March 23, 2013
No. 2 Seed Ohio State Buckeyes (27-7) vs. No. 10 Iowa State Cyclones (23-11)
|Date:||March 24, 2013|
|Site:||Dayton Arena (13,409)|
|Game Time:||12:15 p.m. ET|
|Talent:||Jim Nantz (play-by-play)
Clark Kellogg (expert analysis)
Tracy Wolfson (sideline)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
|Ohio State Notes | Iowa State Notes | Big Ten Stats | NCAA Bracket | OSU NCAA Records | Pregame Quotes|
|Ohio State Men's Basketball|
|Men's Basketball||Jeff Boals||Greg Paulus||Dan Wallenberg||Alissa Clendenen|
|Press Conference w/ Coach Matta | Press Conference w/ Craft and Thomas. | 1960 National Champions|
|NCAA Round of 64 Photo Gallery|
Three Average 10+ pts. in Postseason
Deshaun Thomas (19.0 ppg.), Sam Thompson (13.8 ppg.) and Aaron Craft (10.0 ppg.) all average in double figures during postseason competition this year. Thomas leads the way with 6.5 rebounds a game for the Buckeyes. Thompson scored a career-high 20 points to go with a career best 10 rebounds vs. Iona Friday. He has made 20-of-30 (.667) shots from the field, 5-of-8 treys (.625) and 10-of-11 foul shots (.909). Ohio State is holding opponents under 40 percent shooting (82-213/.385) and to just 23 percent from 3-point range (18-79). Craft has handed out 25 assists to move to the No. 2 spot all-time in career assists at Ohio State (517). He also has 12 steals in the last four games. Shannon Scott has dished out 22 helpers to go with seven steals in postseason play. Evan Ravenelowns eight blocks.
Ohio State is 17-2 in Ohio in 2012-13
The win over Iona Friday improved Ohio State's record to 17-2 in the state of Ohio this year. The Buckeyes finished the regular season 16-2 at home. Deshaun Thomas averages 19.6 points and 6.1 rebounds in Ohio this year. Lenzelle Smith Jr., adds 10.3 ppg.
Ohio State and The NCAA Tournament
This is Ohio State's 25th appearances in the NCAA tournament. Overall, Ohio State has a 46-23 record all-time in NCAA tournament play. The Buckeyes have advanced to play in 10 Final Fours, have finished as the runner up four times (1939, 1961, 1962, 2007) and own one title (1960). Ohio State finished third four times (1944, 1945, 1946, 1968). The Buckeyes have played in three-consecutive NCAA "Sweet 16s," a feat last accomplished at Ohio State from 1960-62. No remaining team in the 2013 NCAA Tournament has played in the last three "NCAA Sweet 16s." The Buckeyes have made 13 "Sweet 16" appearances in NCAA Tournament play.
Ohio State In The NCAA Tournament
|1950||Eastern *||1-1||Reg. Finals|
|1971||Mideast *||1-1||Reg. Finals|
|1991||Midwest /1||2-1||Reg. Semifinals|
* Teams were not seeded prior to 1979.
# Final Four Appearance
The 2013 NCAA Tournament
The No. 2-seeded (West) Buckeyes entered the 2013 NCAA Tournament after winning the 2013 Big Ten Tournament in Chicago with a 3-0 record. Thad Matta, in his ninth year as head coach at Ohio State, has taken the Buckeyes to seven NCAA tournaments during his time in Columbus, including a title game appearance in 2007. The Buckeyes have appeared in the last five NCAA tournaments.
Ohio State enters the game vs. Iowa State with a 27-7 overall record and as 2013 Big Ten Tournament Champions. The Buckeyes finished the Big Ten regular season with a 13-5 record, good for a tie for second with Michigan State. Ohio State was the No. 2 seed in the league tournament last week. The Buckeyes have won 20 Big Ten titles and are making their 25th appearance in the NCAA tournament.
Buckeyes In 17 Games vs NCAA Field
The Buckeyes are 10-7 against the 10 teams on the schedule this year that qualified for the 2013 NCAA Tournament. Ohio State entered the NCAA tournament on a six-game winning streak against teams in the 2013 NCAA field before the win over Iona Friday. Four of those wins were against Associated Press Top 25 teams. In the 17 games Ohio State played vs. the 2013 NCAA field, Deshaun Thomas has led the way with an average of 19.8 points per game. Aaron Craftaveraged 11.5 ppg. Thomas has made 86 percent of his free throws (62-72) while Craft was 33-43 at the line (.767).
Ohio State on 9-game Win Streak
Ohio State enters the Iowa State game on a nine-game win streak, including five victories to close out the regular season and three wins in the Big Ten Conference Tournament. Four of the wins were against ranked opponents and three were against Top 10 squads. Deshaun Thomas has led the Buckeyes over the course of the streak with 18.3 points per game while Aaron Craft has pitched in 11.0 ppg. Craft has made 53 percent of his shots from the field (39-73) during the win streak while handing out 50 assists and recording 24 steals. Sam Thompson (31-56/.554) and LaQuinton Ross (25-53/.472) also made significant contributions to help the Buckeyes finish second in the 2013 Big Ten standings, earn a No. 2 seed in the league tournament and ultimately win the 2013 Big Ten Tournament title. Shannon Scottalso has been a key to Ohio State's success down the stretch. During the win steak he handed out 42 assists and has 22 steals.
Craft, Thomas Honored for Success During 2013 B1G Tournament Title Run
Aaron Craft was named the 2013 Big Ten Tournament Most Outstanding Player and along with Deshaun Thomas, earned a spot on the 2013 All-Big Ten Tournament team. Craft averaged 12 points on 16-27 shooting (.593). He also handed out 18 assists and recorded six steals. Thomas averaged 17.3 ppg and 7.7 rebounds. Sam Thompson made 70 percent of his shots during the BTT (14-20), including 5 of 7 from 3-point range (.714). LaQuinton Ross made 10-18 field goals (.556), which includes 6 of 9 shooting from long range (.667). Shannon Scottagain made his presence felt with 12 assists and seven steals in Chicago.
Noting the Iona Game
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Iona 2-1. The Buckeyes are 5-3 against members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC).
- Ohio State is 46-23 all-time in the NCAA tournament. The Buckeyes are 8-3 as a No. 2 seed and 2-2 in tournament games played in UD Arena.
- Four players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Deshaun Thomas (24 points), Sam Thompson (20), Lenzelle Smith, Jr. (12) and Evan Ravenel (11). The last time Ohio State had two players with 20 points in a game: Thomas (26) and Jared Sullinger (23) vs. Cincinnati on March 22, 2012.
- Ohio State scored a season-high 95 points (previous high 91 vs. Missouri-Kansas City), fourth most by an OSU team in an NCAA tournament game. The team also tied a season best with 25 assists, the second most by a Buckeye team in a tournament game.
- Guards Aaron Craft and Shannon Scott combined for 17 assists, eight rebounds, six steals and only four turnovers.
- Ohio State owned a 33-2 advantage in bench points. The Buckeyes have outscored opposing benches 647- 407 this season
- OSU scored 29 points off of a season-high 19 Iona turnovers.
- Ohio State outscored Iona 34-11 on the fast break.
- Iona shot 35.4 percent for the game (23-of-65). The Buckeyes have held opposing teams under 50 percent shooting in 31 of 34 games.
- After falling behind 4-0 to start the game, Ohio State seized control with a 27-4 run covering 10:31 of play to take a commanding 27-8 lead.
- Leading 37-33 with 1:36 remaining in the first half, Ohio State reasserted itself with a 15-0 run to take a 52-33 lead with 18:00 to play in the second half.
- Ohio State owned a 44-40 edge on the glass and a 48-28 scoring advantage in the paint. OSU is 16-2 this season when outrebounding its opponent and 153-24 under Thad Matta.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 10 Ohio State is 450-123 all-time. When ranked in the Top 10, the Buckeyes are 320-72.
- Matta is 248-72 during his career at Ohio State and 349-103 overall as a head coach.
- Matta is 15-6 in the NCAA tournament as head coach of the Buckeyes (21-10 overall). He is 39-11 in postseason tournaments at Ohio State.
- Matta has compiled a record of 51-12 as a head coach in March, the third-best record by percentage (.810) among active coaches.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 203-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta has won 25 or more games in six of his nine seasons at Ohio State and in nine of his 13 seasons as head coach. Teams coached by Matta have never failed to reach the 20-win plateau. The Buckeyes are 27-7 to date in 2012-13 after the victory Friday.
- Matta is 2-0 as a head coach against Iona.
- Led all scorers with 24 points.
- With 24 points, Thomas remain No. 14 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State (1,565 total points). He needs two points to pass Terrence Dials for 13th.
- Moved to No. 4 on Ohio State's all-time NCAA tournament scoring list with 140 points. He needs 17 points to pass John Havlicek for third.
- Has scored in double figures in all 34 games this season.
- Scored a career-high 20 points.
- Collected a career-high 10 rebounds, passing 150 for his career (159).
- Shot 8-of-8 at the free throw, career highs in both makes and attempts.
- With seven assists against the Gaels, Craft moved to No. 2 on the all-time at Ohio State with 517. He needs 63 assists to pass Jamar Butler for the No. 1 spot.
- Has totaled five or more assists in 18 games this season, including 12 of the last 18 outings.
- Collected a season-high and Ohio State-tournament record six steals.
- With six steals against Iona, Craft remains seventh all-time in Big Ten history with 243. He needs 17 steals to pass Brian Cardinal of Purdue (1997-2000) for sixth. Six steals is tied for fourth most in school history.
- Has recorded at least one steal in all but two games this season.
- Tied a career high with 10 assists, second most in an NCAA tournament game for a Buckeye player.
- Scored a career-high five points.
- With eight rebounds, passed 100 for his career (104).
- Tied a career high with three blocks.
Thomas reaches 600 points a 2nd Time
Thirty Ohio State players have reached the 500-point mark in a single season at least once. Deshaun Thomas became the 14th player to do so multiple times with 18 points at Wisconsin Feb. 17. Thomas scored 619 points as a sophomore last year, the 17th best single-season scoring effort in Ohio State history. Thomas leads the Big Ten in scoring with 19.6 points per game for a total of 668 points this season. William Buford (2009-12), one of three Buckeyes to score 500+ three times, and Jared Sullinger(2011-12), who did it twice, were the last to record multiple 500-point seasons at Ohio State. Thomas reached 600 points as a junior with 19 points vs. Nebraska March 19. Sullinger (635, 647) was the last Buckeye to post back-to-back 600-point seasons. Thomas' point total this season ranks No. 10 in Ohio State history behind the 671 points scored by Jerry Lucas in 1960-61.
The Iowa State Series
Ohio State is 5-0 all-time vs. the Cyclones dating to the first meeting Dec. 20, 1965 in Columbus. The Buckeyes won that first game 87-70. Ohio State then won in Ames, Iowa, 79-77 the next year. The game Sunday will be the second contested during NCAA tournament play. The previous meeting occurred March 14, 1985 in Tulsa, Okla. Ohio State came away with a 75-64 victory in that game. The teams have played twice with Thad Mattaat the helm of the Buckeyes. Iowa State played host to the Buckeyes in Des Moines, Iowa, Dec. 17, 2005, a 70-67 victory for the Buckeyes in Matta's first season. The Cyclones then traveled to Columbus the following year. Ohio State was ranked No. 3 nationally in that last meeting, a 75-56 Ohio State win.
Ohio State vs. Iowa State Series
Date W/L OSU-ISU 12/20/65 W Iowa State 87-70 12/3/66 W @Iowa State 79-77 3/14/85 W 1-vs. Iowa State 75-64 12/17/05 W 2-vs. Iowa State 70-67 12/19/06 W Iowa State 75(3)-56
1-NCAA 1st Rnd, Tulsa, Okl.
2-Des Moines, Iowa
Last Time vs. Iowa State (Dec. 19, 2006)
DES MOINES, Iowa-Je'Kel Foster scored a career-high 28 points and Ohio State went on an 18-7 run down the stretch to beat Iowa State 70-67, giving the Buckeyes seven-consecutive wins to open the season for the first time since 1990-91. The victory capped a stretch of four games in eight days - and three different cities. Down 60-52 with 6:39 left, Ohio State rallied and retook the lead, 63-62, with 1:35 left on a layup by Ron Lewis. Foster made two free throws to put the Buckeyes ahead 65-64, and Will Blalock missed a runner on Iowa State's ensuing possession. Jamar Butler's free throws pushed the lead to 67-64. Ohio State led by three following a 16-6 run to open the second half. But the Cyclones responded with a 10-0 run and went back on top 55-48. Iowa State finished the first half on an 8-2 run to take a 39-32 lead. Iowa State shot 61 percent in the first half and freshman Shawn Taggart, led the charge with 12 points on 6-of-6 shooting from the field. Foster went 4-for-5 from 3-point range in the first half to lead the Buckeyes. Curtis Stinson led Iowa State with 17 points, and Taggart added 13. Lewis scored 13 points and grabbed nine rebounds for Ohio State.
A Look at the Iowa State Cyclones
The Cyclones defeated Notre Dame 76-58 in the NCAA Second Round game Friday to improve to 23-11 on the season. Iowa State has won four of the last five games with the only loss (88-73) to No. 7 Kansas in the Big 12 Tournament March 15 in Kansas City, Mo. The Cyclones have a couple familiar faces to fans of the Big Ten Conference. Former Michigan State guard Korie Lucious averages 9.8 points and nearly six assist for the Cyclones as a senior. Chris Babb, a Penn State transfer, is another senior averaging nearly 10 points a game for Iowa State. Will Clyburn, a transfer from Utah, leads the Cyclones with 14.9 points a game.
Ohio State vs. the Big 12
Iowa State will be the second team representing current members of the Big 12 Conference to play against the Buckeyes this season. Ohio State fell to Kansas earlier this year in Columbus, 74-66, Dec. 22, 2012. In all, Ohio State owns a 25-24 record vs. Big 12 schools.
Aaron Craft: Reached 900 points for his career with 20 vs. Michigan State March 16 (932) ... scored a career-high 21 points in the win over No. 4 Michigan State Feb. 24 in Columbus ... reached 500 career assists with eight vs. Nebraska March 15 ... his 517 career total rates No. 2 all-time at Ohio State, passing Kelvin Ransey (516, 1977-80) with seven helpers vs. Iona Friday ... reached 100 steals for the third-consecutive season with three vs. Indiana Feb. 10 ... William Buford (2009-12) was the last to do so over the final three seasons of his career ... with seven assists vs. Iona March 22, Craft has 18 games this season with five or more, including 12 of the last 18 outings ... 16 games this season with 10 or more points, including double digits in 10 of the last 18 games ... is shooting 79 percent from the foul line (69-87) this season, up from 71 percent as a junior ... a career 74 percent foul shooter (225-304) ... has more career steals (243) than turnovers (227) ... owns Ohio State career record for steals (243) after recording four thefts vs. Iowa Jan. 22 ... just the second Buckeye in history (Jay Burson-204) to record 200 career thefts ... currently No. 7 all-time in Big Ten history with 243 career steals ... played in 100th career game Feb. 14 vs. Northwestern. Evan Ravenel: Scores at a 53 percent clip in two seasons as a Buckeye (118-224) and 52 percent this year (72-139) ... set a career high with 10 rebounds vs. Chicago State ... played in his 100th career game at Michigan Feb. 5 ... has played in 73 games at Ohio State after transferring from Boston College, where he played in 39 contests ... scored 10 points vs. No. 4 Michigan State Feb. 24 in Columbus ... knocked down 6-7 foul shots vs. the Spartans ... tallied eight points and grabbed six rebounds in road win at No. 2 Indiana March 5. LaQuinton Ross: Makes 72 percent of his foul shots (36-50) this season ... knocked down 3 of 4 3-pointers