Feb. 17, 2017
- Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- 2016-17 Schedule
- Ticket Information
- Ohio State Notes
- Nebraska Notes
- Big Ten Release
- Coach Matta Press Conference
- Loving/Jackson Press Conference
Ohio State Buckeyes (15-12, 5-9) vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers (11-14, 5-8)
|Date:||Feb. 18, 2017|
|Site:||Value City Arena (18,809)|
|Game Time:||6:06 p.m.|
|Talent:||Jeff Levering (Play-By-Play)
Stephen Bardo (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (60 stations)|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• Thad Matta will tie the Ohio State record for most games coached in a career when the game tips off vs. Nebraska Saturday. His teams have played in 455 games to date (335-120). Matta tied Fred Taylor for the No. 2 spot all time in the game vs. Michigan State last Tuesday. Harold G. Olsen (1923-46) coached in 456 games (259-197) and Taylor was on the sidelines for 455 career games (297-158) from 1959-76.
• In Thad Matta's 13 seasons at Ohio State, the Buckeyes have been swept in a regular season home-and-home series with a Big Ten foe just 10 times. Ohio State has played 84 home-and-home series in Matta's tenure to date. The Buckeyes have swept 35 and split 39 series with Big Ten foes in Matta's tenure. When the Buckeyes fall in the first game of a home-and-home Big Ten regular season series, Ohio State is 24-9 in the second game of the series under Matta.
• Thad Matta is among the final 16 coaches who advanced to the third round of the Infiniti Coaches' Charity Challenge. Third-round voting to advance to final round of four coaches is open now and runs through Feb. 26. Vote daily for Coach Matta and Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio at www.ESPN.com/Infiniti.
• Senior Marc Loving became the 53rd Buckeye all-time to reach 1,000 career points. He is the 12th player in the Thad Matta era to reach 1,000. His point total of 1,284 is 31st on the all-time Ohio State scoring list. No. 30 is Clark Kellogg with 1,285. Against Maryland Feb. 11, junior Jae'Sean Tate became the 54th Buckeye to reach 1,000 career points and the 13th in the Matta era. He passed Lenzelle Smith Jr. (1,014) on the Ohio State all-time scoring list with seven points at Michigan State to move into the No. 51 spot all time. Jason Singleton, who works on the Ohio State Athletics Development Office, is No. 50 with 1,022 career points.
• Thad Matta is No. 13 all-time in career Big Ten regular-season victories ... Matta owns 148 career league triumphs. He passed Harold "Bud" Foster (WIS 1935-59) who won 143 league encounters with the win over Michigan State (72-67/Jan. 15 in Columbus). The No. 12 spot is held by former Ohio State coach Harold Olsen (1923-46). He won 154 league games over his tenure.
• Marc Loving is working on becoming Ohio State's 27th player with 1,000 career points and 500 career boards...Jae'Sean Tate became the 26th to accomplish the feat with 20 points at Maryland Feb. 11. He has 1,015 points (11.3 ppg.) and 516 caroms (5.7 rpg.) over 90 career appearances...Tate reached 500 rebounds with five at Michigan Feb. 4...Loving has 1,284 career points (10.0 ppg.) and 492 career rebounds (3.8 rpg.).
OSU Career 1,000 pts., 500 Rebounds
1. Dennis Hopson (84-87) 2,096 712
2. Herb Williams (78-81) 2,011 1,111
3. Jerry Lucas (60-62) 1,990 1,411
4. Michael Redd (98-00) 1,879 593
5. William Buford (2009-12) 1,846 605
6. Jim Jackson (90-92) 1,785 552
7 Deshaun Thomas (2011-13) 1,630 560
8. Dave Sorenson (68-70) 1,622 761
9. Perry Carter (88-91) 1,613 989
10. Terence Dials (02-06) 1,566 876
11. Gary Bradds (62-64) 1,530 706
12. Tony Campbell (81-84) 1,529 628
13. Evan Turner (2008-10) 1,517 683
14. Jerry Francis (86-89) 1,486 576
15. David Lighty (2007-11) 1,458 577
16. Bill Hosket (66-68) 1,441 910
17. Jim Cleamons (69-71) 1,335 522
18. Clark Kellogg (80-82) 1,285 872
19. John Havlicek (60-62) 1,223 720
20. Lawrence Funderburke (92-94) 1,179 529
21. Frank Howard (56-58) 1,147 635
22. Brad Sellers (85-86) 1,122 680
23. Ron Sepic (65-67) 1,107 543
24. Jared Sullinger (2011-12) 1,081 717
25. Ken Johnson (98-01) 1,055 739
26. Jae'Sean Tate (2015-Present) 1,015 516
Marc Loving (2014-Present) 1,284 492
Off the Bench
• Since Thad Matta took over at Ohio State for the 2004-05 season, a Buckeye has recorded 15 or more rebounds in a game 24 times, the most of any Big Ten team. Junior Trevor Thompson has four of those efforts this year with a career-high 17 rebounds vs. Connecticut Dec. 10, 2016 and 15 rebounds three times (vs. Youngstown State, at Minnesota and against Northwestern). Jared Sullinger recorded eight games with 15 or more rebounds, Greg Oden recorded five, Evan Turner and Terence Dials each had two. Othello Hunter, Amir Williams and LaQuinton Ross each posted one game with 15 or more rebounds. Ohio State is 20-4 when a player records at least 15 rebounds in Matta era.
• Junior Keita Bates-Diop had season-ending surgery Jan. 25 on his left leg to repair a stress fracture he has been battling since missing about two months of summer workouts with the injury. Bates-Diop played in nine games this season around illness, a right ankle sprain sustained in the Providence game (Nov. 17) and lingering pain from the left-leg stress fracture. He averaged 9.7 points and 5.2 rebounds this season. Ohio State will apply for a medical redshirt season on Bates-Diop's behalf following the 2016-17 campaign. If granted, he will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
• Ohio State won at least 10 Big Ten regular season games (11-7 in 2016) 11 seasons (2006-2016), the longest streak in school history and tied for the longest streak among Big Ten schools over Thad Matta's 13-year tenure with the Buckeyes. Wisconsin (10-2 in conference play this year) has a streak of 11-consecutive seasons with 10+ victories in regular season league play.
• Since Thad Matta took over the Ohio State program the Buckeyes have competed against 126 opponents ranked in the Associated Press Top 25, the third-most games against ranked foes in all of NCAA Division I men's basketball. The Buckeyes are 54-72 in those games with a winning percentage of .429. That win total ranks No. 11 nationally for victories vs. ranked opponents since 2004-05.
• The Buckeyes are 6-5 on the year in games decided by five or fewer points. Wins have come against Michigan (70-66), Providence (72-67), Connecticut (64-60), UNC Asheville (79-77), Michigan State (72-67), and at Nebraska (67-66). Losses have been to Virginia (63-61) on the road, Florida Atlantic (79-77), at Illinois (75-70), Purdue (76-75) and Northwestern (74-72).
• Jae'Sean Tate is one of two Power 5 Conference players 6-4 or shorter averaging more than six rebounds per game (Markelle Fultz of Washington is averaging 6.0). Overall, Tate is 18th nationally among players 6-4 or shorter with 6.0 rebounds per game ... he also is tied for 16th nationally among players 6-4 or shorter with 1.8 offensive rebounds per game.
• Trevor Thompson has the second-most double-doubles (10) nationally among players averaging fewer than 24 minutes per game. In games where Thompson comes off the bench, he is averaging the second-most rebounds per game nationally at 8.5.
Buckeyes Balanced on Offense
Through 27 games, Ohio State has five players contributing 10 or more points a game. Junior Jae'Sean Tate leads the way with 14.0 ppg. He is followed by senior Marc Loving (12.6), sophomore JaQuan Lyle (11.3), junior Trevor Thompson (10.6) and junior Kam Williams (10.4). Junior Keita Bates-Diop, who is out for the remainder of the season (stress fracture, left leg) averaged 9.7 ppg. in nine appearances this year. Thompson's 9.4 rebounds a game leads the team.
Thompson's Effort on the Glass vs. UConn One of Best in Matta Era
Since Thad Matta took over at Ohio State in 2004-05, there have been eight games in which a Buckeye recorded 17 or more rebounds. Trevor Thompson recorded a career-best with 17 boards vs. Connecticut. He also tallied a career-high 17 points in the 64-60 win. Both Greg Oden (vs. Purdue, 3/10/07) and Jared Sullinger (vs. South Carolina Dec. 18, 2010) recorded 19-rebound games. Sullinger also had a pair of games with 18 boards (both vs. Northwestern 3/11/11, 2/29/12). Evan Turner recorded two games with 17 caroms (vs. Alcorn State 11/9/09; and James Madison 11/12/09). Turner's effort vs. Alcorn State was part of triple-double in which he scored 14 points and handed out 10 assists. Terence Dials also grabbed 17 boards in a game vs. Illinois (12/12/06).
