COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 14 Ohio State came back to upset No. 3 Purdue, 64-63, on Keita Bates-Diop’s putback with 2.8 seconds left Wednesday night at Mackey Arena. The Buckeyes, now 21-5 on the year, grabbed a share of the Big Ten lead with the Boilermakers at 12-1 in conference play.
What They’re Saying – Chris Holtmann, Ohio State head coach
On the win over Purdue “We beat an incredible team in an incredible environment. Our story is still being told. We’ll continue to grow and continue to get better.”
— IMG Audio (@IMGAudio) February 8, 2018
- Ohio State won its second game of the year against an opponent ranked in the Top 5, the other being an 80-64 victory over No. 1 Michigan State Jan. 7, 2018 in Columbus.
- The Buckeyes’ last road win against a Top 5 opponent was a 67-58 victory over Indiana March 5, 2013 in Bloomington. No. 14 Ohio State defeated No. 2 Indiana in that game.
- The Buckeyes outscored the Boilermakers 28-18 in the paint.
- Ohio State’s bench outscored Purdue’s bench 18-0 in the contest.
- With the win, Chris Holtmann has the most wins in Ohio State history (21) in his first season as coach of the Buckeyes. Thad Matta won 20 (20-12) games in 2005 and Gary Williams won 20 (20-13) in his first season in Columbus in 1987.
- Ohio State is 71-60 all-time in games decided by one point and 23-24 in one-point road games. The last road win decided by one point was at Penn State (71-70) Feb. 28, 2017. Jae’Sean Tate scored a layup late to provide the winning margin. The Ohio State vs. Purdue game last year in Columbus (1/5/17) was a one-point game as well, 76-75, in favor of the Boilermakers.
- Ohio State trailed Purdue 58-53 at the 5:00 mark of the second half before going on to win 64-63. The last time Ohio State rallied to win a game when trailing with 5:00 to play in the game was against Michigan Dec. 4, 2017. The Wolverines led 58-56 before Ohio State went on to win 71-62.
- Keita Bates-Diop recorded his 11th double-double of the season and 17th of his career with 18 points and 11 rebounds. The Buckeyes are 16-1 in games in which Bates-Diop tallies a double-double.
- C.J. Jackson scored his 500th career point in the contest.
- Andre Wesson scored a career-high 13 points in a career-high 36 minutes against the Boilermakers.
Looking Back at Buckeyes/Hoosiers
Looking Back at Buckeyes/Scarlet Knights