Purchase Online | Ohio State Men's Basketball | OhioStateHoops | @OhioStateHoops
@JeffBoals | @Greg_Paulus | @CoachCSpartz | @CoachJDiebler
@DRich111 | @OSUADAthComm | @DWarner_OSU
No. 8 Ohio State Buckeyes (3-0) vs. American University Eagles (1-1)
|Date:||Nov. 20, 2013|
|Site:||Value City Arena (18,809)|
|Game Time:||7:30 p.m. ET|
|Television:||Big Ten Network|
|Talent:||Eric Collins (play-by-play)|
Jim Jackson (expert analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 85/XM 85|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
Craft Working on Historic Career
Senior Aaron Craft became the first Buckeye in history to record 500 assists, 200 steals and 1,000 career points after a 10-point, 10-assist effort at No. 17 Marquette Nov. 16. He also could reach 500 career rebounds as well (382). Craft is the 50th Buckeye to reach 1,000 career points (1,005). He already is the Ohio State career record holder in steals with 254, only the second Buckeye with 200 or more. With three steals against Ohio University Nov. 12, he became just the third player in Big Ten history to accumulate more than 500 career assists and 250 career steals. Craft became the third Buckeye in history to reach 500 career assists with eight vs. Nebraska March 15, 2013. He has a career total of 550, No. 2 all-time at Ohio State. Jamar Butler owns the Ohio State record with 579 helpers from 2005-08.
Ross, Craft Selected to Wooden List
A pair of Buckeyes were selected to the John R. Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 list Nov. 12. Chosen by a preseason poll of national college basketball experts, the list is comprised of 50 student-athletes who are the early front-runners for the sport's most prestigious honor. The award is presented annually by the Los Angeles Athletic Club. The 2014 winner will be named at the club the weekend of April 11-12.
USBWA Places Craft on Preseason List
Aaron Craft is among 15 players selected (Nov. 5) to the preseason watch list for the Oscar Robertson Trophy, presented annually to the national player of the year by the United States Basketball Writers Association. Evan Turner (2010) was the last Buckeye to earn national player of the year honors. Jerry Lucas claimed the USBWA award twice (1961, 1962).
The American University Series
Ohio State and American have met four times previously with the Buckeyes earning victories after each outing. The teams first met to begin a home-and-home series at St. John Arena in Columbus Dec. 9, 1989, a 74-64 win for the Buckeyes. Ohio State traveled to Washington D.C., Dec .15, 1990 and won 109-73. The last two games have been in Columbus, a 96-70 win in 1991 and a 79-43 victory in 1999. No. 10 Ohio State will be ranked for the fourth-consecutive game in the American series, twice as the No. 7 team (1990, 1991) and then as the No. 15 squad in 1999.
A Look at the Eagles
The Eagles opened the season at George Mason and fell 63-60 Nov. 8. American earned its first win of the season Nov. 14 vs. Maryland-Baltimore Country, a 63-61 triumph at home. Three players lead the Eagles with double-digit scoring averages -- Darius Gardner (18.0 ppg.), John Schoof (11.5 ppg.) and Kyle Kager (10.0 ppg.). Kager is the top rebounder with 9.5 rpg.
Ohio State vs. The Patriot League
The Buckeyes are 18-3 all-time vs. teams representing the Patriot League. Ohio State has played eight of 10 Patriot League members. Boston University and Lehigh have not faced the Buckeyes. Ohio State has taken on Army the most with six wins in seven meetings.
Noting the Marquette Game
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with the Golden Eagles 6-4. The last meeting took place Nov. 30, 1994 in Columbus, an 82-70 win for Marquette.
- Ohio State is 2-0 vs. Marquette when both teams are ranked in the Associated Press Top 25. The teams have met just once previously when both teams were ranked, a 60-59 Ohio State win at the 1970 NCAA Tournament Midwest Regional in Athens, Ga.
- Ohio State handed Marquette its first home loss since Dec. 29, 2011, snapping a 27 game home win streak.
- The Buckeyes are 63-29 vs. the current alignment of the Big East Conference.
- The 38 combined first half-points between the Buckeyes and Golden Eagles ranks as the lowest among Division I teams this season.
- Ohio State rebounded from an 8-0 Marquette run to finish the first half locked at 19 points apiece. The last time the Buckeyes were held to under 20 points in a half was Feb. 18, 2012 at Michigan.
- The Buckeyes went on a 16-7 run to start the second half, leading to Ohio State's first double-digit lead of the game (37-26).
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Shannon Scott (13 points), Sam Thompson (13) and Aaron Craft (10).
- The last time Ohio State defeated a ranked non-conference opponent on the road was three years ago (11/16/10), a 93-75 win over No. 9 Florida. The Buckeyes were No. 4 in that game in Gainesville.
- The 35 points scored by No. 17 Marquette is the lowest point total for a ranked opponent vs. Ohio State all-time. The last ranked opponent held under 40 points was No. 5 Minnesota in an Ohio State 48-39 win Feb. 5, 1949 in the first year of the Associated Press poll. That Minnesota game was the first ranked opponent Ohio State ever faced.
- Ohio State is 154-238 against nationally ranked opponents.
- As a ranked team, No. 10 Ohio State is 458-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 324-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- Ohio State's defense held Marquette to fewer than 50 points overall (35). The last team to score 50 or fewer vs. the Buckeyes was Wisconsin, which put up 43 points on March 17, 2013.
- The Buckeyes limited Marquette's field goal percentage to 18.9 percent from the field (10-53).
- Ohio State led Marquette 16-0 in fast break points.
- The Buckeyes held a 26-16 advantage in points scored from the paint.
- Thad Matta is 253-73 during his career at Ohio State and 355-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against ranked opponents, Matta owns a 46-51 record as Ohio State head coach.
- With the Buckeyes, Matta is 46-6 in the month of November.
- With 10 points against the Golden Eagles, Aaron Craft reached 1,005 as a Buckeye. He is the first Ohio State player in history to record 500 assists, 200 steals and 1,000 career points.
- Craft became the 50th player in Ohio State history to reach 1,000 career points.
- Craft needs six steals to pass Purdue's Brian Cardinal (259) for sixth all-time in the Big Ten.
- With 10 assists against Marquette, Craft ranks second on the all-time list at Ohio State with 550. He needs 30 assists to pass Jamar Butler (579) for first.
- Craft recorded his second career double-double with 10 points and 10 assists. With five made field goals and 10 assists, he accounted for 15 of Ohio State's 22 field goals in the win.
- Sam Thompson was the co-leader in scoring for the game (13 points).
- Thompson dished three assists vs. Marquette, tying a career high.
- Shannon Scott was the co-leader in scoring for the game (13 points) ... led team with five steals.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.
Buckeyes’ 2017-18 Schedule Set
Summer Update - C.J. Jackson
Musa Jallow Added to Roster for 2017-18