Postgame Notes: No. 5 Ohio State 76, Maryland 60
Dec. 4, 2013
No. 5 Ohio State (7-0) 76, Maryland 60 (5-3)
2013 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Dec. 4, 2013
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- Ohio State is 4-2 all-time vs. Maryland and 66-42 vs. current members of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Ohio State is 6-6 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge; the Buckeyes are 5-1 in their last six challenge contests.
- During pregame, the Big Ten Conference recognized former Ohio State and Maryland head coach Gary Williams.
- Ohio State went on an 18-7 run spanning 8:04 in the first half of play. During the run, the Buckeyes developed a 27-16 lead over the Terrapins.
- Four players scored in double figures for Ohio State: LaQuinton Ross (20 points), Sam Thompson (14), Lenzelle Smith Jr. (12) and Aaron Craft (10).
- Ohio State has won 73-consecutive home games against unranked opponents, 46 consecutive against unranked non-conference opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Ohio State is 104-6 all-time vs. non-conference opponents at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, No. 5 Ohio State is 462-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 328-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- The Buckeye bench has outscored opposing benches 155-67 this season. Tonight, the Buckeyes recorded 26 bench points, compared to 17 from Maryland.
- Ohio State held a 25-8 advantage in points off turnovers. The Terps turned the ball over 14 times.
- Ohio State held Maryland to 2-18 shooting from 3-point range, a season low in made 3 pointers and 3-point percentage for the Terrapins (11 percent). Opponents are shooting 22.4 percent (26-116) from 3 against OSU this season.
- OSU guards Shannon Scott and Aaron Craft combined for 11 assists and only four turnovers for the game.
- Matta is 257-73 during his career at Ohio State and 359-104 overall as a head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 211-22 record as Ohio State head coach. Matta is 139-2 against unranked opponents at home.
- Matta owns a 159-14 home record as head coach of the Buckeyes.
- Matta is 56-9 in the month of December as OSU head coach.
- Ranks 47th all-time at Ohio State with 1,050 career points. He needs six points to pass Ken Johnson and Jamie Skelton for 46th.
- Collected five steals against the Terps. With 268 career steals, Craft remains sixth all-time in Big Ten history. He needs five to pass Pat Baldwin of Northwestern (272) for fifth.
- Has 12 career games with five or more steals.
- Had six assists against Maryland. He ranks second on the all-time list at Ohio State with 568. He needs 12 assists to pass Jamar Butler (579) for first.
- Scored 12 points vs. Maryland, surpassing 700 career points as a Buckeye (709).
- Led all scorers with 20 points.
- Tied a career high with four 3-point field goals.
Buckeyes Handle No. 16 Badgers, 83-73
Buckeyes in the NBA