March 10, 2012
Date: March 10, 2012
No. 3 seed Ohio State (26-6) vs. No. 2 seed Michigan (24-8)
Game Time: 4:05 p.m. ET
Talent: Jim Nance (Play by Play)
Clark Kellogg (Expert Analysis)
Radio: OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)
Local Radio: WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460
Radio Talent: Paul Keels (play-by-play)
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
Ohio State Notes
Ohio State vs. Michigan
Ohio State leads the all-time series vs. the Wolverines 91-72. The teams have met on a neutral court four times with Ohio State winning three of those games. Ranked Ohio State teams are 33-5 vs. Michigan. The Buckeyes are 13-23 vs. ranked UM squads. When both teams are ranked, Ohio State owns the edge 5-3. The teams split the season series with each squad winning on its home floor. Ohio State won 64-49 in Columbus (1/29/12) and the Wolverines won 56-51 in Ann Arbor (2/18/12). William Buford and Jared Sullinger each average 14.4 points a game vs. Michigan. Sullinger also adds 9.6 rebounds in five career meetings vs. the Wolverines. Ohio State has faced Michigan three times in Big Ten tournament play, winning all three. The Buckeyes earned postseason tournament titles in 2007, 2010 and 2011 when defeating Michigan. The Buckeyes were the No. 1 seed in all three of those tournaments. The Buckeyes beat No. 8 seed Michigan 72-62 in 2007 and 69-68 in 2010 and then the No. 4 seed Wolverines 68-61 last year. In two games this season vs. Michigan, Deshaun Thomas led the Buckeyes with 18.5 points and 9.0 rebounds. Sullinger contributed 13.5 points and 6.5 rebounds.
Ohio State in the BTT
The Buckeyes improved to 18-8 in Big Ten tournament play, including wins in seven-consecutive outings. Thad Matta is 15-4 in league tournament play and has advanced to the semifinals five times in eight attempts.
Buckeyes in the Big Ten Tournament
William Buford has been a part of three teams who have played for a Big Ten Conference postseason tournament title. Two of those teams have claimed the championship (2010, 2011). The 2009 team fell to Purdue in the title tilt. Buford, in 10 BTT games, averages 14.0 points and has averaged 40.2 minutes per game. Ohio State needed double overtime to down Illinois in 2010 and single overtime to defeat Northwestern in 2011. Sophomore Aaron Craft averages 11 points while shooting 59 percent from the field (16-27) in four career BTT games. Classmate Jared Sullinger contributes 27.3 points and 13.0 rebounds a game in four wins in BTT action. He scored 30 in the win over Purdue Friday and overall has made 30 of 43 attempts (at the charity stripe in BTT action. Deshaun Thomas scored 11 points in three appearances a season ago off the bench. He tallied 22 points vs. Purdue Friday. He recorded six rebounds as a freshman at the BTT in three games. He had 7 boards vs. the Boilermakers.
Matta at OSU
Thad Matta has won at least 26 games in five of eight seasons at Ohio State. Matta averages 27 wins a season as a Buckeye. Over his career, Matta has reached 26 wins in eight of 12 seasons.
Buckeye Balance at the Top
Ohio State’s Top 3 scorers each are close to reaching 500 points scored this season. Jared Sullinger leads with 520 points (17.3 ppg.) after a 30-point effort Friday vs. Purdue. Deshaun Thomas is next with 490 (15.3 ppg.) with William Buford next with 479/15.0 ppg. Ohio State has never had three players reach 500 points in the same season. There have been 29 different Buckeyes score more than 500 points in a season with Jerry Lucas and Michael Redd leading the pack each with three 500-plus point seasons. Paul Ebert was the first to do so when he tallied 516 points during the 1953-54 season. Sullinger (520/2011-12) is the most recent Buckeyes to score more than 500 points in a season. Buford would become just the third Buckeye all-time with three 500-point scoring seasons. Sullinger is the 13th player to record two or more 500-point campaigns.
Noting the Purdue game (March 9)
• Ohio State has now won seven consecutive games in the Big Ten Tournament, dating back to the 2010 tournament.
• It is the eighth time Ohio State has won at least one game in the Big Ten Tournament.
• The 88 points scored vs. Purdue is the second most points scored in regulation for Ohio State during the Big Ten Tournament (90 vs. Minnesota, in 2010 championship).
• The Buckeyes are now 18-8 overall in the tournament, having won 14 of its last 17 games.
• The Buckeyes are 3-1 vs. teams seeded No. 6 in the tournament.
• Ohio State has not faced Purdue in the Big Ten Tournament since 2009, where the third-seed Boilermakers beat the No. 5-seed Buckeyes 65-61 in the championship. Ohio State (No. 1 seed) won 63-52 in the 2007 tournament.
• The Buckeyes move to 78-83 all-time vs. Purdue, including 2-0 this season (87-84, 2/7/12)
• As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 23-4 vs. the Boilermakers.
• Ohio State is 2-1 vs. Purdue in neutral site meetings, all in the Big Ten Tournament.
• As a ranked team, Ohio State has won 10 of the last 12 meetings dating back to 2/8/92.
• As a ranked team, Ohio State is 421-115 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 300-65.
• As the Associated Press No. 7 team, Ohio State is 26-8 overall.
• Ohio State moves to 20-1 this season vs. unranked opponents. The Buckeyes are 179-21 under Matta vs. unranked teams.
• The game vs. Purdue was the first time this season that all five starters scored in double figures. The last time it happened was 2/6/11 vs. Minnesota.
• Ohio State had two players score more than 20 points vs. Purdue (Sullinger and Thomas). It is the first time since 2/14/12 (Sullinger and Buford).
• Ohio State has had a player record a double-double in 840 games. The Buckeyes are 579-261 in those contests. Jared Sullinger (30 points, 12 rebounds) had his 32nd career double-double and 14th of the season in the Purdue game.
• Ohio State is 133-54 in the Big Ten when scoring between 80 and 90 points and 247-62 when scoring more than 80 points.
• The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 24-5 this season.
• Ohio State went 10-14 from the free-throw line. They now have attempted 687 free throws this season, while only allowing its opponents to attempt 475 from the stripe. The margin is 395-289 in the Big Ten.
• Ohio State outscored Purdue 48-18 in the paint.
• The Buckeyes had a 13 to 5 advantage on second chance points.
• Matta improves to 15-4 in league tournament play, having won seven consecutive games.
• Matta moves to 13-6 all-time vs. Purdue.
• Matta’s career record moves to 318-94 overall and 216-63 at Ohio State.
• With the win, Matta moves to 116-46 vs. the Big Ten during his 12-year coaching career.
• Matta has a record of 112-42 vs. the Big Ten (regular season and conference tournament) since he became Ohio State’s head coach in the 2004-05 season.
• Matta’s .774 winning percentage at Ohio State is the best among Big Ten coaches since Matta became the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2004.
• Ohio State is 40-10 in March under Coach Matta.
• When scoring more than 70 points in a game, the Buckeyes improve to 22-2 this year and 150-13 under Matta. Ohio State scored 88 points vs. Purdue.
• When leading at the half, Ohio State is 23-1 this season and 181-21 under Matta.
• The Buckeyes are 26-1 this year and 201-6 under Matta when leading with five minutes to go.
• When outrebounding its opponent Ohio State is 23-4 this season and 134-21 under Matta (Ohio State outrebounded Purdue, 39-28).
• When shooting 50 percent or better from the field, Ohio State is 13-0 this season and 107-7 under Matta.
• When holding its opponent to under 50 percent from the field, the Buckeyes are 25-4 this season and 202-50 under Matta.
• When Ohio State shoots a better field goal percentage than its opponent, it is 25-2 this season and 192-20 under Matta.
• When Ohio State has fewer than 15 turnovers in a game, its 21-5 this season and 182-50 under Matta. The Buckeyes had seven turnovers vs. the Boilermakers.
• The start was Buford’s 130th donning the Scarlet and Gray, the most by any Buckeye in history.
• Buford has been a part of 111 of Coach Matta’s 216 career wins at Ohio State.
• The game is the 138th that Buford has played in, fifth all-time at Ohio State in games played.
• Buford has been a part of 111 wins at Ohio State, which is second all-time by senior class.
• Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,902/629/352.
• Buford scored 11 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,902, 32 behind Kelvin Ransey (1,934) for fourth place in Ohio State scoring history.
• It is the 25th time this season Buford has scored at least 20 points.
• Buford has now scored 1,044 points in the Big Ten. He is currently the second among active scorers in Big Ten regular season games.
• Buford had six rebounds to push his career total to 629. He is one of 17 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
• Buford had five assists in the game for a career total of 352.
• With four made field goals, Buford now has 717 for his career, the fifth most in Ohio State history.
• Sullinger had a game high 30 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 27th time this season and 60th time in his career he has scored in double figures.
• With 30 points, Sullinger added to his 1,000 point club total (1,155). He is one of seven total players in Ohio State history to score at 1,000 or more points in two years.
• Sullinger had 12 rebounds to push his career total to 658. That is good for 15th place all-time in Ohio State history.
• With 30 points and 12 rebounds, Sullinger earned his 32nd career double-double and 14th this season. It is also the 19th time against a Big Ten opponent.
• Ohio State is 29-3 in games Sullinger scores a double-double.
• Sullinger passed Richard Schnittker (1,129), Jamaal Brown (1,139) and Frank Howard (1,147) to move into 34th place on the Ohio State career scoring list.
• Deshaun Thomas finished with 22 points. It is the 39th time in his career he has scored in double figures and 28th time this season. He now has 749 points in his two-year career.
• Thomas has scored in double figures in 28 of the Buckeyes 32 games this season.
• Thomas also chipped in seven rebounds.
• Craft had 10 points. It is the 15th time he has scored in double figures this season. He has 533 points in his career.
• Craft had seven assists to push his season total to 157 and his career total to 324. It ties the most assists against a Big Ten team this season (at Illinois, 1/10/12; Indiana, 1/15/12).
• Craft had one steal. He has 149 for his career. He has had at least one steal in 30 of 32 games this season.