March 15, 2014
Box Score |
No. 8 Michigan (25-7) 72, No. 24 Ohio State (25-9) 69
2014 Big Ten Tournament Semifinal
March 15, 2014
Bankers Life Fieldhouse – Indianapolis
• Ohio State leads the all-time series with the Wolverines 93-75. Ohio State is 4-2 in neutral-site games vs. Michigan.
• As a ranked team, Ohio State is 35-8 overall vs. Michigan. When the Wolverines are ranked, Ohio State is 15-26.
• The teams have met 13 times when both squads carried a Top 25 ranking in the game. Ohio State is 7-6 in those contests.
• OSU owns an overall record of 766-681 against current Big Ten members.
• Ohio State closed the first half on a 15-4 run over 5:45 of play. The Buckeyes took a 61-60 lead in the second half with a 17-4 run over 5:51 of play.
BIG TEN TOURNAMENT
• Ohio State is 24-10 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament. The Buckeyes own the best winning percentage (70.6 percent) among conference teams in the tournament.
• The Buckeyes have won 20 of their last 25 conference tournament games, including 13 of the last 15.
• OSU is 8-1 all-time in Big Ten Tournament semifinal games. The loss breaks a streak of five-consecutive appearances in the BTT final for the Buckeyes.
• OSU is 4-3 as the No. 5 seed at the Big Ten Tournament and 4-1 in the BTT against Michigan. The Buckeyes are 6-8 as the lower seed in the tournament.
• Ohio State is 0-5 this season when the opposing team scores 70 or more points.
• OSU owned a 32-18 advantage in the paint and a 16-7 edge in fastbreak points.
• The Buckeye bench, led by 18 from Shannon Scott outscored the UM bench 21-10.
• As an AP ranked team, No. 24 Ohio State is 477-133 all-time. The Buckeyes have an all-time record of 157-242 (4-4 in 2013-14) vs. ranked opponents in the AP Top 25. In overall games when both teams enter with a Top 25 ranking, Ohio State is 75-68 all time.
• Matta is 275-82 during his career at Ohio State and 376-113 overall as a head coach.
• In 14 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 145-61 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 142-59 while coaching the Buckeyes.
• Matta is 21-6 in Big Ten Tournament play, the most wins and best winning percentage (77.8 percent) of any conference coach in tournament history.
• Matta is 17-6 all-time against Michigan.
• At the helm of the Ohio State program, Matta is 56-15 in the month of March, a 78.9 percent winning percentage, fifth-best among active Division I coaches over the last 10 years. He is 58-16 (78.4 percent) in games played in March and April, the fourth-best win percentage for the two-month period among active coaches over the last 10 years.
• Led all scorers with 19 points.
• Has reached double figures in 16 of his last 18 games.
• Tied career highs in points (18) and 3-point field goals made (four).
• Totaled three steals. With 150 for his career, he is ranked 10th all-time in Ohio State history. He needs four steals to pass Curtis Wilson (153) for ninth.
• Scored nine points vs. Michigan. He has 1,298 points for his career. He needs 16 points to pass Jamar Butler (1,313) for the 28th spot.
• Dished six assists. He is Ohio State’s all-time assists leader with 690 for his career and is tied with Bruce Parkinson of Purdue for fifth all-time in Big Ten history.
• Ranks first all-time in assists at the Big Ten Tournament with 58 assists over the course of 12 games, passing Mateen Cleaves of Michigan State (55). Ranks second in steals at the tournament with 20.
• Played in his 100th game for the Scarlet and Gray.