Feb. 28, 2013
No. 16 Ohio State (21-7, 11-5 Big Ten) 63, Northwestern (13-16, 4-12 Big Ten) 53
Feb. 28, 2013
Welsh-Ryan Arena – Evanston, Ill.
Attendance – 7,306
• Overall, Ohio State is 113-45 vs. Northwestern and has won 19 of the last 20 meetings, including the last eight.
• The Buckeyes are 46-31 in Evanston and have won eight of the last nine.
• Ranked Ohio State teams (AP) are 36-2 vs. the Wildcats with wins in 25 of the last 26 games.
• Ohio State’s 2013 home finale with Illinois, scheduled for March 10, will tip at 12:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on ESPN.
• Trailing 49-48 with 4:13 to play, the Buckeyes closed the game on a 15-4 run.
• Northwestern shot 41.9 percent from the field (18-43). The Buckeyes have held opposing teams under 50 percent shooting in 25 of 28 games.
• OSU scored 18 points off of 15 Northwestern turnovers. The Buckeyes totaled 10 steals as a team.
• The Buckeyes outscored the Wildcats 24-14 in the paint.
• The team totaled six blocks. Ohio State has totaled five or more team blocks in a game 11 times this season.
• Ohio State has held opponents to under 25 points in a half a total of 19 times this season. The Buckeyes limited Northwestern to 22 points in the first half.
• As a ranked team (AP), No. 18 Ohio State is 447-123 all-time.
• Ohio State is 750-673 all-time in Big Ten play.
• Matta is 242-72 during his career at Ohio State and 343-103 overall as a head coach.
• In his 13 years as a head coach, Matta is 128-52 vs. current Big Ten opponents, including a record of 124-50 at Ohio State.
• Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 200-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
• Matta has never failed to reach the 20-win plateau in 13 years as a head coach. The Buckeyes are 21-7 to date in 2012-13 after the victory Thursday.
• Matta holds a 15-1 record vs. the Wildcats.
Lenzelle Smith Jr.
• Led all scorers with a season-high 24 points.
• Shot 6 of 11 from 3-point range, career highs in both makes and attempts.
• Tied a career best with three steals.
• With 19 points, Thomas moved to No. 21 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State (1,452 total points). He needs seven points to pass David Lighty for 20th.
• Has scored in double figures in all 28 games this season.
• With one steal against Northwestern, Craft remains eighth all-time in Big Ten history with 224. He needs eight steals to pass Dee Brown (2003-06) of Illinois for seventh.
• Craft contributed five assists vs. the Wildcats. He remains third on the all-time list at Ohio State with 482. Craft needs 35 assists to pass Kelvin Ransey for second all-time.
• Craft has totaled five or more assists in 14 games this season.
• In 28 games played this season, Craft has recorded a steal in all but one game.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights