Dec. 12, 2012
No. 7 Ohio State (7-1) 85, Savannah State (5-5) 45
Dec. 12, 2012
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
• Ohio State and Savannah State met for the first time Wednesday. The Buckeyes improved to 16-0 all-time against members of the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference.
• Ohio State scored 85 points and shot 47 percent from the field for the game. Savannah State had not allowed more than 62 points in its previous nine games and was holding opponents to an average of 37 percent from the field.
• Four players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Deshaun Thomas (22), LaQuinton Ross (13), Shannon Scott (12) and Evan Ravenel (11).
• OSU held a 48-21 rebounding advantage, including a 19-7 edge in offensive rebounds.
• The Buckeyes owned a 26-6 advantage in second chance points and a 20-6 edge in fast break points.
• Ohio State scored 28 points off of 20 Savannah State turnovers. As a team, OSU collected 12 steals, a season high.
• The Buckeyes took control of the game with a 20-5 run in the first half. The spurt covered 8:35 of play.
• The OSU bench outscored Savannah State’s bench 35-18.
• The Buckeyes made 10 or more 3-pointers for the third time this season, shooting 10-19 from behind the arch.
• Ohio State extended its non-conference home winning streak to 37-consecutive games. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
• As a ranked team (AP), No. 7 Ohio State is 433-117 all-time. Ohio State is 312-68 when ranked in the Top 10.
• Matta is 228-66 during his career at Ohio State and 330-97 overall as a head coach.
• In his nine seasons as Ohio State head coach, Matta has compiled a 74-2 record against non-conference opponents at home and a 115-21 record overall against non-conference foes. His teams have never failed to win at least 10 non-Big Ten games.
• During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes have a record of 189-21 vs. unranked opponents. Over the last three years, the Buckeyes are 59-1 vs. unranked foes.
• Ohio State owns a 142-12 home record during the Matta era. The Buckeyes are 60-3 in Columbus over the past four seasons.
• Led all scorers with 22 points.
• Outscored the entire Savannah State team 21-18 in the first half.
• With 1,063 points, Thomas is currently 44th on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State. He needs 11 points to surpass Carter Scott for 43rd.
• Has scored in double figures in all eight games this season.
• Contributed 13 points, all in the second half.
• Tied a career-high with nine rebounds.
• Collected three steals, a career best.
• Scored in double figures for the third-consecutive game and fifth time overall this season.
• Scored a career-high 12 points and connected on two 3-pointers, also a career best.
• Collected four steals, a career best.
• Tallied a career-high nine rebounds.
• Recorded two steals against the Tigers. He has 184 for his career, good for No. 3 all-time in Ohio State history. David Lighty (2007-11) is No. 2 with 191. Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State’s career leader with 204.
• Saw his first game action as a Buckeye and scored one point.
Amedeo Della Valle
• Has made a 3-pointer in three-consecutive games.
Buckeyes’ 2017-18 Schedule Set
Summer Update - C.J. Jackson
Musa Jallow Added to Roster for 2017-18