in the win vs. Nebraska March 15 and then 2 of 3 treys vs. Michigan State March 16 ... made Ohio State's only 3-point attempts in BTT title game s. Wisconsin March 17. Shannon Scott: Scored career-high 15 points vs. Kansas to go with six rebounds, which tied a career best ... has 137 assists this season after handing out 60 as a freshman ... needs three assists to reach 200 for his career ... just 45 turnovers have been charged to him this year ... handed out 10 assists to tie a career high in the win over Iona March 22 ... eight points, three assists and four steals in road win at No. 2 Indiana March 5. Lenzelle Smith Jr.: Connected on 6 of 11 3-pointers vs. Northwestern Feb. 28, a career-best for long-range makes in a game ... tallied a season-high 24 points vs. the Wildcats in Evanston Feb. 28 ... grabbed 10 rebounds at Purdue Jan. 8 and repeated that effort vs. Michigan Jan. 13, the first time in his career with back-to-back double digit rebound games (3 career) ... reached the 600 career-point plateau with four vs. Nebraska March 17 (601). Deshaun Thomas: Reached 500 career rebounds with seven vs. Michigan State Feb. 24, added eight boards at No. 2 Indiana March 5 and seven more in the win vs. Wisconsin March 17 (549) ... 224 of his career 549 boards have come on the offensive end ... moved into the No. 14 spot in career scoring with 17 vs. No. 22 Wisconsin March 17 (1,565) ... 20 or more points in eight Big Ten games this season ... shooting 84 percent at the line this year (127-152) ... has made 50 3-pointers in back-to-back (50/67) seasons, William Buford (2009-12) was the last to do so during his junior (61) and senior seasons (62). Sam Thompson: Reached 100 made field goals with a 6 of 10 shooting effort vs. Iona ... has made 20 of his last 30 field goal attempts to up his season average to 51 percent (100-197) ... second on the team in blocks with 30 ... set career highs in points (20) and rebounds (10) vs. Iona March 22. Amir Williams: Scored a career-high 10 points vs. Northwestern Feb. 14 ... scored nine points with four blocks and four rebounds in a career-high 36 minutes at Michigan Feb. 5 ... of his 134 rebounds this year, nearly half (58) have been on the offensive end ... 85 of his career 196 boards have been a teammate's missed shot ... has made 57 percent of his field goals this year (38-68) and is shooting 56 percent for his career (58-104).
Ohio State vs. The Ranked
The Buckeyes have an all-time record of 152-238 (5-7 in 2012-13) vs. ranked opponents in the Associated Press Top 25. That includes a mark of 66-118 vs. Top 10 foes. As a ranked team, Ohio State is 453-123 all-time. In games when both teams enter with a Top 25 ranking, Ohio State is 72-64. When ranked among the Top 10 nationally, Ohio State is 320-72.
Ohio State in Top 25 453-123 (27-7) Ohio State in Top 10 320-72 (15-5) Ohio State vs. Top 25 152-238 (5-7) Ohio State vs. Top 10 66-118 (4-4) Ohio State as No. 1 (AP) 72-6 (0-0) Ohio State as No. 1 (ESPN) 24-4 (0-0) Both Teams Ranked in Top 25 72-64 (5-7)
This year when ranked...
No. 3 1-0 (35-7 all-time) No. 4 4-1 (37-6) No. 7 5-1 (36-11) No. 8 1-1 (9-5) No. 10 4-2 (18-9) No. 11 2-1 (9-7) No. 13 1-1 (20-3) No. 14 4-0 (13-5) No. 15 2-0 (18-7) No. 16 1-0 (16-8) No. 18 2-0 (14-3)
Matta Among Best in March
Thad Mattahas put together one of the best records nationally when it counts the most - during the months of March and April. Entering March for the ninth time as head coach of the Buckeyes, Matta has compiled a record of 51-12, the third-best record by percentage (.810) among active coaches. The record is the best among Big Ten coaches as well.
Best March Record by D-I Head Coaches - Since 2004-05 (Min. 20 Gms/as of 3/22/13) 1. John Calipari, Memphis/Kentucky 65-13 .833 2. Shaka Smart, VCU 23-5 .821 3. Thad Matta, Ohio State 51-12 .810 4. Roy Williams, North Carolina 57-14 .803 5. Brad Stevens, Butler 24-7 .774 March-April Games: 1. John Calipari 67-15 .817 2. Thad Matta 53-13 .803 3. Roy Williams 62-16 .795 4. Shaka Smart 23-6 .793 5. Bill Self, Kansas 44-13 .772
Source: Stats, Inc.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.