Postgame Notes: Ohio State vs. Long Beach State
Dec. 8, 2012
No. 7 Ohio State (6-1) 89, Long Beach State (3-6) 55
Dec. 8, 2012
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- The 49ers of Long Beach State and Ohio State have met just once previously, a 93-86 win for the Buckeyes Nov. 26, 1987, at the Lobo Classic in Albuquerque, N.M.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 7 Ohio State is 432-117 all-time. Ohio State is 311-68 when ranked in the Top 10.
- Against members of the Big West Conference, Ohio State is 8-1 all-time.
- Four players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Deshaun Thomas (18), Lenzelle Smith, Jr. (14), LaQuinton Ross (16) and Sam Thompson (13).
- Five players tied or set career highs in points: Sam Thompson (13), Amir Williams (seven), Amedeo Della Valle (five), Trey McDonald (four), and Alex Rogers (two).
- Ohio State went on a 6-0 run to end the first half of play. The Buckeyes extended the run into the second half (29-7). The team also put together a 17-2 second half run.
- The Buckeye bench outscored the 49ers 37-14.
- Ohio State had 21 fast break points compared to Long Beach State’s four.
- Ohio State outrebounded Long Beach State 49-33.
- With 50 points earned in the second half of play, the Buckeyes surpassed their previous second half high of 43 points recorded vs. Albany (11/11/12).
- Ohio State recorded their highest rebound and assist totals for a game this season with 49 and 22, respectively.
- Matta is 227-66 during his career at Ohio State and 329-97 overall as a head coach.
- In his nine seasons as Ohio State head coach, Matta has compiled a 73-2 record against non-conference opponents at home and a 114-21 record overall against non-conference foes. His teams have never failed to win at least 10 non-Big Ten games.
- During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes have a record of 188-21 vs. unranked opponents. Over the last three years, the Buckeyes are 58-1 vs. unranked foes.
- Ohio State owns a 141-12 home record during the Matta era. The Buckeyes are 59-3 in Columbus over the past four seasons.
- Led the Buckeyes in scoring with 18 points.
- With 1,041 points, Thomas is currently 47th on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State. He needs 15 points to surpass Ken Johnson and Jamie Skelton.
- Recorded one steal against the 49ers. He has 182 for his career, good for No. 3 all-time in Ohio State history. David Lighty (2007-11) is No. 2 with 191. Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State’s career leader with 204.
- Dished a career-high four assists vs. the 49ers.
- Recorded nine rebounds, a career high.
- Tied a career high with five rebounds.
- Recorded first career steal as a Buckeye.
- Scored a career-high five points.
- Had seven points vs. Long Beach State, a career high.
- Dropped 13 points, which surpassed a previous career high of 11 points.
- Scored a career-high four points.
- Recorded four rebounds, a career high.
- Tallied first career steal vs. the 49ers.
- Scored his first career field goal as a Buckeye, a layup with an assist awarded to Sam Thompson.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference