Ohio State, Gonzaga Meet Saturday in Pittsburgh
Deshaun Thomas scored 31 pts. Thursday vs. Loyola Maryland
March 16, 2012
Date: March 17, 2012
No. 2 seed Ohio State (28-7) vs. No. 7 seed Gonzaga University (26-6)
Site: Consol Energy Center (19,000)
Game Time: 2:45 p.m. (approx.) ET
Talent: Kevin Harlan (Play by Play)
Len Elmore & Reggie Miller (Expert Analysis)
Marty Snider (Sideline)
Radio: OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)
Local Radio: WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460
Radio Talent: Paul Keels (play-by-play)
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
Ohio State and THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
This is Ohio State’s 24th appearances in the NCAA tournament. Overall, Ohio State has a 42-22 record all-time in NCAA tournament play. The Buckeyes have advanced to play in nine Final Fours, have finished as the runner up four times (1939, 1961, 1962, 2007) and own one title (1960). Ohio State has finished third four times (1944, 1945, 1946, 1968). The Buckeyes have played in two-consecutive NCAA “Sweet 16s,” a feat last accomplished in 1991, 1992. The Buckeyes have made 13 “Sweet 16” appearances in NCAA tournament play.
OHIO STATE IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
Year Region/Seed Rcd
1939 Eastern * 2-1# Finals
1944 Eastern * 1-1# Semifinals
1945 Eastern * 1-1# Semifinals
1946 Eastern * 2-1# Semifinals
1950 Eastern * 1-1 Reg. Finals
1960 Mideast * 4-0# Finals
1961 Mideast * 3-1# Finals
1962 Mideast * 3-1# Finals
1968 Mideast * 3-1# Semifinals
1971 Mideast * 1-1 Reg. Finals
1980 West/4 1-1 Reg. Semifinals
1982 East/8 0-1 First Round
1983 East/3 1-1 Reg. Semifinals
1985 Midwest/4 1-1 2nd Rnd.
1987 Southwest/9 1-1 2nd Rnd.
1990 West/8 1-1 2nd Rnd.
1991 Midwest /1 2-1 Reg. Semifinals
1992 Southwest/1 3-1 Reg. Finals
2006 Minneapolis/2 1-1 2nd Rnd.
2007 South/1 5-1# Finals
2009 Midwest/8 0-1 1st Rnd.
2010 Midwest/2 2-1 Reg. Semifinals
2011 East/1 2-1 Reg. Semifinals
2012 East/2 1-0
Totals 42-22 (.656)
* Teams were not seeded prior to 1979.
# Final Four Appearance
The 2012 NCAA Tournament
The No. 2-seeded Buckeyes entered the 2012 NCAA Tournament after a 2-1 record in the 2012 Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis. Thad Matta, in his eighth year as head coach, has taken the Buckeyes to six NCAA tournaments during his time in Columbus, including a title game appearance in 2007.
Ohio State is 28-7 overall record and are co-champions of the Big Ten with a 13-5 regular season record. Ohio State has won 20 Big Ten titles and is making its 24th appearance in the NCAA tournament.
Ohio State vs. 2012 NCAA Field 552-486 (532)
Ohio State vs. East Region 120-84 (.588)
Ohio State vs. West Region 101-91 (.526)
Ohio State vs. South Region 112-124 (.475)
Ohio State vs. Midwest Region 219-187 (.539)
2012 Ohio State Opponents in NCAA Field 10 (11-6 rcd.)
EAST: Wisconsin (1-1), Loyola Maryland (1-0); WEST: Michigan State (1-2), Florida (1-0); SOUTH: Duke (1-0), Indiana (1-1); MIDWEST: Kansas (0-1), Michigan (2-1), Purdue (2-0), Lamar (1-0).
The Round of 32
Ohio State will take on Gonzaga (26-6) in the 2012 NCAA Tournament Round of 32 (Third Round) 30 minutes following the Syracuse vs. Kansas State game (12:15 p.m. tip) Saturday. The games are being played at the CONSOL Energy Center in downtown Pittsburgh, Pa.
Ohio State vs. Gonzaga
The Buckeyes and Zags have never faced one another previously in men’s basketball. Ohio State is 6-5 all-time vs. members of the West Coast Conference. Ohio State is 4-3 vs. Brigham Young, 1-1 vs. San Francisco, 1-0 vs. Loyola Marymount and 0-1 against Santa Clara. The Buckeyes have not faced Pepperdine, Portland, St Mary’s or San Diego. San Francisco was the last team Ohio State faced from the Big West. USF traveled to Columbus Nov 20, 2006 to complete a home-and-home series. The Buckeyes, ranked No. 4 nationally at the time, defeated USF 82-60.
Buckeyes in the 2012 Postseason
In four postseason games, three in the 2012 Big Ten Tournament and the 2012 NCAA Second Round game vs. Loyola University Maryland Thursday, both Deshaun Thomas and Jared Sullinger are averaging more than 20 points a game. Thomas leads the team with 21.5 points a game while Sullinger contributes 21 points and 9.5 rebounds. Thomas has made 36-62 field goal attempts (58 pct.) and 8-10 free throws (80 pct.). Sullinger is making half his shots in 2012 postseason play (32-64) while knocking down 17 of 20 foul shots (.850). Senior William Buford averages 12.3 points a game and has made 9 of 11 FTs (82 pct). Aaron Craft has 19 assists and 10 steals.
All-Time Postseason Numbers
Ohio State is playing in its 24th NCAA tournament. The Buckeyes are 42-22 all-time. Thad Matta has directed Ohio State to six NCAA tournaments in eight years at Ohio State. In 12 years as a head coach, one at Butler, three at Xavier and eight with the Buckeyes, Matta has guided teams to 10 NCAA tournaments. His overall record is 18-9, 11-5 at Ohio State. Senior William Buford has appeared in four NCAA tournaments and eight total games as a Buckeye. He has scored 113 points for an average of 14.1 points a game. In four career NCAA games, Jared Sullinger has scored 62 points (15.5 ppg.) with 44 total rebounds (11.0 rpg.). After a career-high 31 points vs. Loyola University, sophomore Deshaun Thomas has scored 51 points in four NCAA games for an average of 12.8 ppg.
Two Coaches, 25 seasons with 10 wins
Thad Matta, Ohio State head coach, and Mark Few, head coach at Gonzaga, have 25 seasons of head coaching experience and neither coach has been involved in a season with less than 20 victories. Few (13) and Matta (12) rate No. 1 and 2, respectively, nationally among active coaches in 20-win seasons to start a career. Matta’s eight-consecutive 20-win campaigns as head coach of the Buckeyes is an Ohio State record.
Thomas’s outing among OSU Best in NCAA
Deshaun Thomas’ career-high 31 points vs. Loyola Maryland was the seventh 30-point effort in Ohio State’s NCAA tournament history. Jerry Lucas owns the record with 36 points vs. Western Kentucky March 11, 1960. He also had two games with 33 points, both vs. Kentucky in 1961 and 1962. Brian Brown scored 33 against Davidson March 14, 2002. Dennis Hopson, Ohio State’s all-time leading scorer, tallied 32 points vs. Kentucky March 13, 1987. Evan Turner was the last to reach 30 points with 31 vs. Tennessee March 26, 2010.
Noting the Loyola (Md.) Game (March 15)
• This is the fourth-consecutive season Ohio State has participated in the NCAA tournament.
• The win marked the third season in a row Ohio State has won its first game in the tournament.
• The game vs. Loyola University Maryland was the first between the two schools.
• The Buckeyes are now 4-3 vs. schools from the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC).
• The 28 wins this season are the fourth most in Ohio State history (35 in 2006-07, 34 in 2010-11 and 29 in 2009-10).
• Against the East Region, Ohio State is now 120-84. Against the 2012 tournament field, Ohio State is now 552-486.
• Ohio State is participating in its 24th NCAA tournament.
• Ohio State is 42-22 all-time in NCAA tournament play.
• As a ranked team, Ohio State is 423-116 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 302-66.
• As the Associated Press No. 7 team, Ohio State is 28-9 overall.
• The Buckeyes move to 21-1 this season and 180-21 all-time vs. unranked opponents under Matta.
• Ohio State has had a player record a double-double in 841 games. The Buckeyes are 580-261 in those contests. Deshaun Thomas (31 points, 12 rebounds) had his third career double-double vs. Loyola. Jared Sullinger also posted his 34th career double-double (14 points, 10 rebounds).
• It is the second time this season Ohio State has had two players record a double-double in the same game (Sullinger and Thomas at Northwestern, 2/29/12).
• This is the 297th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
• The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 26-6 this season.
• Ohio State has three players score at least 500 points in a season for the first time in team history. (Sullinger – 576, Thomas – 554, Buford – 517).
• Ohio State outrebounded Loyola 46-21
• Thad Matta moves to 1-0 all-time vs. Loyola.
• Matta moves to 11-5 in the NCAA tournament at Ohio State.
• Matta is 32-10 in postseason tournaments at Ohio State.
• Matta’s career record moves to 320-95 overall and 218-64 at Ohio State.
• Matta is 105-19 vs. non-conference opponents at Ohio State including a 13-1 mark this season.
• Ohio State is 42-11 in March under Coach Matta.
• When leading at the half Ohio State is 25-1 this season and 183-21 under Matta.
• Ohio State is 28-1 this season and 203-6 under Matta when leading with five minutes to go.
• When outrebounding its opponent, the Buckeyes are 24-5 this season and 135-22 under Matta. Ohio State outrebounded Loyola, 46-21.
• When limiting its opponent to 50 percent or worse from the field, Ohio State is 27-5 this season and 204-51 under Matta.
• When Ohio State shoots better than its opponent, it is 27-2 this season and 194-20 under Matta.
• When Ohio State scores at least 70 points in a game it is 23-2 this season and 152-13 under Matta.
• When Ohio State’s opponent scores less than 70 points, it is 22-4 this season and 193-27 under Matta.
• The start was Buford’s 133rd donning the Scarlet and Gray, the most by any Buckeye in history.
• Buford has been a part of 113 of Coach Matta’s 218 career wins at Ohio State.
• The game is the 141st that Buford has played in, which is third all-time at Ohio State in games played.
• Buford has been a part of 113 wins at Ohio State, which is second all-time by senior class.
• Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,941/640/356.
• Buford scored 17 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,941, passing Kelvin Ransey (1,934) for fourth place in Ohio State scoring history. He is 49 behind Jerry Lucas (1,990) for third.
• Buford had three rebounds to push his career total to 640. He is one of 17 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
• Buford became the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) Club. After the Loyola game, Buford has now tallied 730 made field goals and 4,583 minutes played in 141 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
• Buford had two assists in the game for a career total of 356.
• With five made field goals, Buford now has 730 for his career, the fifth most in Ohio State history.
• Sullinger had 14 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 30th time this season and 63rd time in his career he has scored in double figures. He has 576 points this season.
• With 14 points, Sullinger added to his 1,000 point club total (1,211). He is one of seven total players in Ohio State history to score at 1,000 or more points in two years.
• Sullinger had 11 rebounds to push his career total to 684. That is good for 15th place all-time in Ohio State history.
• With 14 points and 11 rebounds, Sullinger earned his 33rd career double-double and 15th this season.
• Ohio State is 30-3 in games Sullinger scores a double-double.
• Sullinger tied Luke Witte (1,211) for 32nd place on the Ohio State career scoring list. He is 11 behind John Havlicek (1,223) for 31st place.
• Sullinger needs 24 points to have back-to-back 600 point seasons.
• Deshaun Thomas finished with a career high 31 points. It is the 42nd time in his career he has scored in double figures and 31st time this season. He now has 832 points in his two-year career.
• Thomas has scored in double figures in 31 of the Buckeyes 35 games this season.
• With 31 points and 12 rebounds (one shy of a career high), Thomas earned his third career double-double.
• Craft had three assists to push his season total to 158 and his career total to 335.
• Craft had two steals. He has 157 for his career. He has had at least one steal in 33 of 35 games this season.
• Craft’s season total of 84 thefts is No. 2 all-time in a single season (Mike Conley, Jr. – 87 in 2007). Craft is just the second Buckeye to reach 80 steals in a single season.
• Craft had six points, all from the free throw line. He has 555 points in his career.