Dec. 19, 2013
|Aaron Craft is No. 3 in Big Ten History with 276 career steals. He had four thefts vs. Delaware.|
Ohio State Notes
Notre Dame Notes
Big Ten Notes
BlackRock Gotham Classic Notes
Download BlackRock Gotham Classic Program
Preview: Coach Matta
Preview: Craft and Smith Jr.
Ohio State Men's Basketball
No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0) vs. The Notre Dame Fighting Irish (8-3)
|Date:||Dec. 21, 2013|
|Site:||Madison Square Garden (18,200)|
|Game Time:||7:30 p.m. ET|
|Talent:||Dan Shulman (play-by-play)|
Dan Dakich (expert analysis)
Jeff Goodman (Sideline)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 92/XM 190|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
BlackRock Gotham Classic Game Program
The BlackRock Gotham Classic Program is available via the "College Hoops Events" mobile app. Fans can access the program by scanning the QR Code at go.osu.edu/MBB_Hoops_Events. Ohio State's BlackRock Gotham Classic opponents are Bryant (W 86-48), North Dakota State (W 79-62), Delaware and Notre Dame.
Ohio State Records 10+ Win Streak in 13th Year
With 11 wins this season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the sixth year in which an Ohio State team has won 10 or more games to start the year.
* Win streak at start of season
|1950||12||22-4||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|1960||13||25-3||NCAA National Champions|
|1961||27*||27-1||NCAA Final Four|
|1962||22*||26-2||NCAA Final Four|
|1971||11||20-6||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|1991||17*||27-4||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|2006||11*||26-6||NCAA Second Round|
|2011||24*||34-3||NCAA Regional Semifinals|
|2013||11||29-3||NCAA Regional Finals|
11 seasons ended with 20 or more wins
11 seasons resulted in Big Ten Championship
10 seasons led to NCAA tournament appearance
8 seasons resulted in NCAA Sweet 16 appearance
6 seasons started with 10 or more wins
4 seasons resulted in NCAA Final Four appearance
2 seasons resulted in 30+ wins (2007, 2011)
1 season resulted in NCAA National title (1960)
Buckeyes Among National Stat Leaders
After 11 games, Ohio State ranks No. 2 nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.247), No. 3 in scoring defense (55.5 ppg.) and fewest fouls per game (15.0) and No. 5 in scoring margin (20.7 ppg.) and field goal percentage defense (.373).
Ross Named B1G POW
Junior LaQuinton Ross earned Big Ten Player of the week honors Dec. 9 following back-to-back 20-point scoring games in wins over Maryland and Central Connecticut State. Ross averaged 21.5 points in the wins while shooting 61.5 percent from the field (16-26) and 50 percent from 3-point range (4-8). He scored 20 points in the Maryland win and then tallied a career high 23 points vs. the Blue Devils of CCSU.
Buckeyes Heating up in December
In five of the last six games the Buckeyes have connected on better than 52 percent of its field goals in each game. The best shooting effort over the first five games of the season was a 47.7 percent effort in the season opener vs. Morgan State (31-65). In wins vs. North Florida (36-52/.692), Maryland (25-48/.521), Central Connecticut State (29-55/.527), Bryant (32-61/.525) and North Dakota State (27-52/.529) the Buckeyes combined to shoot 56 percent from the field (149-267). LaQuinton Ross averaged 17.4 points over those games on 56 percent shooting from the field (32-57). Aaron Craft (17-27/.630) and Amir Williams (22-30/.733) were the most efficient that stretch. Lenzelle Smith Jr. connected on 61 percent of his shots (26-43). The last time the Buckeyes hit on half their shots over five games was in 1991-92 when the Buckeyes started the season with six-consecutive games shooting 50 percent or better from the field. The latest streak of five-consecutive games shooting 50 percent or better is the longest under Thad Matta since he took over the Ohio State program for the 2004-05 season.
The Notre Dame Series
Ohio State owns a 7-4 lead in the series with Notre Dame. Ohio State has won four of the last five, including the last meeting in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium Dec. 6, 2008. Ohio State was unranked in the 67-62 win over the No. 7 Irish.
Last Time vs. Notre Dame
Evan Turner scored a then career-high 28 points and Ohio State spoiled Luke Harangody's return to the lineup with a 67-62 victory over No. 7 Notre Dame, the unbeaten Buckeyes' second straight upset of a ranked opponent. Harangody led Notre Dame with 25 points and 16 rebounds, but Ohio State took a 30-28 lead at halftime and built the margin to as many as 10 points in the second half. A 3-pointer by Tory Jackson pulled Notre Dame within 63-62 with 26 seconds to go, but Turner and Jeremie Simmons hit two free throws each in the closing seconds. Freshman B.J. Mullens added a season-high 11 points for the Buckeyes, who were coming off a 73-68 upset at No. 21 Miami. Jackson added 13 points for the Irish. The Buckeyes were on a 10-game win streak, the longest in Division I at the time after five victories to end the 2007-08 season and five to start 2008-09. Turner recorded a double-double in the win with 10 rebounds while also adding five assists.
A Look at The Fighting Irish
Notre Dame enters the game with the Buckeyes with an overall record of 8-3 following a win over Indiana (79-72) Dec. 14 at the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis. The Fighting Irish losses have been at home to Indiana State and North Dakota State and on the road at Iowa in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Notre Dame is 2-1 in the BlackRock Gotham Classic, defeating Delaware and Bryant before the loss to NDSU. The Irish are led by senior guard Jerian Grant with 19.1 points per game. Senior center and Kenton, Ohio, native Garrick Sherman (14.3 ppg.), junior guard Pat Connaughton (13.9 ppg.) and senior guard Eric Atkins (11.9 ppg.) also contribute double figures offensively. Sherman (7.5 rpg.) and Connaughton (7.3 rpg.) lead the team in rebounds.
Ohio State vs. The Atlantic Coast Conference
Ohio State is 65-42 all-time against teams currently in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Pittsburgh and the Buckeyes have played the most with Ohio State owning the edge in the series 15-10. The Buckeyes are 7-4 vs. Notre Dame.
Matta Extends Streak vs. Non-Conference Foes
Thad Matta has directed Ohio State to at least 10 wins during non-conference play in each of his 10 seasons in Columbus. Matta is 131-23 vs. non-conference competition at Ohio State and 130-50 vs. Big Ten foes (regular season and Big Ten tournament games) for an overall record of 261-73. In 13 seasons as a head coach (1 at Butler, 3 at Xavier and 10 at Ohio State) Matta is 133-52 vs. the Big Ten. He has winning records vs. 10 league teams (ILL (12-5), IND (11-7), IOWA (11-4), MICH (17-4), MINN (10-5), NW (15-1), PSU (17-0), PUR (14-6) and NEB (5-0). Matta is 10-9 vs. MSU and 11-11 vs. Wisconsin.
Craft a Nominee for 2014 Good Works Team
The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and Allstate Insurance Company announced the 202 nominees for the 2014 Allstate NABC and WBCA Good Works Teams® Dec. 3. The award recognizes a select group of college basketball student-athletes who have made significant contributions to the greater good of their communities through volunteerism and civic service. In its second year, the Allstate NABC and WBCA Good Works Teams® honor players at all levels of college basketball who represent the sport's finest in the areas of leadership and charitable achievements amongst their peers. The student-athletes nominated for this prestigious award embody the true spirit of teamwork and giving back. The 2014 Allstate NABC Good Works Teams (two five-man teams) will be announced in February 2014, selected from the list of nominees.
Noting the Delaware Game
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Delaware 3-0 and is 8-2 all-time vs. teams currently representing the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).
- The final game of the BlackRock Gotham Classic is set for this Saturday, Dec. 21, vs. Notre Dame at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Game time is 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
- The Buckeyes went on a 12-0 run over the final 3:31 of the first half. The run extended to 15-0 entering the second half.
- Five players scored in double figures for Ohio State: LaQuinton Ross (19), Lenzelle Smith Jr. (14), Aaron Craft (12), Amir Williams (11) and Amedeo Della Valle (10).
- With 10 wins to start the 2013-14 season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the sixth year in which an Ohio State team has won 10 or more games to start the season.
- Ohio State has won 77-consecutive home games against unranked opponents, 50 consecutive against unranked nonconference opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Ohio State is 107-6 all-time vs. non-conference opponents at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 466-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 332-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- OSU held a 25-16 edge on the glass. This season the Buckeyes have outrebounded opponents on seven occasions, posting a 408-371 overall advantage.
- The Buckeyes held Delaware to a season-low 64 points. Entering the game, Ohio State ranked third nationally in scoring defense (54.6 ppg).
- Thad Matta is 261-73 during his career at Ohio State and 363-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 215-22 record as Ohio State head coach. Matta is 143-2 against unranked opponents at home.
- Matta has directed Ohio State to at least 10 wins during non-conference play in each of his 10 seasons in Columbus. Matta is 131-23 vs. non-conference competition.
- Matta owns a 163-14 home record as head coach of the Buckeyes.
- Matta is 60-9 in the month of December as OSU head coach.
- LaQuinton Ross led all scorers with 19 points.
- Ross totaled a career-high three blocks.
- Ross has scored in double figures in five of the last six games.
- Aaron Craft collected four steals against Delaware. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 276. He needs 25 steals to pass Gary Grant (300) for second all-time and 49 to pass Bruce Douglas.
- With three rebounds, Craft reached 400 for his career.
- Craft had four assists against the Blue Hens. He is Ohio State's all-time assist leader with 583 for his career.
- Craft scored 12 points. He ranks 43rd all-time at Ohio State with 1,082 career points. He needs 19 points to pass Mel Nowell (1,100) for 42nd.
- Amir Williams posted his third career double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.