Battle of Top 5 Teams set for East Lansing
Jan. 6, 2014
|Amir Williams is one of two Michigan natives on the Ohio State roster.|
Purchase Online | Ohio State Men's Basketball | OhioStateHoops | @OhioStateHoops
@JeffBoals | @Greg_Paulus | @CoachCSpartz | @CoachJDiebler
@DRich111 | @OSUADAthComm | @DWarner_OSU
No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes (15-0, 2-0) at No. 5 Michigan St. Spartans (13-1, 2-0)
|Date:||Jan. 7, 2014|
|Site:||Breslin Center (14,797)|
|Game Time:||9:05 p.m. ET|
|Talent:||Mike Tirico (play-by-play)|
Dan Dakich (expert analysis)
Allison Williams (sideline)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 91/XM 91|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Paul Keels (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
Craft Earns Big Ten POW
Aaron Craft reached 600 career assists last week with 10 helpers at Purdue to crack the Top 10 all-time in Big Ten history. He finished the week with 14 assists, no turnovers and seven steals to lead Ohio State to a 2-0 start in Big Ten Conference play and an overall mark of 15-0. Craft averaged 8.0 points, 5.5 rebounds, 7.0 assists, 3.5 steals and shot 50 percent from the field (7-14) in wins at Purdue (78-69) and at home vs. Nebraksa (84-53).
The Michigan State Series
The Spartans lead the all-time series with the Buckeyes 61-54. The Buckeyes own a 17-37 record in games played in East Lansing, Mich. The Buckeyes have won two of the last three meetings on the road and are 22-11 vs. Michigan State all-time when ranked nationally in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll. When both teams are ranked, each team has won seven of the 14 games played. When MSU is ranked it is 18-9 vs. the Buckeyes. The game this week matches a pair of Top 5 teams. It's the first time the teams have faced one another while ranked in the Top 5. Ohio State is No. 3, MSU is No. 5. Ohio State was ranked No. 10 the last time it defeated a Top 5 MSU team in East Lansing, a 72-70 victory over No. 5 Michigan State March 4, 2012. That win gave the Buckeyes a share of the 2012 Big Ten regular season title. Ohio State has won four of the last five times it has played as a ranked team vs. MSU in East Lansing. Aaron Craft leads the Buckeyes with an average of 12.4 points per game in the MSU series. In seven all-time meetings, Craft has helped the Buckeyes to a 4-3 record in those games. He also is the top rebounder with 4.0 a game in the MSU series.
A Look at The Spartans
Michigan State enters the game ranked No. 5 nationally with a 13-1 overall record and a 2-0 Big Ten Conference mark. The lone loss of the season was at home vs. North Carolina (79-65) Dec. 4 in the Big Ten ACC/Challenge. Key wins have come against vs. Kentucky, at Texas and most recently at Indiana. Sophomore Gary Harris is the leading scorer with 18.2 points per game. Seniors Adreian Payne (16.1 ppg.) and Keith Appling (15.6 ppg.) along with junior Branden Dawson (11.2 ppg.) also contribute double figures. Dawson is the leading rebounder with 9.0 boards a contest.
Ohio State vs. The Big Ten
Ohio State is in its 102nd season as a member of the Big Ten Conference. The Buckeyes own an overall record of 757-673 against current league members. Thad Matta, in 14 seasons as a head coach, owns an overall record of 135-52 vs. league members, including a mark of 132-50 while coaching the Buckeyes.
Matta Extends Streak vs. Non-Conference Foes
Thad Matta has directed Ohio State to at least 10 wins during non-conference play in each of his 10 seasons in Columbus. Matta is 133-23 vs. non-conference competition at Ohio State and 132-50 vs. Big Ten foes (regular season and Big Ten tournament games) for an overall record of 265-73. In 14 seasons as a head coach (1 at Butler, 3 at Xavier and 10 at Ohio State) Matta is 135-52 vs. the Big Ten. He has winning records vs. 10 league teams (ILL (12-5), IND (11-7), IOWA (11-4), MICH (17-4), MINN (10-5), NW (15-1), PSU (17-0), PUR (15-6), MSU (10-9) and NEB (6-0). Matta is 11-11 vs. Wisconsin.
Defense Clicking for Buckeyes
Ohio State has not allowed an opponent to reach 70 points this season over the first 15 games. Ohio scored 69 points in a 79-69 loss to the Buckeyes Nov. 12 and Purdue fell 78-69 to Ohio State Dec. 31 in West Lafayette. The 15-game streak without an opponent scoring 70 or more points is the longest for Ohio State since a 22-game streak during the 2010-11 season from Nov. 20, 2010 to Feb. 6, 2011. The Buckeyes were 22-0 over that streak. Ohio State has held the last 10 Big Ten opponents under 70 points dating back to Feb. 20, 2013. In nine of those games, the opponent was held to 60 or fewer points. No. 4 Michigan State scored 60 in a 68-60 loss to the No. 18 Buckeyes in Columbus Feb. 24, 2013. The first, all-time, team to score 70 points in a game vs. the Buckeyes was New York University in an overtime NCAA tournament game March 25, 1945. Ohio State lost in the Final Four 70-65 at Madison Square Garden. Marquette was the first team to score 70 points vs. Ohio State in a regular-season game. The Golden Eagles fell to Ohio State in Milwaukee 83-70 Dec. 13, 1947. The first team to score 70 against the Buckeyes in Columbus was DePaul, who defeated the Buckeyes 70-68 Dec. 3, 1949 in the season opener. Since the 1949-50 season, Ohio State's longest streak of holding opponents under 70 points is 32 games from Dec. 5, 1949 to Dec. 30, 1950. Thad Matta teams have three of the top four longest streaks in Ohio State history holding opponents under 70 points. Ohio State has not allowed an opponent to reach 70 points this season (15-0), a streak that is the fourth longest all-time in Ohio State history.
Noting the Nebraska Game
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Nebraska 10-2. The Buckeyes own a 6-0 advantage in games played in Columbus.
- Ohio State is 68-30 all-time in Big Ten home openers.
- The Buckeyes own an overall record of 757-673 against current Big Ten members.
- Five players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Amedeo Della Valle (15), Marc Loving (13), Shannon Scott (13), LaQuinton Ross (11) and Amir Williams (10).
- With 15 wins to start the 2013-14 season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the fifth year in which an Ohio State team has won 10 or more games to start the season.
- Ohio State has not allowed an opponent to reach 70 points over the first 15 games this season. The 15-game streak without an opponent scoring 70 or more points is the longest for Ohio State since a 22-game streak during the 2010-11 season from Nov. 20, 2010 to Feb. 6, 2011.
- Ohio State held Nebraska to a season-low 53 points. Through 14 games, OSU ranks No. 3 nationally in scoring defense (55.1 ppg).
- Nebraska shot 4 of 15 from 3-point range (26.7 percent). Opponents are shooting 24.3 percent from 3 (60-247) against the Buckeyes this season. Through 14 games, OSU ranks No. 2 nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense.
- As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 470-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 336-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- Ohio State has won 79-consecutive home games against unranked opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Ohio State has won 52-consecutive home games against unranked Big Ten opponents. The last loss was Jan. 19 2005 vs. Minnesota. Thad Matta is 52-1 unranked Big Ten opponents.
- The Buckeyes are 78-21 all-time vs. Big Ten opponents at Value City Arena, 3-0 vs. Nebraska.
- The Ohio State bench outscored the Nebraska bench 38-12. The Buckeye bench has outscored opposing benches 325-177 this season.
- The Buckeyes scored 17 points off of 13 Nebraska turnovers.
- Matta is 265-73 during his career at Ohio State and 367-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 219-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta owns a 10-0 record in Big Ten home openers.
- In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 135-52 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 132-50 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 6-0 against Nebraska as OSU head coach.
- Matta is 54-22 in the month of January as OSU head coach.
- Amedeo Della Valle led all scorers with 15 points.
- Della Valle shot a perfect 5-of-5 from the field, 3-of-3 from 3-point range.
- Marc Loving posted a career-high 13 points.
- Loving connected on career-best 7-of-8 free throws and tied a career best with five rebounds.
- Aaron Craft collected three steals against Nebraska. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 286. He needs 15 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 39 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
- Had four assists vs. the Cornhuskers. He is Ohio State's all-time assist leader with 604 for his career. Craft ranks ninth all-time in Big Ten history and needs nine steals to pass Jeff Horner of Iowa (612) for eighth.
- Scored nine points. He ranks 41st all-time at Ohio State with 1,112 career points. He needs nine points to pass Curtis Wilson (1,120) for 40th.
- LaQuinton Ross has scored in double figures in nine of the last 10 games.
- Ross passed 200 career rebounds (202).
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.
Season Tickets On Sale for Winter Sports