Ohio State vs. Purdue Postgame Notes (in Indianapolis)
March 10, 2012
No. 7 Ohio State 88 (26-6, 13-5) Purdue 71 (21-12, 10-8)
March 9, 2012
Bankers Life Fieldhouse – Indianapolis, Ind.
- Ohio State has now won seven consecutive games in the Big Ten Tournament, dating back to the 2010 tournament. The win streak ties Iowa (2000-01) for the longest win streak in the tournament.
- It is the eighth time Ohio State has won at least one game in the Big Ten Tournament.
- The 88 points scored vs. Purdue is the second most points scored in regulation for Ohio State during the Big Ten Tournament (90 vs. Minnesota, in 2010 championship).
- The Buckeyes are now 18-8 overall in the tournament, having won 14 of its last 17 games.
- This is the first season the Buckeyes have been the No. 3 seed in the tournament.
- The Buckeyes are 3-1 vs. teams seeded No. 6 in the tournament.
- Ohio State has not faced Purdue in the Big Ten Tournament since 2009, where the third-seed Boilermakers beat the No. 5-seed Buckeyes 65-61 in the championship. Ohio State (No. 1 seed) won 63-52 in the 2007 tournament.
- The Buckeyes move to 78-83 all-time vs. Purdue, including 2-0 this season (87-84, 2/7/12)
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 23-4 vs. the Boilermakers.
- Ohio State is 2-1 vs. Purdue in neutral site meetings, all in the Big Ten Tournament.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State has won 10 of the last 12 meetings dating back to 2/8/92.
- Ohio State moves to 738-667 overall in the Big Ten, including a 69-20 record at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 421-115 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 300-65.
- As the Associated Press No. 7 team, Ohio State is 26-8 overall.
- Ohio State moves to 20-1 this season vs. unranked opponents. The Buckeyes are 179-21 under Matta vs. unranked teams.
- The game vs. Purdue was the first time all season that all five starters scored in double figures. The last time it happened was 2/6/11 vs. Minnesota.
- Ohio State had two players score more than 20 points vs. Purdue (Sullinger and Thomas). It is the first time since 2/14/12 (Sullinger and Buford).
- Ohio State has had a player record a double-double in 840 games. The Buckeyes are 579-261 in those contests. Jared Sullinger (30 points, 12 rebounds) had his 32nd career double-double in tonight’s game vs. Purdue.
- This is the 294th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
- Ohio State is 133-54 in the Big Ten when scoring between 80 and 90 points and 247-62 when scoring more than 80 points.
- The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 24-5 this season.
- Ohio State went 10-14 from the free-throw line. They now have attempted 687 free throws this season, while only allowing its opponents to attempt 475 from the stripe. The margin is 395-289 in the Big Ten.
- The Buckeyes have now amassed 251 assists in the Big Ten while only allowing 208 from their opponents. For the season, Ohio State has 489 assists, while its opponents only have 325.
- 22 of Ohio State’s 27 wins have been by double-figures.
- Ohio State outscored Purdue 48-18 in the paint.
- The Buckeyes had a 13 to 5 advantage on second chance points.
- Ohio State started the game on a 9-0 run. The run ended at the 16:27 mark in the first half.
- Ohio State went on a 14-0 run from 6:43-3:32 in the second half. The score at the start of the run was 65-61 Ohio State. William Buford and Deshaun Thomas both scored six points during the run.
- Matta improves to 15-4 in league tournament play, having won seven consecutive games.
- Matta moves to 13-6 all-time vs. Purdue.
- Matta’s career record moves to 318-94 overall and 216-63 at Ohio State.
- With the win, Matta moves to 116-46 in the Big Ten during his 12-year coaching career.
- Matta has a record of 112-42 vs. the Big Ten (regular season and conference tournament) since he became Ohio State’s head coach in the 2004-05 season.
- Matta’s .775 winning percentage at Ohio State is the best among Big Ten coaches since Matta became the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2004.
- Ohio State is 40-10 in March under Coach Matta.
