Dec. 26, 2013
|LaQuinton Ross led Ohio State with 16 points vs. the Irish|
Purchase Online | Ohio State Men's Basketball | OhioStateHoops | @OhioStateHoops
@JeffBoals | @Greg_Paulus | @CoachCSpartz | @CoachJDiebler
@DRich111 | @OSUADAthComm | @DWarner_OSU
No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes (12-0) vs. the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks (3-4)
|Date:||Dec. 27, 2013|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Game Time:||7 p.m. ET|
|Television:||Big Ten Network|
|Talent:||Kevin Kugler (play-by-play)|
Jim Jackson (expert analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 91/XM 91|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
Buckeyes Win BlackRock Gotham Classic
LaQuinton Ross (15.5 ppg.), Lenzelle Smith Jr., (15.0 ppg.) and Amir Williams (10.0 ppg.) all averaged better than 10 points over the four games of the 2013 BlackRock Gotham Classic. Ohio State, 4-0 in the event, downed Notre Dame 64-61 last Saturday at Madison Square Garden in New York in the final game of the event. The Buckeyes scored 14 points in the final minute to overcome an eight point deficit. Williams shot 63 percent from the field in the event (17-27). Ross made 7 of 15 from 3-point range (.467) and Smith Jr. connected on 55 percent from the field (18-33) and knocked down 19 of 22 foul shots (.864). He scored all nine of his points vs. Notre Dame in the final minute. Aaron Craft handed out 16 assists, becoming Ohio State's all-time leader in that category, while also climbing the all-time steals list, to No. 3, with 10 over the last four games. Shannon Scott also was credited with 16 helpers and led the Buckeyes with 11 steals in the Gotham event.
Ohio State Records 10+ Win Streak for 13th Time
With 12 wins this season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the sixth year in which an Ohio State team has won 10 or more games to start the year.
|1950||12||22-4||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|1960||13||25-3||NCAA National Champions|
|1961||27*||27-1||NCAA Final Four|
|1962||22*||26-2||NCAA Final Four|
|1971||11||20-6||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|1991||17*||27-4||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|2006||11*||26-6||NCAA Second Round|
|2011||24*||34-3||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|2013||11||29-3||NCAA Regional Finals|
11 seasons ended with 20 or more wins (1950-60-61-62-63-71-91-2006-07-11-13)
11 seasons resulted in Big Ten Championship (1933-50-60-61-62-63-71-91-2006-07-11)
10 seasons led to NCAA tournament appearance (1950-60-61-62-71-91-06-07-11-13)
8 seasons resulted in NCAA Sweet 16 appearance (1960-61-62-71-91-07-11-13)
6 seasons started with 10 or more wins (1961-62-91-2006-11-14)
4 seasons resulted in NCAA Final Four appearance (1960-61-62-07)
2 seasons resulted in 30+ wins (2007, 2011)
1 season resulted in NCAA National title (1960)
Buckeyes Among National Stat Leaders
After 12 games, Ohio State ranks No. 3 nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.250), No. 5 in scoring defense (55.9 ppg.), No. 3 in fewest fouls per game (15.3), No. 6 in scoring margin (19.3 ppg.) and No. 13 in field goal percentage defense (.379). Aaron Craft is No. 12 nationally in total steals (31). Shannon Scott is No. 24 (27).
Buckeyes Heat up in December
In five of the last seven games the Buckeyes have connected on better than 52 percent of its field goals in each game. The best shooting effort over the first five games of the season was a 47.7 percent effort in the season opener vs. Morgan State (31-65). In wins vs. North Florida (36-52/.692), Maryland (25-48/.521), Central Connecticut State (29-55/.527), Bryant (32-61/.525) and North Dakota State (27-52/.529) the Buckeyes combined to shoot 56 percent from the field (149-267). LaQuinton Ross averaged 17.4 points over those games on 56 percent shooting from the field (32-57). Aaron Craft (17-27/.630) and Amir Williams (22-30/.733) were the most efficient during that stretch. Lenzelle Smith Jr. connected on 61 percent of his shots (26-43). The last time the Buckeyes hit on half their shots over five games was in 1991-92 when the Buckeyes started the season with six-consecutive games shooting 50 percent or better. The latest streak of five-consecutive games shooting 50 percent or better is the longest under Thad Matta since he took over the Ohio State program for the 2004-05 season.
The Louisiana-Monroe Series
Ohio State and Louisiana-Monroe have not met previously in men's basketball.
A Look at Warhawks
Louisiana-Monroe enters the game with the Buckeyes with a 3-4 record following a loss to Louisiana Tech last Sunday. ULM fell in the season opener at Kansas 80-63 before three-consecutive wins vs. Samford, at Northwestern State and Thomas University. The Warhawks enter the game with the Buckeyes on a three-game losing streak (at LSU, at Mississippi and Louisiana Tech). ULM is led by Amos Olatayo (15.6 ppg.), Tylor Ongwae (13.6 ppg.) and Jayon James and Marvin Williams (10.1 ppg. each) James is the team`s leading rebounder with 7.4 boards a contest. Like the Buckeyes, the Warhawks are one of the nation`s best teams at defending the 3-point shot. ULM has allowed opponents to score from behind the arc on just 30 percent of their attempts (39-131).
Ohio State vs. The Sun Belt Conference
The Buckeyes are 7-1 all-time against teams currently making up the Sun Belt Conference roster of teams. The Buckeyes are 2-0 vs. Texas-Arlington, 2-1 vs. both South Alabama and Western Kentucky and 1-1 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette. Ohio State has never faced Arkansas-Little Rock, Arkansas State, Georgia State, ULM, Texas State or Troy. The Buckeyes have not faced a Sun Belt Conference member since a 68-64 loss at Louisiana-Lafayette Dec. 17, 1997.
Noting the Notre Dame Game
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Notre Dame 8-4 and is 66-42 all-time vs. teams currently representing the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).
- The Buckeyes scored 17 points in the first 19:10 of the second half and 14 in the final 50 seconds. Trailing 58-50, OSU outscored the Irish 14-3 over the final 50 seconds of play to claim the win.
- Four players scored in double figures for Ohio State: LaQuinton Ross (16 points), Amir Williams (13), Aaron Craft (10) and Shannon Scott (10).
- With 12 wins to start the 2013-14 season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the fifth year in which an Ohio State team has won 10 or more games to start the season.
- As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 467-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 333-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- Ohio State held Notre Dame to a season-low 4-of-14 shooting from 3-point range (28.6 percent). Opponents are shooting 25 percent (50-200) from behind the arc against the Buckeyes this season. Entering the game, OSU was ranked second nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense.
- The Buckeyes owned a commanding 40-26 edge in points scored in the paint and outscored the Irish 17-6 on the fast break.
- Thad Matta is 262-73 during his career at Ohio State and 364-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 214-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta has directed Ohio State to at least 10 wins during non-conference play in each of his 10 seasons in Columbus. Matta is 132-23 vs. non-conference competition.
- Matta is 61-9 in the month of December as OSU head coach.
- LaQuinton Ross posted his second career double-double with 16 points and a career-high 11 rebounds.
- Ross has scored in double figures in six of the last seven games.
- Aaron Craft collected three steals against Notre Dame. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 279. He needs 22 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 46 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
- Craft had three assists against the Fighting Irish. He is Ohio State's all-time assist leader with 586 for his career.
- Craft scored 10 points. He ranks 43rd all-time at Ohio State with 1,092 career points. He needs nine points to pass Mel Nowell (1,100) for 42nd.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. scored all nine of his points in the final 45 seconds of play.
For More on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights