|Aaron Craft recorded 10 assists vs. the Boilermakers Tuesday in West Lafayette.|
Preview: Coach Matta | Preview: Williams & Thompson
Purchase Online | Ohio State Men's Basketball | OhioStateHoops | @OhioStateHoops
@JeffBoals | @Greg_Paulus | @CoachCSpartz | @CoachJDiebler
@DRich111 | @OSUADAthComm | @DWarner_OSU
No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes (14-0, 1-0) vs. The Nebraska Cornhuskers (8-5, 0-1)
|Date:||Jan. 4, 2014|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Game Time:||Noon ET|
|Talent:||Eric Collins (play-by-play)|
Jim Jackson (expert analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 93/XM 192|
|Local Radio:||WBNS FM-97.1 AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:||Herb Howenstine (play-by-play)|
Ron Stokes (expert analysis)
The Nebraska Series
Ohio State leads the all-time series with the Cornhuskers 9-2. The Buckeyes own a 5-0 advantage in games played in Columbus. The Buckeyes have won the last eight meetings and are 6-0 all-time when ranked nationally in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll. The game this week is the first time in which the Buckeyes enter the contest ranked among the Top 5 nationally in the Nebraska series. Ohio State is currently ranked No. 3. Lenzelle Smith Jr. averages 9.8 points a game to lead the Buckeyes in the series with Nebraska. He has played in five games vs. the Cornhuskers and has made 16 of 27 field goals (.593) and 9 of 17 3-pointers (.529). Junior Amir Williams (4.8 rpg.) and Aaron Craft (4.2 rpg.) are the leading rebounders for the Buckeyes in the Nebraska series.
Matta's Buckeyes Undefeated in 1st Big Ten Conference Home Game
Since Thad Matta took over the Ohio State program, the Buckeyes are 9-0 in the first home Big Ten Conference game of the season. The Buckeyes have been ranked among the Top 10 in the last four games, including the 2014 home opener vs. Nebraska Saturday. Ohio State has been ranked in seven of the 10 home openers under Matta. No opponent has reached 70 points during the streak and four have not reached the 60-point mark.
|Date||Opp.||W/L||Score (AP rk.)|
A Look at The Cornhuskers
Nebraska enters the game with the Buckeyes with an 8-5 overall record and an 0-1 mark in the Big Ten. The Cornhuskers fell at Iowa last Tuesday 67-57 to open league play. In non-conference action, Nebraska won six of the first eight games with losses vs. UMass and UAB. Key wins were against Georgia, Miami (Fla.) and Northern Illinois. Nebraska lost at Cincinnati in the final game before league play began. Sophomore forward Terran Petteway (17.5 ppg.) and sophomore guard Shavon Shields (12.5 ppg.) lead Nebraska in scoring. Junior forward Leslee Smith is the squad`s top rebounder with 6.2 rebounds a contest.
Ohio State vs. The Big Ten
Ohio State is in its 102nd season as a member of the Big Ten Conference. The Buckeyes own an overall record of 756-673 against current league members. Thad Matta, in 14 seasons as a head coach, owns an overall record of 134-52 vs. league members, including a mark of 131-50 while coaching the Buckeyes.
Matta Extends Streak vs. Non-Conference Foes
Thad Matta has directed Ohio State to at least 10 wins during non-conference play in each of his 10 seasons in Columbus. Matta is 133-23 vs. non-conference competition at Ohio State and 131-50 vs. Big Ten foes (regular season and Big Ten tournament games) for an overall record of 264-73. In 14 seasons as a head coach (1 at Butler, 3 at Xavier and 10 at Ohio State) Matta is 134-52 vs. the Big Ten. He has winning records vs. 10 league teams (ILL (12-5), IND (11-7), IOWA (11-4), MICH (17-4), MINN (10-5), NW (15-1), PSU (17-0), PUR (15-6) and NEB (5-0). Matta is 10-9 vs. MSU and 11-11 vs. Wisconsin.
Buckeyes Open 102nd Season in B1G
This is the 102nd season of Big Ten membership in men's basketball for the Buckeyes. Ohio State is 56-42 (.571) in conference openers, 67-30 (.691) in league home openers and 36-62 (.367) in the first road game of the season in Big Ten play. When the Buckeyes open the Big Ten season at home, their record is 37-18 (.673). When Ohio State begins Big Ten play on the road, the record is 19-24 (.442). Thad Matta is 9-2 in conference openers at Ohio State. In the last 10 years under Matta, the Buckeyes have opened league play at home five times (5-0) and have a 3-2 road opener mark.
Noting the Purdue Game
- Ohio State is 56-42 in Big Ten openers and 36-62 in Big Ten road openers. When Ohio State begins Big Ten play on the road, the record is 19-24.
- When matched with Purdue in the Big Ten opener, Ohio State is 6-5.
- Ohio State owns an 18-7 record on Dec. 31 since first playing on New Year's Eve in 1912.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: LaQuinton Ross (25 points), Shannon Scott (18) and Lenzelle Smith Jr. (14). Both Ross and Scott notched career highs in scoring.
- With 14 wins to start the 2013-14 season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the sixth year in which an Ohio State teams has won 10 or more games to start the season.
- Ohio State has not allowed an opponent to reach 70 points over the first 14 games this season. The 14-game streak without an opponent scoring 70 or more points is the longest for Ohio State since a 22-game streak during the 2010-11 season from Nov. 20, 2010 to Feb. 6, 2011.
- As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 469-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 335-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- The Buckeyes own an overall record of 756-673 against current Big Ten members.
- Ohio State secured 15 points off 12 Purdue turnovers.
- OSU recorded a season-high 21 assists.
- Thad Matta is 264-73 during his career at Ohio State and 366-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 218-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta owns an 8-2 record in Big Ten openers, 3-2 on the road.
- In 14 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 134-52 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 131-50 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 14-5 against Purdue as OSU head coach.
- Matta is 63-9 in the month of December as OSU head coach.
- Aaron Craft collected four steals against Purdue. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 283. He needs 18 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 42 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
- Craft tied a season-high with 10 assists vs. the Boilermakers. He is Ohio State's all-time assist leader with 600 for his career. Craft moved to eighth all-time in Big Ten history, passing Deron Williams (594) and Eric Snow (599). He needs 13 to pass Jeff Horner of Iowa (612).
- Craft scored seven points. He ranks 42nd all-time at Ohio State with 1,103 career points. He needs five to pass Ron Sepic for 41st.
- Craft tied a career high with eight rebounds.
- LaQuinton Ross earned his third-consecutive double-double with 25 points and 12 rebounds, both career highs. Ross has posted four total double-doubles during his Buckeye career.
- Ross has scored in double figures in eight of the last nine games ... crossed the 500-point milestone for his collegiate career (518).
- Shannon Scott scored a career-high 18 points.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.
Buckeyes in the NBA - April 10
Buckeyes in the NBA
Buckeyes in the NBA