March 16, 2013
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
No. 10 Ohio State (25-7) 61, No. 8 Michigan State (25-8) 58
2013 Big Ten Tournament Semifinal
March 16, 2013
United Center – Chicago
Attendance – 21,824
- Ohio State has won six of the last nine games in the Michigan State series. MSU leads the all-time series 61-54. The Buckeyes lead the series 3-2 on neutral courts.
- The win marks the first time Ohio State has defeated Michigan State twice in the same season when the Spartans are ranked in the Top 10 nationally.
- Ohio State now has 25 wins in a season for the 11th time in school history.
- OSU is 22-11 against Michigan State when ranked. When both teams are ranked, the teams are tied 7-7.
- Ohio State is 21-9 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament. The Buckeyes have advanced to six of the last seven tournament finals (five consecutive) and have won 17 of their last 21 games in the tourney overall.
- The Buckeyes are 3-2 against the Spartans in the Big Ten Tournament all-time.
- In the first half, Ohio State had an assist on each of its 11 made field goals.
- Aaron Craft and Shannon Scott combined for 14 assists, six steals and only three turnovers.
- OSU tied a season low with only five turnovers.
- Michigan State shot 40 percent for the game (20-50). The Buckeyes have held opposing teams under 50 percent shooting in 29 of 32 games.
- OSU owned a 15-6 advantage in bench points. The Buckeyes have a 587-379 edge over opposing benches in points scored this season.
- The Buckeyes outscored MSU 11-0 on the fast break.
- Ohio State is 66-118 all-time (4-4 this season) against AP top-10 teams.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 14 Ohio State is 448-123 all-time. When both teams are ranked, Ohio State is 71-64 all-time.
- Ohio State is 754-673 all-time in Big Ten play.
- Matta is 246-72 during his career at Ohio State and 347-103 overall as a head coach.
- In his 13 years as a head coach, Matta is 132-52 vs. current Big Ten opponents, including a record of 128-50 at Ohio State.
- Matta owns the best Big Ten Tournament winning percentage (.783) and the second-most tournament wins (18) of any conference coach in history.
- Matta has compiled a record of 49-12 as a head coach in March, the fourth-best record by percentage (.803) among active coaches.
- Matta has won 25 or more games in six of his nine seasons at Ohio State and in 9 of his 13 seasons as head coach. Matta coached teams have never failed to reach the 20-win plateau. The Buckeyes are 25-7 to date in 2012-13 after the victory Saturday.
- Matta is 10-9 against Michigan State.
- With 16 points, Thomas moved to No. 17 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State (1,524 total points). He needs six points to pass Tony Campbell for 16th.
- Has scored in double figures in all 32 games this season.
- Led all scorers with 20 points. Craft scored 20 points against the Spartans for the second-consecutive game. He has three 20-point games in his career.
- Totaled a season-best nine assists, the most by a Buckeye in a Big Ten Tournament game.
- Craft’s nine assists against Spartans, bringing his career total at Ohio State to 509. He remains third on the all-time list at OSU and needs eight assists blank to pass Kelvin Ransey for second all-time.
- With four steals against MSU, Craft remains seventh all-time in Big Ten history with 237. He needs 23 steals to pass Brian Cardinal of Purdue (1997-2000) for sixth.
- Craft has totaled five or more assists in 17 games this season.
- In 32 games played this season, Craft has recorded a steal in all but one game.