Postgame Notes: No. 3 Ohio State (14-0, 1-0) 78, Purdue (10-4, 0-1) 69
Dec. 31, 2013
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
No. 3 Ohio State (14-0, 1-0) 78, Purdue (10-4, 0-1) 69
Dec. 31, 2013
Mackey Arena – West Lafayette, Ind.
- Purdue leads the all-time series with the Buckeyes 83-80. The Boilermakers own a 52-29 advantage in games played in West Lafayette.
- Ohio State is 56-42 in Big Ten openers and 36-62 in Big Ten road openers. When Ohio State begins Big Ten play on the road, the record is 19-24.
- When matched with Purdue in the Big Ten opener, Ohio State is 6-5.
- Ohio State owns an 18-7 record on Dec. 31 since first playing on New Year’s Eve in 1912.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: LaQuinton Ross (25 points), Shannon Scott (18) and Lenzelle Smith Jr. (14).
- With 14 wins to start the 2013-14 season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the fifth year in which an Ohio State teams has won 10 or more games to start the season.
- Ohio State has not allowed an opponent to reach 70 points over the first 14 games this season. The 14-game streak without an opponent scoring 70 or more points is the longest for Ohio State since a 22-game streak during the 2010-11 season from Nov. 20, 2010 to Feb. 6, 2011.
- As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 469-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 335-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- The Buckeyes own an overall record of 756-673 against current Big Ten members.
- Ohio State secured 15 points off 12 Purdue turnovers.
- The Buckeyes owned a 44-42 advantage in points scored from the paint. They edged out the Boilermakers in fast break points, 15-9.
- OSU recorded a season-high 21 assists.
- Matta is 264-73 during his career at Ohio State and 366-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 218-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta owns an 8-2 record in Big Ten openers, 3-2 on the road.
- In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 134-52 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 131-50 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 14-5 against Purdue as OSU head coach.
- Matta is 63-9 in the month of December as OSU head coach.
- Collected four steals against Purdue. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 283. He needs 18 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 42 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
- Had a season-high 10 assists vs. the Boilermakers. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 600 for his career. Craft moved to ninth all-time in Big Ten history, passing Deron Williams (594) and Eric Snow (599). He needs 13 to pass Jeff Horner of Iowa (612).
- Scored seven points. He ranks 42nd all-time at Ohio State with 1,103 career points. He needs five to pass Ron Sepic for 41st.
- Tied a career high with eight rebounds.
- Earned his third-consecutive double-double with 25 points and 12 rebounds, both career highs. Ross has posted four total double-doubles during his Buckeye career.
- Has scored in double figures in eight of the last nine games.
- Crossed the 500-point milestone for his collegiate career (518).
- Scored a career-high 18 points.
Jent Returns to Men's Basketball Program