Post Game Notes From 2014 Discover Orange Bowl
Jan. 4, 2014
/Buckeyes | @OhioStAthletics | @Brutus_Buckeye
- The nine BCS bowl game appearances by Ohio State ties Oklahoma for the most ever in the BCS era (does not include 2010 Sugar Bowl).
- The 40-35 loss to Clemson drops Ohio State to 5-4 all-time in BCS bowl games.
- The Buckeyes scored 35 points vs. Clemson and suffered its first all-time loss when hitting that number. Ohio State now is 279-1-1 in games when it scores 35 or more points.
- Head coach Urban Meyer now is 4-1 all-time in BCS bowl games and 7-2 in bowl games overall.
- Coach Meyer is now 26-12 all-time vs. Top 25 teams.
- Carlos Hyde rushed for 113 yards and 1 TD, his ninth consecutive game with at least 100 yards and the 15th of his career.
- Hyde finishes his career with 3,198 career yards for sixth behind Keith Byars at No. 5 (3,200 yards from 1982-85).
- Braxton Miller's 33-yard TD run in the first quarter was his 39th rush of more than 20 yards in his career and his sixth TD rush of at least 20 yards this season.
- Braxton Miller had 2+ TDs through the air and added two on the ground, marking the fourth time this season he has had a pair of each scores in the same game. That is the most in FBS this season. In his career, Miller has accounted for 84 total TDs.
- Miller's two TDs passing moved him into sole possession of fourth all-time at Ohio State with 52 career scoring strikes. Troy Smith (2002-06) is third with 54.
- The 49-yard TD run by Tajh Boyd in the first quarter was the longest against Ohio State this season.
- The 57-yard TD reception by Jeff Heuerman from Miller in the second quarter was his career-long.
- With eight receptions, Corey "Philly" Brown moved into fifth place on Ohio State's all-time receptions list, passing Santonio Holmes (140 from 2003-05). Brown finishes his career with 145 receptions.
- Joshua Perry set a career-best with 10 tackles and seven solo stops. He added a sack as well.
- Ryan Shazier finished the game with nine tackles - seven solo - upping to his season total to 143.
- Vonn Bell recorded his first career INT in the second quarter inside Ohio State's 5-yard line.
- Jamal Marcus recorded a career-high six tackles in his first career start at DE.
- Joey Bosa finished the game with 1.0 TFL, giving him 9.5 TFL in the last six games.
- Cameron Johnston pinned Clemson inside the 20 three times.
- Ohio State now is 39-22 all-time in night games (games starting 5 p.m. local time or after).
- Friday was just the second appearance for Ohio State at the Orange Bowl. The previous was in 1977 vs Colorado.
No. 2 Ohio State falls to Penn State, 24-21
This Is Game Week: Ohio State vs. Penn State