Ohio State Notes
Big Ten Notes
Ohio State Men's Basketball
No. 8 Ohio State Buckeyes (4-0) vs. Wyoming Cowboys (4-1)
|Date:||Nov. 25, 2013|
|Site:||Value City Arena (18,809)|
|Game Time:||7 p.m.|
|Television:||Big Ten Network|
|Talent:||Eric Collins (play-by-play)|
Jim Jackson (expert analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 134|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
Craft Working on Historic Career
Senior Aaron Craft became the first Buckeye in history to record 500 assists, 200 steals and 1,000 career points after a 10-point, 10-assist effort at No. 17 Marquette Nov. 16. He also could reach 500 career rebounds as well (384). Craft is the 50th Buckeye to reach 1,000 career points (1,014). He already is the Ohio State career record holder in steals with 261, only the second Buckeye with 200 or more. With three steals against Ohio University Nov. 12, he became just the third player in Big Ten history to accumulate more than 500 career assists and 250 career steals. Craft became the third Buckeye in history to reach 500 career assists with eight vs. Nebraska March 15, 2013. He has a career total of 554, No. 2 all-time at Ohio State. Jamar Butler owns the Ohio State record with 579 helpers from 2005-08.
Ross, Craft Selected to Wooden List
A pair of Buckeyes were selected to the John R. Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 list Nov. 12. Chosen by a preseason poll of national college basketball experts, the list is comprised of 50 student-athletes who are the early front-runners for the sport's most prestigious honor. The award is presented annually by the Los Angeles Athletic Club. The 2014 winner will be named at the club the weekend of April 11-12.
USBWA Places Craft on Preseason List
Aaron Craft is among 15 players selected (Nov. 5) to the preseason watch list for the Oscar Robertson Trophy, presented annually to the national player of the year by the United States Basketball Writers Association. Evan Turner (2010) was the last Buckeye to earn national player of the year honors. Jerry Lucas claimed the USBWA award twice (1961, 1962).
The Wyoming Series
The Buckeyes are 2-1 all-time vs. Wyoming but have not faced the Cowboys since the 1995-96 season. The teams have played neutral-site contests the last two times out, a 73-63 victory for the Buckeyes in the National Invitation Tournament title game in 1986 (3/26/86) and in the Casper Shootout, a 73-67 win for the Cowboys in Casper, Wyo. (12/29/95). The teams first met Jan. 3, 1945 in Columbus, a 44-36 victory for the Buckeyes.
A Look at the Cowboys
Wyoming has started the season with a 4-1 record with wins over Tennessee-Martin, Arkansas State, Jackson State and South Dakota, all at home. The Cowboys fell at Colorado 63-58 in the second game of the year. Wyoming is led by junior guard Riley Grabau with 15.6 points per game. He is followed by junior forward Larry Nance Jr. (11.8 ppg.) and sophomore guard Josh Adams (11.2 ppg.). Nance Jr. is the team leader in rebounds with 8.4 boards a game.
Ohio State vs. The Mountain West Conference
The Buckeyes have an all-time record of 8-6 vs. members of the Mountain West Conference. Ohio State has faced off against seven of 11 conference members. The last time Ohio State played a member of the Mountain West was Nov. 24, 2003 vs. San Diego State in the Maui Classic. The Buckeyes fell in that game 83-61.
Noting the American Game
- Ohio State is 5-0 all-time against American and 19-3 against members of the Patriot League.
- Ohio State has won 70-consecutive home games against unranked opponents, 43 against unranked non-conference opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Ohio State is 101-6 all-time vs. non-conference opponents at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, No. 8 Ohio State is 459-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 325-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- The Ohio State bench outscored the American bench 17-2.
- OSU scored 26 points off of 27 American turnovers. It was the most turnovers forced by Ohio State in a game since the Buckeyes forced 27 against Nebraska on Jan. 21, 2012.
- Ohio State totaled 15 steals as a team, the most since forcing 11 vs. Minnesota Jan. 9, 2010.
- OSU owned a 22-6 edge in fast break points.
- Thad Matta is 254-73 during his career at Ohio State and 356-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 208-22 record as Ohio State head coach. Matta is 136-2 against unranked opponents at home.
- Matta is 47-6 in the month of November as OSU head coach.
- Aaron Craft ranks 49th all-time at Ohio State with 1,014 career points. He needs nine to pass Jason Singleton (1,022) for 48th.
- Craft tied a career high with seven steals against the Eagles, the second most in a single game in school history.
- With 261 career steals, Craft passed Brian Cardinal of Purdue (259) for sixth all-time in the Big Ten. He needs 12 to pass Pat Baldwin of Northwestern (272) for fifth.
- With four assists against American, Craft ranks second on the all-time list at Ohio State with 554. He needs 26 assists to pass Jamar Butler (579) for first.
- Amir Williams led the Ohio State scoring effort with a career-high 16 points.
- Williams passed 200 points for his career (215).
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. played in his 100th career game against the Eagles. He has 80 career starts.
- Shannon Scott tied a career high with nine rebounds.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.