Postgame Notes: No. 11 Ohio State 89, Morgan State 50
Nov. 9, 2013
No. 11 Ohio State 89 (1-0), Morgan State 50 (0-1)
Nov. 9, 2013
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Morgan State 2-0. The Buckeyes defeated the Bears 95-74 Dec. 27, 1994 in Columbus.
- Ohio State is 17-0 against teams from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).
- Five players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Lenzelle Smith Jr. (18 points), Shannon Scott (16) and LaQuinton Ross (14), Sam Thompson (14) and Marc Loving (10). The last time five players scored in double figures for OSU was Dec. 29, 2012 vs. Chicago State.
- The Buckeyes are 93-18 in home openers and 89-12 in season openers all-time.
- Ohio State has won 40-consecutive non-conference home games against unranked opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- Buckeyes held Morgan State scoreless for a 5:53 stretch in the first half, outscoring the Bears 16-0 during that time.
- Ohio State owned a 32-5 advantage in bench points.
- Ohio State had 55 team rebounds, the most since the Buckeyes totaled 60 against North Carolina A&T on Dec. 12, 2010. OSU held a 55-34 rebounding edge.
- The Buckeyes made 11 3-point shots against the Bears (11-24). Ohio State made 10 or more 3-point baskets only four times all of last season.
- As a ranked team (Associated Press), No. 11 Ohio State is 456-124 all-time.
- Matta is 251-73 during his career at Ohio State and 353-104 overall as a head coach.
- Matta is 10-0 in home/season openers at OSU.
- Matta-coached Buckeye teams are 59-10 when making 10 or more 3-pointer shots in a game. OSU made 11 against Morgan State.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 206-22 record as Ohio State head coach. Matta is 134-2 against unranked opponents at home.
- Matta is 44-6 in the month of November as OSU head coach.
- Scored a career-high 16 points. His previous career high was 15 against Kansas (Dec. 12, 2012).
- Scott made a career-high four 3-point baskets.
- Earned his first career double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds against the Bears. His 11 rebounds were a career best.
- Led all scorers with 18 points.
- Had one steal against the Bears. He has 249 for his career, tops in Ohio State history and No. 7 all-time in the Big Ten. He needs 11 steals to pass Purdue’s Brian Cardinal (259) for sixth.
- Had blank six assists against Morgan State. He ranks second on the all-time list at Ohio State with 536. He needs 44 assists to pass Jamar Butler (579) for first.
- Scored in double figures in his first career game for the Buckeyes, totaling 10 points against the Bears.
- Scored a career-high six points.
Buckeyes in the NBA