Nov. 18, 2012
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery
No. 4 Ohio State (3-0) 77, Washington (2-2) 66
Nov. 18, 2012
Mohegan Sun Arena – Uncasville, Conn.
- The Buckeyes and the Huskies first played in December of 1938 in Seattle.
- Ohio State owns a 4-8 record vs. Washington. To begin the series, Washington won the first five games, including four at Washington and the fifth in Columbus in 1947.
- The teams have not met since 1972, a 67-63 loss for the Buckeyes, who were ranked No. 10 against the unranked Huskies. The last time the teams met on a neutral court was Dec. 27, 1961 when the No. 1 ranked Buckeyes downed the unranked Huskies 59-49 at the L.A. Holiday Classic in California.
- The matchup is the third of four in the 2013 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Classic for the Buckeyes. Ohio State closes out the tournament at home vs. Missouri-Kansas City Nov. 23.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 4 Ohio State is 429-116 all-time. Ohio State is 308-67 when ranked in the Top 10.
- Against teams currently representing the Pacific 12 Conference, Ohio State is 37-36.
- Ohio State forced 13 Washington turnovers, while the Buckeyes only gave up six.
- Ohio State out-shot Washington 57-48.
- The Buckeyes out-rebounded the Huskies 30-24 overall and 12-6 on the offensive glass.
- For the second-consecutive game Ohio State had three players reach double figures in scoring: Deshaun Thomas (31 points); Aaron Craft (18); and Evan Ravenel (12).
- Matta is 224-65 during his career at Ohio State and 326-96 overall as a head coach.
- Against non-conference opponents, Matta has amassed a record of 111-20 during his tenure in Columbus. His teams have never failed to win at least 10 non-Big Ten games over the last eight seasons.
- Matta owns a 3-3 record vs. the Pac-12. He is 2-0 vs. California, 0-2 vs. Arizona and 0-1 vs. Stanford. The game is the first time a Matta coached team has competed against the Huskies, improving his record to 1-0.
- During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes are 42-5 in November and have a record of 185-21 vs. unranked opponents. Over the last three years, the Buckeyes are 55-1 vs. unranked foes.
- Under Matta, Ohio State is 139-22 when out-rebounding its opponent.
- Recorded two steals against the Huskies. He has 175 for his career, which is good for No. 3 all-time in Ohio State history. David Lighty (2007-11) is No. 2 with 191. Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State’s career leader with 204.
- Tied a career high 31 points against Washington. Previously recorded the same amount vs. Loyola Maryland (3/15/12).
- Has scored a total of 972 points for his career (79 games).
- Tied a career high three assists vs. the Huskies. Also tallied three assists on four separate occasions, including the last vs. Indiana (1/15/12).
- Scored 21 points in the first half of play. Thomas connected on his first nine shots, and posted a streak of 10-consecutive made field goals during the game.
- Totaled a career high 12 points for the game. Previous high was 11 points, which was recorded vs. Texas-Pan American (12/3/11).
- Tied a career high in steals with three recorded against Washington. Also tallied three vs. Jackson State on Nov. 18, 2011.
- Tied a career high with one steal for the game. Has now picked up a steal five times in his Buckeye career.
- Earned first career steal in the second half of play.
- Also picked up first career block vs. the Huskies.