Dec. 3, 2013
|Amedeo Della Valle scored a career high 17 points vs. North Florida last week.|
Ohio State Notes
Big Ten Notes/Stats
Ohio State Men's Basketball
No. 5 Ohio State Buckeyes (6-0) vs. the Maryland Terrapins (5-2)
|Date:||Dec. 4, 2013|
|Site:||Value City Arena (18,809)|
|Game Time:||7 p.m. ET|
|Talent:||Dave O'Brien (play-by-play)|
Bob Knight (expert analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 91/XM 91|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
Buckeyes in the Challenge
Ohio State has participated in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge for the last 12 years and has a 5-6 record in the event. The Buckeyes first took part in the event during the 2002-03 season against Duke in Greensboro, N.C., a 91-75 Blue Devils' victory. Ohio State defeated Virginia Tech in Columbus in 2005-06, 69-59, for its first victory in the event. The 2011 game vs. Duke in Columbus pitted the highest combined ranking of Ohio State (2) and Duke (3) in the Buckeyes' previous Challenge games. That record was nearly tied last year with the No. 4 Buckeyes traveling to No. 2 Duke. Ohio State was No. 3 and North Carolina came in at No. 7 in the 2006 Challenge. Ohio State has faced a ranked ACC opponent eight times in the Challenge. The Buckeyes have won four of the last five Challenge games and are 3-2 at home in the event.
The Buckeyes In Big Ten/ACC Challenge
|12/3/02||vs. No. 4 Duke||L||76-91(4)|
|12/3/03||No. 13 Georgia Tech||L||53-73(13)|
|11/29/06||at No. 7 North Carolina||L||89(3)-98(7)|
|11/29/07||No. 1 North Carolina||L||55-66(1)|
|12/2/08||at No. 21 Miami, Fla.||W||73-68(21)|
|12/2/09||No. 21 Florida State||W||77(15)-64(21)|
|11/30/10||at Florida State||W||58(2)-44|
|11/29/11||No. 3 Duke||W||85(2)-63(3)|
|11/28/12||at No. 2 Duke||L||68(4)-73(2)|
|12/4/13||Maryland|| || |
Current Ohio State associate head coach Dave Dickerson both played and coached at Maryland. In nine years as an assistant, the Terrapins advanced to postseason play each year, winning the national title in 2002, winning 20-plus games eight times and playing in two Final Fours. Ohio State freshman guard Kam Williams is a native of Baltimore, Md. Former Ohio State head coach Gary Williams left Ohio State for the Maryland job after the 1989 season. He led the Terrapins to the national title in 2002. As a Buckeye, Gary Williams won 20 games twice and 19 in his final season (1989-90). He was 59-41 overall before returning to his alma mater.
Craft, Smith Jr., Win No. 100
The Ohio State senior class of Aaron Craft and Lenzelle Smith Jr. has recorded 100 victories over their careers (119 career games). The win vs. North Florida Nov. 29 gave the pair the Ohio State record for 100 wins in the fewest possible games (119). William Buford (2008-11) held the previous record with 100 wins in his first 124 career games. The Craft and Smith Jr. duo were part of a team that won 34 games during their rookie campaign in 2011. Their sophomore season concluded with 31 wins and a trip to the 2012 Final Four in New Orleans. As juniors the pair led the Buckeyes to 29 wins and a trip to the Elite Eight in Los Angeles. Ohio State has averaged just over 31 wins a season the last three years. If the two reach that average as seniors, they would become the winningest four-year senior class in Ohio State history. David Lighty, who graduated in 2011, recorded 129 career wins in just over four seasons of competition. He played in seven games, all wins, during his junior season before breaking a bone in his right foot, ending his season. He was awarded an additional season of eligibility and won 63 more games as a Buckeye following his recovery from injury.
Craft Working on Historic Career
Senior Aaron Craft became the first Buckeye in history to record 500 assists, 200 steals and 1,000 career points after a 10-point, 10-assist effort at No. 17 Marquette Nov. 16. He also could reach 500 career rebounds as well (388). Craft is the 50th Buckeye to reach 1,000 career points (1,040). He already is the Ohio State career record holder in steals with 263, only the second Buckeye with 200 or more. With three steals against Ohio University Nov. 12, he became just the third player in Big Ten history to accumulate more than 500 career assists and 250 career steals. Craft became the third Buckeye in history to reach 500 career assists with eight vs. Nebraska March 15, 2013. He has a career total of 562, No. 2 all-time at Ohio State. Jamar Butler owns the Ohio State record with 579 helpers from 2005-08.
Ohio State in the Big Ten
The Buckeyes are holding opponents to 53.3 points per game to lead the Big Ten in scoring defense. The Buckeyes are No. 2 in scoring margin (+21.2 ppg.), No. 2 in 3-point percentage defense (.245) and No. 3 in field goal percentage defense (.353). Junior Amir Williams leads the conference in field goal percentage (25-37/.676) and offensive rebounds (4.2). Aaron Craft is No. 4 in assists per game (5.3) and No. 2 in steals (2.5). Shannon Scott is No. 3 in steals with 2.2 spg.
The Maryland Series
Ohio State and Maryland have met five times previously with the Buckeyes owning a 3-2 advantage. Ohio State defeated the Terrapins 78-66 in Columbus when the squads last met Nov. 30, 1985. The Buckeyes first won in the series March 12, 1979 in a National Invitation Tournament game at Maryland (79-72). The Buckeyes then won a neutral site game Dec. 1, 1982 in East Rutherford, N.J. Maryland won the series opener 50-41 in College Park Dec. 29, 1935. Maryland also won a home game Dec. 11, 1984, 76-63. Maryland will join the Big Ten following this season.
A Look at the Terrapins
Maryland started the season with a 1-2 record before four-consecutive wins to enter the Ohio State game with a 5-2 record. The last four wins have come against Marist, Northern Iowa, Providence and Morgan State (89-62). Ohio State opened the season vs. Morgan State, an 89-50 victory for the Buckeyes. The Terrapins are led by a trio averaging double figures offensively. Sophomore guard Jake Layman (16.4 ppg.), Evan Smotrycz, a junior Michigan transfer (13.7 ppg.) and Xavier transfer Dez Wells (12.9 ppg.) pace the Terps. Smotrycz is the leading rebounder with 7.6 rpg.
Ohio State vs. The Atlantic Coast Conference
The Buckeyes are 65-42 all-time against teams currently representing the Atlantic Coast Conference. Duke was the last team from the ACC to face the Buckeyes. The Blue Devils won a year ago in Durham, N.C.
Craft a Nominee for 2014 Good Works Team
The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and Allstate Insurance Company announced the 202 nominees for the 2014 Allstate NABC and WBCA Good Works Teams® Dec. 3. The award recognizes a select group of college basketball student-athletes who have made significant contributions to the greater good of their communities through volunteerism and civic service. In its second year, the Allstate NABC and WBCA Good Works Teams® honor players at all levels of college basketball who represent the sport's finest in the areas of leadership and charitable achievements amongst their peers. The student-athletes nominated for this prestigious award embody the true spirit of teamwork and giving back. The 2014 Allstate NABC Good Works Teams (two five-man teams) will be announced in February 2014, selected from the list of nominees.
Noting the North Florida Game
- Aaron Craft and Lenzelle Smith Jr. have recorded 100 victories in 119 career games. The duo is the fastest to 100 wins in Ohio State history - William Buford (2008-11) held the previous record, reaching 100 victories in 124 career games.
- Craft and Smith Jr. are second only to the current Kansas senior class nationally in quickest to 100 wins. The KU class won its 100th game in 116 games.
- Ohio State is 2-0 all-time vs. North Florida and 14-0 vs. current members of the Atlantic Sun Conference.
- Five players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Amir Williams (18 points), LaQuinton Ross (17), Amedeo Della Valle (17), Aaron Craft (16) and Lenzelle Smith Jr. (10).
- Ohio State has won 72-consecutive home games against unranked opponents, 45 consecutive against unranked non-conference opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Ohio State is 103-6 all-time vs. non-conference opponents at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, No. 7 Ohio State is 461-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 327-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- The Buckeyes totaled season highs in: field goal percentage (69.2 percent/36-52), 3-point field goals made (14), points (99) and assists (20).
- Ohio State shot 70.4 percent from the field in the first half (19-27). The last time the Buckeyes shot 70 percent or better in a half was in the second half of a March 15, 2013 victory over Nebraska (77.3 percent/17-22).
- OSU owned a 36-20 edge in points in the paint.
- The Ohio State bench outscored the North Florida bench 29-9. The Buckeye bench has outscored opposing benches 129-50 this season.
- OSU opened the game on a 24-6 run while shooting 12-13 from the field.
- The OSU starters began the game 15-15 from the field prior to Aaron Craft's miss at 4:30 of the first half.
- Thad Matta is 256-73 during his career at Ohio State and 358-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 210-22 record as Ohio State head coach. Matta is 138-2 against unranked opponents at home.
- Matta owns a 158-14 home record as head coach of the Buckeyes.
- Matta is 49-6 in the month of November as OSU head coach.
- Aaron Craft ranks 47th all-time at Ohio State with 1,040 career points. He needs 16 points to pass Ken Johnson and Jamie Skelton for 46th.
- Craft collected one steal against the Ospreys. With 263 career steals, Craft remains sixth all-time in Big Ten history. He needs 10 to pass Pat Baldwin of Northwestern (272) for fifth.
- Craft had five assists against North Florida. He ranks second on the all-time list at Ohio State with 562. He needs 18 assists to pass Jamar Butler (579) for first.
- Amir Williams led all scorers with a career-high 18 points.
- Amedeo Della Valle scored a career-high 17 points and connected on a career-best five 3-point field goals.
- LaQuinton Ross scored a season-high 17 points.
- Ross connected on a career-best four 3-point field goals.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. passed 400 career rebounds (403).
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.