Ohio State vs. Syracuse Postgame Notes (NCAA Elite Eight)
No. 2 Ohio State (31-7) 77, No. 1 Syracuse (34-3) 70
March 24, 2012
TD Garden – Boston, Ma.
• This is the fourth-consecutive season Ohio State has participated in the NCAA tournament.
• With the win, Ohio State advances to its 10th Final Four and first since the 2006-07 season (national championship game).
• It is the third time Ohio State has won at least four games in the NCAA tournament (1960, 2007).
• Ohio State moves to 5-1 all-time vs. Syracuse, including 3-0 at neutral sites.
• The Buckeyes are now 71-49 vs. schools from the Big East Conference.
• The 31 wins this season are the third most in Ohio State history (35 in 2006-07, 34 in 2010-11). It is the third time in Ohio State history the Buckeyes have earned at least 30 wins in a season.
• Against the East Region Bracket, Ohio State is now 123-84.
• Against the tournament field, Ohio State is now 555-486.
• Ohio State is participating in its 24th NCAA tournament.
• Ohio State is 45-22 all-time in NCAA tournament play.
• The Buckeyes are 6-1 this postseason (4-0 in NCAA tournament, 2-1 in Big Ten tournament).
• As a ranked team, Ohio State is 426-116 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 305-66.
• As the Associated Press No. 7 team, Ohio State is 31-9 overall.
• Ohio State is 147-230 vs. Top 25 teams including an 8-6 mark this year.
• The Buckeyes are 62-113 vs. Top 10 teams including a 6-1 record this season.
• When both teams are ranked in the Top 25, the Buckeyes are 67-55.
• This is the 300th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
• The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 29-6 this season.
• Ohio State has three players score at least 500 points in a season for the first time in team history (Sullinger – 634, Thomas – 612, Buford – 547).
• Ohio State went 31-42 from the free-throw line. They now have attempted 831 free throws this season, while only allowing its opponents to attempt 585 from the stripe.
• The 42 attempted free throws is an Ohio State record in the NCAA tournament (41 vs. Memphis, 3/24/07).
• The 31 made free throws are the second most by the Buckeyes in NCAA tournament history (35 vs. Memphis, 3/24/07).
• The last time Ohio State has attempted 40 or more free throws was vs. North Florida, 1/4/11 (40).
• For the season, Ohio State has 557 assists, while its opponents only have 385.
• Thad Matta moves to 2-0 all-time vs. Syracuse.
• Matta moves to 14-5 in the NCAA tournament at Ohio State (20-9 overall). He has taken Ohio State to the NCAA tournament six out of his seven seasons as coach of the Buckeyes.
• Matta advances to his second career Final Four (2007).
• Matta is 35-10 in postseason tournaments at Ohio State (50-5 in his career).
• Matta’s career record moves to 323-95 overall and 221-64 at Ohio State.
• Matta is 108-19 vs. non-conference opponents at Ohio State including a 16-1 mark this season.
• Ohio State is 45-11 in March under Matta. For his career, teams are 67-16 in March.
• Under Matta, Ohio State is 7-5 vs. Top 5 teams, including a 3-0 record this season (No. 3 Duke, No. 5 Michigan State and No. 2 Syracuse).
• When leading at the half Ohio State is 28-1 this season and 186-21 under Matta.
• Ohio State is 31-1 this season and 206-6 under Matta when leading with five minutes to go.
• When limiting its opponent to less than 50 percent shooting from the field, Ohio State is 30-5 this season and 207-51 under Matta.
• When Ohio State scores at least 70 points in a game it is 26-2 this season and 155-13 under Matta.
• When Ohio State has 15 or fewer turnovers it is 25-6 this season and 186-51 under Matta. The Buckeyes had 11 vs. the Orange.
• When the Buckeyes outrebound their opponent, they are 26-5 this season and 137-22 under Matta. Ohio State outrebounded Syracuse, 39-26.
• Sullinger had 19 points for the Buckeyes in only 26 minutes. It is the 33rd time this season and 66th time in his career he has scored in double figures. He has 634 points this season.
• With 19 points, Sullinger added to his 1,000 point club total (1,269). He is one of seven total players in Ohio State history to score at 1,000 or more points in two years.
• Sullinger had seven rebounds to push his career total to 706. That is good for 15th place all-time in Ohio State history.
• Sullinger is 16 points behind Clark Kellogg for 28th place in Ohio State career scoring history.
• With 19 points, Sullinger now has posted back-to back 600 point seasons in his first two years at Ohio State.
• The nine made free throws are tied for second most by a Buckeye in NCAA tournament history.
• Deshaun Thomas finished with 14 points. It is the 45th time in his career he has scored in double figures and 34th time this season. He now has 890 points in his two-year career.
• Thomas has scored in double figures in 34 of the Buckeyes 38 games this season, the most of any Buckeye, including all seven postseason contests.
• In four tournament games, Thomas has scored 87 points, averaging 21.8 per game, the most by any player still in the tournament.
• Thomas had nine rebounds – the fourth time this season he has had at least that many. He has had 23 games with at least five rebounds.
• Craft had five points. He now has 590 in his career.
• Craft had one steal. He has 168 for his career. He has had at least one steal in 36 of 38 games this season.
• Craft is in third place in career steals at Ohio State, 23 behind David Lighty (191) for second.
• Craft’s season total of 95 thefts is the most alltime in a single season (Mike Conley, Jr. – 87 in 2007). Craft is just the second Buckeye to reach 80 steals in a single season.
• Craft had four assists to push his season total to 178 and his career total to 355.
• Craft has had 34 games this season with at least three assists, including eight in a row.
• In seven career NCAA tournament games, Craft has dished out 47 assists. (He set an OSU single game record with 15 vs. George Mason in the 2011 NCAA Third Round in Cleveland. The 10 helpers vs. Gonzaga are the second most in his career and in an Ohio State NCAA tournament game).
• The start was Buford’s 136th donning the Scarlet and Gray, the most by any Buckeye in history.
• Buford has been a part of 116 of Matta’s 221 career wins at Ohio State.
• The game was the 144th that Buford has played in, which is third all-time at Ohio State in games played.
• Buford has been a part of 116 wins at Ohio State, which is second all-time by senior class.
• Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,971/659/360.
• Buford scored 13 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,971, 19 behind Jerry Lucas (1,990) for third place in Ohio State history.
• Buford had nine rebounds to push his career total to 659. He is one of 17 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club. It is the fifth time this season the senior has had at least nine rebounds in a game.
• Buford became the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) Club. After the Syracuse game, Buford has now tallied 738 made field goals and 4,693 minutes played in 144 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
• Buford had two assists in the game for a career total of 360.
• With three made field goals, Buford now has 738 for his career, the fifth most in Ohio State history.
Lenzelle Smith, Jr.
• Smith, Jr., had 18 points, one shy of tying Sullinger for the game high. The 18 points are a tournament high for the sophomore and eighth time this season he has scored in double figures, including four during this postseason.
• Smith, Jr., was 7-9 from the free throw line, both career (5-8 at Minnesota, 2/14/12) and tournament highs.
• Smith, Jr., also was 3-6 from the 3-point line, both of which are tournament highs (1-4 vs. Gonzaga, 3/15/12).
Schedule Set for 2016-17 Buckeyes
Season Tickets On Sale for Winter Sports