Post Game Notes: Ohio State vs. Albany
Nov. 11, 2012
No. 4 Ohio State (1-0) 82, Albany (1-1) 60
Nov. 11, 2012
Value City Arena - Columbus, Ohio
- Today's game was the first meeting between the Ohio State and Albany men's basketball programs.
- The Buckeyes recorded a 17-2 run during the final 4:46 of first half play, turning a 23-22 deficit into a 39-25 lead. Ohio State extended the run to 25-4 through the 16:34 mark of the second half.
- Ohio State moves its record to 92-18 in home openers and 88-22 in season openers.
- The game was the first of four in the 2012 Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off. Ohio State will return to action Nov. 17 against Rhode Island in Uncasville, Conn. The Buckeyes will then face Washington or Seton Hall the following day before returning home to close out the tournament vs. Missouri-Kansas City Nov. 23.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 4 Ohio State is 427-116 all-time. Ohio State is 306-67 when ranked in the Top 10.
- Against teams representing the America East Conference, Ohio State has an overall record of 5-1. Wins have come against Albany (1-0), Maryland-Baltimore Country (2-0), New Hampshire (1-0) and Vermont (1-1).
- Ohio State scored 22 points off of 16 Albany turnovers.
- First time the Buckeyes made at least 10 three-pointers (12-20) since a Dec. 28, 2011 contest with Northwestern (10-20).
- Buckeyes held a 34-16 advantage over the Great Danes for points scored in the paint.
- Aaron Craft led the team with 20 points and seven assists.
- Ohio State's bench contributed 21 points for the game.
- Matta is 222-65 during his career at Ohio State and 324-96 overall as a head coach.
- The Buckeyes have won each of the last 10 games to start the season, all under Matta. Matta is 13-0 over his career in the first game of the season.
- Against non-conference opponents, Matta has amassed a record of 109-20 during his tenure in Columbus. His teams have never failed to win at least 10 non-Big Ten games over the last eight seasons.
- Matta is 3-0 against America East competition in his career.
- During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes are 40-5 in November and have a record of 183-21 vs. unranked opponents. Over the last three years, the Buckeyes are 53-1 vs. unranked foes.
- Scored a career-high 20 points for the game. Topped a former high of 19 points scored against Penn State on Jan. 15, 2011.
- Craft set a career high for three-pointers made and attempted in a game with five and seven, respectively.
- Finished with 19 points against Albany. He has scored a total of 916 for his career (77 games).
- Today's start was the first in Thompson's career as a Buckeye - on his birthday, no less!
- Posted a career-high in blocks with four for the game.
- Scored a career-high 10 points vs. the Great Danes.
- Tied a career-high point total with two points recorded in the game; also tallied two on March 10, 2012 against Michigan.