Ohio State vs. Nebraska Series
Ohio State leads the all-time series with the Huskers 14-3. The Buckeyes are 5-2 in Lincoln and 7-0 in Columbus. The teams have met three times on neutral courts with the Buckeyes owning the 2-1 advantage in those games. Thad Matta teams are 10-1 vs. Nebraska, which includes a 4-1 record in Lincoln and a 4-0 mark in Columbus. Senior Marc Loving has played the most games vs. Nebraska with six. He averages 9.5 points and 4.2 rebounds in the series. Junior Jae'Sean Tate averages 16.7 points and 8.0 rebounds in three career appearances vs. the Huskers. Sophomore JaQuan Lyle contributes 16.0 points and 5.5 rebounds in the series. Junior Trevor Thompson has met the Huskers twice. He averages 5.0 points and 9.5 rebounds vs. Nebraska.
Scouting the Cornhuskers
Nebraska visits Ohio State sporting an 11-14 overall record and a 5-8 mark in the Big Ten. The Cornhuskers were 6-6 in non-conference action before opening league play with wins at Indiana, at Maryland and at home vs. Iowa. Senior guard Tai Webster leads the Huskers in scoring at 17.8 points per game. Sophomore guard Glynn Watson Jr. is next with 14.0 ppg. Sophomore forward Ed Morrow leads the way on the boards with 7.9 caroms a game.
Last Time vs. Nebraska
Marc Loving was so open when he caught C.J. Jackson's inbounds pass, there was only one thing for him to do. "Easy,'' he said. ''Lay it in.'' Loving did just that after he took Jackson's pass from under the basket. The ball bounced on the rim before dropping through with less than a second to play, giving Ohio State a 67-66 victory over Nebraska Jan. 18 in Lincoln. Loving had moved freely into the lane after the man guarding him, Tai Webster, switched off him and Glynn Watson Jr., who was coming to defend, fell down. Webster had driven for Nebraska's go-ahead layup with 35 seconds left, and Ohio State played for the last shot. Loving missed a 3-pointer, but JaQuan Lyle got the rebound under the basket, and the Buckeyes were able to call timeout with 1.9 seconds left to set up the winning play. Loving had 15 points, and Lyle and Jae'Sean Tate added 13 apiece for the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes, who have won four straight over the Huskers, were turnover-free in the second half after committing 11 in the first while falling behind 40-32. They capitalized on Nebraska's shooting. The Huskers hit 50 percent from the field in the first half but just 29.2 percent in the second. Webster had 18 points to lead the Huskers.
Ohio State vs. The Big Ten
Ohio State is competing in its 105th season as a member of the Big Ten Conference in 2016-17. The Buckeyes own an overall record of 800-710 against current league members. Thad Matta, in 17 seasons as a head coach, owns an overall record of 175-87 vs. league members, including a mark of 171-84 while coaching the Buckeyes.
Matta Climbing All-Time Big Ten Wins Chart
Thad Matta has 148 career regular-season wins in Big Ten Conference play to rank No. 13 all-time in Big Ten history. Ohio State's Harold Olsen (1923-46) holds down the No. 12 spots with 154 all-time league wins.
Rookie Starters in Matta Era
Thad Matta has started seven freshmen in their first game at Ohio State during his tenure (2005-present). Four of those rookies did so from 2005-06 to 2006-07. Rookie Micah Potter, a freshman center from Mentor, Ohio, started his first game as a Buckeye at Navy Nov. 14. The two most recent freshman starters were Jared Sullinger at center in 2010-11 and rookie guard D'Angelo Russell in 2014-15. David Lighty and Mike Conley Jr. were the first freshmen starters in the Matta era in 2006. Jon Diebler and Kosta Koufos got the starting nod in 2007-08.
Noting the Michigan State Game
• Ohio State trails the all-time series against Michigan State, 68-56.
• Ohio State held the Spartans to under 50 percent shooting at 48.1 percent.
• Thad Matta-coached teams are now 12-16 overall against the Spartans and hold an overall record of 4-8 in East Lansing.
• With Matta at the helm, Ohio State has an overall record of 168-71 against Big Ten members.
• Matta owns a career record of 335-120, 175-87 against Big Ten Conference teams.
• Marc Loving had a strong performance as he recorded a game-high 22 points, one assist and one rebound.
• Loving has now scored 20+ points in consecutive games and for the third time this season.
• He also tied his career high of three blocks which he set in the win over Nebraska Jan. 17.
• JaQuan Lyle returned to the Buckeyes to score 10 points and dish out five assists.
• He has now scored in double figures in 17 games this season.
• Micah Potter scored seven points and contributed two blocks.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.
🏀 Ohio State Basketball Court Fan Vote 🏀
Holtmann Talks 2017-18 Season