Postgame Notes: No. 2 seed Ohio State 78, No. 10 seed Iowa State 75
March 24, 2013
No. 2 Ohio State (28-7) 78, No. 10 Iowa State (23-12) 75
2013 NCAA Tournament Third Round
March 24, 2013
University of Dayton Arena – Dayton, Ohio
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Iowa State 6-0. The Buckeyes are 1-1 against members of the Big 12 Conference this season.
- Ohio State is 47-23 all-time in the NCAA tournament. The Buckeyes are 9-3 as a No. 2 seed and 3-2 in tournament games played in UD Arena.
- The game Sunday between the Buckeyes and the Cyclones marked a record 100th NCAA game played in UD Arena.
- Ohio State has advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 in each of the last four seasons, the only Division I program to do so.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Deshaun Thomas (22 points), Aaron Craft (18) and LaQuinton Ross (17).
- The Buckeyes enter the Sweet 16 on a 10-game winning streak.
- Ohio State owned a 24-16 advantage in bench points. The Buckeyes have outscored opposing benches 671- 423 this season.
- OSU scored 18 points off of 16 Iowa State turnovers.
- Ohio State outscored Iowa 6-0 on the fast break.
- Iowa State shot 44.2 percent for the game (23-of-52). The Buckeyes have held opposing teams under 50 percent shooting in 32 of 35 games.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 7 Ohio State is 451-123 all-time. When ranked in the Top 10, the Buckeyes are 321-72.
- With 12 3-point field goals, Iowa State became the first team to total 10 or more against Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament since Florida (11-of-17) in 2007.
- Ohio State is 23-2 overall when leading at the half this season and 14-1 when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- Matta is 249-72 during his career at Ohio State and 350-103 overall as a head coach.
- Matta is 16-6 in the NCAA tournament as head coach of the Buckeyes (22-10 overall). He is 40-11 in postseason tournaments at Ohio State.
- Matta has compiled a record of 52-12 as a head coach in March, the third-best record by percentage (.812) among active coaches.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 204-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta has won 25 or more games in six of his nine seasons at Ohio State and in nine of his 13 seasons as head coach. Teams coached by Matta have never failed to reach the 20-win plateau. The Buckeyes are 28-7 to date in 2012-13 after the victory Sunday.
- Matta is 3-1 as a head coach against Iowa State.
- Led all scorers with 22 points.
- With 22 points, Thomas moved to No. 12 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State (1,587 total points), passing Terence Dials (1,566 points) and Allan Hornyak (1,572 points). He needs 10 points to surpass Robin Freeman (1,597 points).
- Tied for third on Ohio State’s all-time NCAA tournament scoring list with William Buford at 162 points, passing John Havlicek (156).
- Has scored in double figures in all 35 games this season.
- With 18 points Sunday, Craft has scored in double figures 17 games this season.
- Craft’s 3-pointer with .05 remaining in the game was his first 3-point attempt of the game.
- With six assists against the Cyclones, Craft is No. 2 on the all-time at Ohio State with 523. He needs 57 assists to pass Jamar Butler for the No. 1 spot.
- Has totaled five or more assists in 19 games this season, including 13 of the last 19 outings.
- With two steals against Iowa State, Craft remains seventh all-time in Big Ten history with 245. He needs 15 steals to pass Brian Cardinal of Purdue (1997-2000) for sixth.
- Has recorded at least one steal in all but two games this season.
- After not making an appearance in the 2012 NCAA Tournament, Ross has contributed with 24 points and 10 rebounds in two games.
- His 17 points marked his 11th game this season in double figures.
- Tied a career-high with three 3-point field goals.
INSIDE LOOK: Buckeyes Top TTUN