- When scoring more than 70 points in a game, the Buckeyes improve to 22-2 this year and 150-13 under Matta. Ohio State scored 88 points vs. Purdue.
- When leading at the half, Ohio State is 23-1 this season and 181-21 under Matta.
- The Buckeyes are 26-1 this year and 201-6 under Matta when leading with five minutes to go.
- When outrebounding its opponent Ohio State is 23-4 this season and 134-21 under Matta (Ohio State outrebounded Purdue, 39-28).
- When shooting 50 percent or better from the field, Ohio State is 13-0 this season and 107-7 under Matta.
- When holding its opponent to under 50 percent from the field, the Buckeyes are 25-4 this season and 202-50 under Matta.
- When Ohio State shoots a better field goal percentage than its opponent, it is 25-2 this season and 192-20 under Matta.
- When Ohio State has fewer than 15 turnovers in a game, its 21-5 this season and 182-50 under Matta. The Buckeyes had seven turnovers vs. the Boilermakers.
- The start was Buford’s 130th donning the Scarlet and Gray, the most by any Buckeye in history.
- Buford has been a part of 111 of Coach Matta’s 216 career wins at Ohio State.
- The game is the 138th that Buford has played in, which is fifth all-time at Ohio State in games played.
- Buford has been a part of 111 wins at Ohio State, which is second all-time by senior class.
- Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,902/629/352.
- Buford scored 11 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,902, 32 behind Kelvin Ransey (1,934) for fourth place in Ohio State scoring history.
- It is the 25th time this season Buford has scored at least 20 points.
- Buford has now scored 1,044 points in the Big Ten. He is currently the second among active scorers in Big Ten regular season games.
- Buford had six rebounds to push his career total to 629. He is one of 17 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
- Buford became the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) Club. After the Purdue game, Buford has now tallied 717 made field goals and 4,476 minutes played in 138 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
- Buford had five assists in the game for a career total of 352.
- With four made field goals, Buford now has 717 for his career, the fifth most in Ohio State history.
- Sullinger had a game high and a season high 30 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 27th time this season and 60th time in his career he has scored in double figures (28 at Iowa, 1/7/12).
- With 30 points, Sullinger added to his 1,000 point club total (1,155). He is one of seven total players in Ohio State history to score at 1,000 or more points in two years.
- It is the 10th time this season Sullinger has scored 20 or more points.
- The 30 points Sullinger scored are the most he’s ever scored vs. a Big Ten team and the third time he has scored at least 30 points in his career.
- Sullinger had 12 rebounds to push his career total to 658. That is good for 15th place all-time in Ohio State history.
- With 30 points and 12 rebounds, Sullinger earned his 32nd career double-double and 14th this season. It is also the 19th time against a Big Ten opponent.
- Sullinger’s double-double is the fourth of his career in the Big Ten Tournament, tying Reggie Evans and Evan Turner for most all-time.
- Ohio State is 29-3 in games Sullinger scores a double-double.
- Sullinger passed Richard Schnittker (1,129), Jamaal Brown (1,139) and Frank Howard (1,147) to move into 34th place on the Ohio State career scoring list.
- Sullinger’s 12 field-goals are tied with Michigan’s DeShawn Sims (3/12/09) and Ohio State’s Evan Turner (3/14/10) for second most in a Big Ten Tournament game.
- Deshaun Thomas finished with 22 points. It is the 39th time in his career he has scored in double figures and 28th time this season. He now has 749 points in his two-year career.
- Thomas has scored in double figures in 28 of the Buckeyes 32 games this season.
- Thomas also chipped in seven rebounds.
- Craft had 10 points. It is the 15th time he has scored in double figures this season. He has 533 points in his career.
- Craft had seven assists to push his season total to 157 and his career total to 324.It ties the most assists against a Big Ten team this season (at Illinois, 1/10/12; Indiana, 1/15/12).
- Craft had one steal. He has 149 for his career. He has had at least one steal in 30 of 32 games this season.
- Craft’s two blocks tied a career high (two times, last at Northwestern, 2/29/12).
Evan Turner - Hall of Fame Weekend
Schedule Set for 2016-17 Buckeyes