Dec. 27, 2013
No. 3 Ohio State (13-0) 71, ULM (3-5) 31
Dec. 27, 2013
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
• The game Friday was the first meeting all-time between Ohio State and ULM. The Buckeyes are 8-1 all-time against current members of the Sun Belt Conference.
• Ohio State opened the first half with a 12-0 run and the second half with a 13-0 spurt. ULM was held scoreless for the first 9:19 of the second half.
• Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Lenzelle Smith Jr. (17 points), LaQuinton Ross (15) and Amedeo Della Valle (14).
• The combination of Smith Jr. and Ross (32 points) outscored the Warhawks (31 points) for the game.
• OSU held ULM to season lows in: points (31), points scored in a half (11, second half), field goal percentage (18.5 percent, 10-54), 3-point field goal percentage (16.7 percent, 3-18) and assists (four).
• No ULM player made more than two field goals for the game.
• The Buckeyes owned a 30-12 edge in points scored in the paint and a 14-0 advantage in points off turnovers.
• With 13 wins to start the 2013-14 season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the fifth year in which an Ohio State teams has won 10 or more games to start the season.
• Ohio State has won 78-consecutive home games against unranked opponents, 51 consecutive against unranked nonconference opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
• Ohio State is 108-6 all-time vs. non-conference opponents at Value City Arena.
• As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 468-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 334-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
• Matta is 263-73 during his career at Ohio State and 365-104 overall as a head coach.
• Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 215-22 record as Ohio State head coach. Matta is 145-2 against unranked opponents at home.
• Matta has directed Ohio State to at least 10 wins during non-conference play in each of his 10 seasons in Columbus. Matta is 133-23 vs. non-conference competition.
• Matta owns a 164-14 home record as head coach of the Buckeyes.
• Matta is 62-9 in the month of December as OSU head coach.
Lenzelle Smith Jr.
• Led all scorers with 17 points.
• Posted his third career double-double with 15 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
• Has scored in double figures in seven of the last eight games.
Amedeo Della Valle
• Tied career bests with five rebounds and two assists.
• Passed 100 career points (106).
• Had four assists against the Warhawks. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 590 for his career.
• Scored four points. He ranks 43rd all-time at Ohio State with 1,096 career points. He needs five points to pass Mel Nowell (1,100) for 42nd.
Buckeyes in the NBA