Sep 7, 2013
Photo Gallery | Highlights | Postgame Press Conference | Postgame Transcript
GameDay Magazine | /Buckeyes | @OhioStAthletics | @Brutus_Buckeye
Postgame Notes From Ohio State vs. San Diego State
Ohio State - 42, San Diego State - 7
No. 3/2 Ohio State (2-0) 42, San Diego State (0-2) 7
Ohio Stadium - Columbus, Ohio
Sept. 7, 2013
OHIO STATE POSTGAME NOTES
- With the win, Ohio State extended the nation's longest winning streak to 14 games.
- The Buckeyes are now 8-1 all-time vs. members of the Mountain West Conference and 4-0 vs. San Diego State.
- Ohio State has won 63 consecutive regular-season non-conference home games against teams not ranked in the AP Top 25.
- Urban Meyer improved his career record to 44-4 in games played in August/September.
- Four different players rushed for touchdowns in the game vs. the Aztecs. It is the first time Ohio State has had four players with touchdowns since the 2012 opener vs. Miami.
- Through eight quarters of competition, the Ohio State defense has allowed just three offensive touchdowns.
- Senior quarterback Kenny Guiton replaced Braxton Miller in the first quarter and had a career day. He threw for a career-high 152 yards, going 19-for-28 with two touchdowns, as well as a rushing touchdown. He ran for a career-best and game-high 83 yards.
- Guiton's 44-yard touchdown run at 5:33 in the second quarter was a career-long rush for the senior Buckeye.
- Senior wide receiver Corey Brown had touchdown receptions from Guiton in the first and third quarters, respectively, his first career game with multiple TD receptions.
- Freshman running back Dontre Wilson rushed for seven yards in the opening drive to claim his first career touchdown.
- Junior cornerback Doran Grant posted his first interception of the year - and the second of his career - in the first quarter. Sophomore cornerback Armani Reeves' fourth-quarter interception was the first of his career.
- Junior running back Rod Smith scored his first touchdown of the season in the second quarter.
- In his first game back, senior C.J. Barnett led the Buckeyes with seven total tackles.
- Ohio State has scored 44 of its 82 points through its first two games in the first quarter.
- The Buckeye defense forced the Aztec to go three and out on six of their 13 drives in the game.
SAN DIEGO POSTGAME NOTES
- The Aztecs saw their three-game road winning streak snapped. SDSU had won three consecutive road games for the first time since 1980-81.
- San Diego State has lost three straight games for the first time since the final four contests of 2009. The Aztecs had gone 42 games without a losing streak of three or more.
- Today's attendance at Ohio Stadium was 104,984, marking the third-largest crowd the Aztecs have ever played in front of.
- The Aztecs have received the ball first in 17 straight games, dating back to last season, the longest streak in the nation.
- SDSU failed to score in the first quarter for the first time since Oct. 20, 2012 at Nevada. San Diego State had scored in the first quart in six consecutive games.
- The Aztecs were held scoreless in the first half for the first time since Oct. 8, 2011 vs. TCU. SDSU had gone 22 consecutive games wit being shut out in the first half.
- San Diego State has gone 79 games without suffering a shutout (Nov. 18, 2006 at TCU). That was the only time the Aztecs have bee held scoreless in their past 174 games.
- San Diego State falls to 0-4 all-time against Ohio State. All four games have been on the road and three of the four have come again top-10 Buckeye teams.
- Quinn Kaehler, Jr., QB | (22-for-36, 216 yds., 1 TD, 1 INT)
- Finished the game by going 22-for-36 off the bench for 216 yards,1 touchdown and 1 interception.
- His 115.1 efficiency rating was the highest by an Aztec quarterback since Adam Dingwell's rating of 155.73 at Wyoming on Nov. 24, 2012
- Completed his first career Division I five passes.
- Colin Lockett, Sr., WR/KR | (6 rec., 58 yds.) | (5 KR, 105 yds.)
- Became the school's all-time leader in kickoff return yardage. He had 5 returns for 105 yards after entering the game with 61 retur for 1,455 yards. His 1,560 all-time kickoff return yards eclipsed Monty Gilbreath's 1,505 from 1986-89.
- Chad Young, Sr., FB | (1 rec., 2 yds., 1 TD) | ( 1 att., 2 yds.)
- Caught a 2-yard touchdown, his fifth career receiving catch and seventh overall (also two rushing).
- Has a catch in a career-long seven straight games.
- Ezell Ruffin, Jr., WR | (6 rec., 80 yds.)
- Had 6 receptions, surpassing his career high of five vs. Army in 2012).
- Darrell Greene earned his first career start at right guard today.
- Aztecs to see their first-ever action at SDSU today included (3): Quinn Kaehler, Micah Seau and Malik Smith
- Robert Craighead had his first career catch.
- Damontae Kazee had his first career interception in his second career game. He also had a career-high 6 tackles.
- Vaness Harris had a career-high 8 tackles.
- Micah Seau had his first career tackle.