Postgame Notes: Ohio State vs. Rhode Island
Nov. 17, 2012
No. 4 Ohio State (2-0) 69, Rhode Island (0-3) 58
Nov. 17, 2012
Mohegan Sun Arena – Uncasville, Conn.
- The game marks the first meeting between the Ohio State and Rhode Island basketball programs.
- The matchup was the second of four in the 2013 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Classic for the Buckeyes. Ohio State returns to action Nov. 18 against Washington or Seton Hall in Uncasville, Conn., before closing the tournament at home vs. Missouri-Kansas City Nov. 23.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 4 Ohio State is 428-116 all-time. Ohio State is 307-67 when ranked in the Top 10.
- Ohio State owns a 63-23 all-time record against Atlantic 10 opponents.
- The Buckeyes out-rebounded the Rams 34-21 overall and 14-4 on the offensive glass.
- Ohio State also owned a 22-4 second-chance points advantage.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Deshaun Thomas (25 points); Lenzelle Smith, Jr. (15); and Aaron Craft (13).
- Matta is 223-65 during his career at Ohio State and 325-96 overall as a head coach.
- Against non-conference opponents, Matta has amassed a record of 110-20 during his tenure in Columbus. His teams have never failed to win at least 10 non-Big Ten games over the last eight seasons.
- Matta owns a 4-0 career record against Rhode Island. He won all three meetings vs. the Rams in Atlantic 10 Conference play.
- During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes are 41-5 in November and have a record of 184-21 vs. unranked opponents. Over the last three years, the Buckeyes are 54-1 vs. unranked foes.
- Under Matta, Ohio State is 138-22 when out-rebounding its opponent.
- Recorded two steals against the Golden Eagles. He has 173 for his career, good for No. 3 all-time in Ohio State history. David Lighty (2007-11) is No. 2 with 191. Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State’s career leader with 204.
- Posted a double-double for the game. He led all scorers with 25 points and 10 rebounds.
- Has scored a total of 941 points for his career (78 games).
- Tied a career high with five rebounds (vs. Albany, 11/11/12).
Evan Turner - Hall of Fame Weekend