Dec. 13, 2013
|Shannon Scott recorded five steals vs. Bryant.|
Ohio State Notes
Big Ten Notes/Stats
Preview: Coach Matta
Preview: Lorbach, Scott & McDonald
Download BlackRock Gotham Classic Program
Ohio State Men's Basketball
No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes (9-0) vs. The North Dakota State Bison (7-3)
|Date:||Dec. 14, 2013|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Game Time:||8:15 p.m. ET|
|Talent:||Tom Hamilton (play-by-play)|
Stephen Bardo (expert analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 134/XM 195|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
BlackRock Gotham Classic Game Program
The BlackRock Gotham Classic Program is available via the "College Hoops Events" mobile app. Fans can access the program by scanning the QR Code at http://go.osu.edu/MBB_Hoops_Events. Ohio State's BlackRock Gotham Classic opponents are Bryant (W 86-48), North Dakota State, Delaware and Notre Dame.
Ross Names B1G POW
Junior LaQuinton Ross earned Big Ten Player of the week honors following back-to-back 20-point scoring games in wins over Maryland and Central Connecticut State. Ross averaged 21.5 points in the wins while shooting 61.5 percent from the field (16-26) and 50 percent from 3-point range (4-8). He scored 20 points in the Maryland win and then tallied a career high 23 points vs. the Blue Devils of CCSU.
Buckeyes Heating up in December
Over the last four games the Buckeyes have connected on better than 52 percent of its field goals in each game. The best shooting effort over the first five games of the season was a 47.7 percent effort in the season opener vs. Morgan State (31-65). In wins vs. North Florida (36-52/.692), Maryland (25-48/.521), Central Connecticut State (29-55/.527) and Bryant (32-61/.525), the Buckeyes have combined to shoot 57 percent from the field (122-216). LaQuinton Ross is averageing 17.3 points over the last four games on 58 percent shooting from the field (26-45). Aaron Craft (15-22/.682) and Amir Williams (20-27/.741) have been the most efficient in the stretch. Lenzelle Smith Jr. has connected on 61 percent of his shots (19-31). The last time the Buckeyes hit on half their shots over four games was in 2008-09 vs. Michigan State (23-42/.548), Michigan (25-44/.568), at Indiana (29-46/.630) and Purdue (32-53/.604). Ohio State has not put together a string of five-consecutive games shooting 50 percent or better since Thad Matta took over for the 2004-05 season.
- Ohio State has won 33-consecutive games when shooting 50 percent or better
- Ohio State has won 64 of the last 65 games when shooting 50 percent or better
- Last loss when shooting 50 percent or better -- 71-67, Feb. 12, 2011 at Wisconsin (25-46)/.543)
The North Dakota State Series
Ohio State and North Dakota State will be meeting for the first time in men's basketball.
A Look at the Bison
North Dakota State is on a five game win streak entering the game vs. the Buckeyes. The Bison downed Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., Wednesday before traveling directly to Columbus. NDSU defeated the Irish 73-69. The Bison started the season with a 2-3 record before wins at Santa Clara, vs. Rider, vs. Valley City State, at Bryant and at Notre Dame. NDSU has four scorers in double figures after 10 games (7-3). Senior guard Taylor Braun leads the way with 16.2 points per game. He is followed by senior forward Marshall Bjorklund (15.2 ppg.), senior forward TrayVonn Wright (12.1 ppg.) and freshman forward Dexter Werner (12.0 ppg.). Werner is the squad`s top rebounder with 9.0 boards a game.
Ohio State vs. The Summit League
Ohio State is 5-1 all-time vs. teams currently representing the Summit League. Ohio State is 2-1 vs. Denver, 2-0 vs. South Dakota and 1-0 vs. IUPUI. The Buckeyes have not faced IPFW, Nebraska-Omaha, NDSU, South Dakota State or Western Illinois. IUPUI was the last league representative to face the Buckeyes. No. 2 Ohio State defeated IUPUI 75-64 Dec. 9, 2010 in Columbus.
Craft a Nominee for 2014 Good Works Team
The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and Allstate Insurance Company announced the 202 nominees for the 2014 Allstate NABC and WBCA Good Works Teams® Dec. 3. The award recognizes a select group of college basketball student-athletes who have made significant contributions to the greater good of their communities through volunteerism and civic service. In its second year, the Allstate NABC and WBCA Good Works Teams® honor players at all levels of college basketball who represent the sport's finest in the areas of leadership and charitable achievements amongst their peers. The student-athletes nominated for this prestigious award embody the true spirit of teamwork and giving back. The 2014 Allstate NABC Good Works Teams (two five-man teams) will be announced in February 2014, selected from the list of nominees.
Noting the Bryant Game
- The game Wednesday was the first meeting between Ohio State and Bryant. Ohio State is 10-0 all-time vs. members of the Northeast Conference. OSU defeated conference member Central Connecticut State 74-56 Saturday.
- The Buckeyes shot 52.5 percent (32-61) for the game, their fourth-consecutive game shooting better than 50 percent as a team. The last time OSU hit on half its shots over a four game stretch was in 2008-09 (Michigan State, Michigan, at Indiana, Purdue).
- Ohio State has won 75-consecutive home games against unranked opponents, 48 consecutive against unranked non-conference opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Ohio State is 105-6 all-time vs. non-conference opponents at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 464-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 330-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- Ohio State scored 33 bench points vs. Bryant. The Buckeye bench has outscored opposing benches 197-106 this season.
- Ohio State held Bryant to 6-24 shooting from 3-point range. Opponents are shooting 22.5 percent (34-151) from 3 against OSU this season.
- The Buckeyes scored 22 points off of 19 Bryant turnovers. Ohio State had 13 steals as a team, the third time this season OSU has had 10 or more team steals in a game.
- OSU owned a commanding 44-18 edge in points scored in the paint.
- All 10 players that saw playing time scored for Ohio State.
- Ohio State had a season-high 10 blocks as a team.
- The Buckeyes held Bryant scoreless for the final 5:27 of play in the first half, outscoring the Bulldogs 15-3 and forcing Bryant into eight-consecutive missed shots.
- Thad Matta is 259-73 during his career at Ohio State and 361-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 213-22 record as Ohio State head coach. Matta is 141-2 against unranked opponents at home.
- Matta owns a 161-14 home record as head coach of the Buckeyes.
- Matta is 58-9 in the month of December as OSU head coach.
- Aaron Craft ranks 45th all-time at Ohio State with 1,064 career points. He needs 10 to pass Carter Scott for 44th.
- Craft collected two steals against the Bulldogs. With 271 career steals, Craft remains sixth all-time in Big Ten history. He needs two steals to pass Pat Baldwin of Northwestern (272) for fifth.
- Craft had four assists against Bryant. He ranks second on the all-time list at Ohio State with 574. He needs six assists to pass Jamar Butler (579) for first.
- Amir Williams tied a career high with six blocks. The last time Williams recorded six blocks was vs. Iowa (1/22/13).
- Jake Lorbach recorded a career-high six points on 3-of-3 shooting.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.