Postgame Notes: Ohio State vs. UNC Asheville
Dec. 15, 2012
No. 7 Ohio State (8-1) 90, UNC Asheville (3-7) 72
Dec. 15, 2012
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- Ohio State improved to 5-0 all-time against UNC Asheville. Overall, OSU holds a 14-0 record vs. teams representing the Big South Conference.
- Four players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Sam Thompson (18), Deshaun Thomas (17), Lenzelle Smith, Jr. (16), and Evan Ravenel (12).
- In 46 minutes of play, Ohio State guards Aaron Craft and Shannon Scott combined for 17 assists and only one turnover.
- The Buckeyes scored 50 points in the paint compared to the Bulldogs’ 28.
- On the fast break, Ohio State earned a 26-2 advantage in points.
- The Buckeyes scored 25 points off of 17 UNC Asheville turnovers.
- Ohio State opened the second half on a 15-3 run after allowing a season-high 35 points in the first half of play.
- The OSU bench outscored UNC Asheville’s 21-12. This season, Ohio State holds a 218-111 advantage in bench points against all opponents.
- The Buckeyes totaled a season-best 25 assists.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 7 Ohio State is 434-117 all-time. Ohio State is 313-68 when ranked in the Top 10.
- Ohio State extended its non-conference home winning streak to 38-consecutive games. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Matta is 229-66 during his career at Ohio State and 331-97 overall as a head coach.
- In his nine seasons as Ohio State head coach, Matta has compiled a 75-2 record against non-conference opponents at home and a 116-21 record overall against non-conference foes. His teams have never failed to win at least 10 non-Big Ten games.
- Matta is 11-0 in his coaching career against members of the Big South Conference.
- During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes have a record of 190-21 vs. unranked opponents. Over the last three years, the Buckeyes are 60-1 vs. unranked foes.
- Ohio State owns a 143-12 home record during the Matta era. The Buckeyes are 61-3 in Columbus over the past four seasons.
- Recorded his second double-double of the season and fifth of his career with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- With 1,080 points, Thomas moves to No. 42 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State. He needs 20 points to surpass Mel Nowell for 41st.
- He has scored in double figures all nine games this season.
- Led the Buckeyes in scoring with a career-high 18 points.
- Shot a career-best 7-of-8 from the free throw line (87.5 percent).
- Tallied a career-high six steals. The total ranks fourth all-time at Ohio State for steals earned in a game.
- Has recorded at least one steal in seven-consecutive games this season.
- Recorded one steal against the Bulldogs. He has 185 for his career, good for No. 3 all-time in Ohio State history. David Lighty (2007-11) is No. 2 with 191. Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State’s career leader with 204.
- Totaled eight assists, a season best.
- Scored 12 points against the Bulldogs, tying a career high.
- Dished his first career assist as a Buckeye.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights