Dec. 18, 2012
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery
No. 7 Ohio State (9-1) 65, Winthrop (4-5) 55
Dec. 18, 2012
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
• Tuesday marked the first meeting between Ohio State and Winthrop, a member of the Big South Conference. Overall, OSU holds a 15-0 all-time record vs. teams representing the Big South.
• Leading 47-44 at the 10:42 mark of the second half, the Buckeyes used a 15-3 run to take control of the game.
• Ohio State held a 24-8 advantage in points in the paint.
• OSU scored 17 points off of 14 Winthrop turnovers.
• As a ranked team (AP), No. 7 Ohio State is 435-117 all-time. Ohio State is 314-68 when ranked in the Top 10.
• Ohio State extended its non-conference home winning streak to 39-consecutive games, the fifth longest in the nation. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
• Matta is 230-66 during his career at Ohio State and 332-97 overall as a head coach.
• In his nine seasons as Ohio State head coach, Matta has compiled a 76-2 record against non-conference opponents at home and a 117-21 record overall against non-conference foes. His teams have never failed to win at least 10 non-Big Ten games.
• Matta is 12-0 in his coaching career against members of the Big South Conference.
• During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes have a record of 191-21 vs. unranked opponents. Over the last three years, the Buckeyes are 61-1 vs. unranked foes.
• Ohio State owns a 144-12 home record during the Matta era. The Buckeyes are 62-3 in Columbus over the past four seasons.
• Led all scorers with 21 points.
• With 1,101 points, Thomas moves to No. 41 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State. He needs seven points to surpass Ron Sepic for 40th.
• His four assists were a career high.
• Has scored in double figures in all 10 games this season and totaled 20 or more points in five of 10 contests.
• Made three 3-pointers for the game. Needs two to total 100 for his career.
• Recorded three steals against the Eagles. He has 188 for his career, good for No. 3 all-time in Ohio State history. David Lighty (2007-11) is No. 2 with 191. Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State’s career leader with 204.
• Collected five assists for the game, bringing his career total to 406. Needs nine assists to pass Evan Turner (414) for seventh on the all-time list at Ohio State.
• His five rebounds tied a season high.
Lenzelle Smith, Jr.
• With 14 points for the game, passed 400 for his career (403).
• His three assists tied a season best.
• Has scored in double figures in seven of 10 games this season.
• Tied a career high with seven points, all in the second half.
• Collected six rebounds for the game, a career best.
• Has recorded at least one steal in eight-consecutive games.