Feb. 27, 2014
Box Score |
Penn State (14-14, 5-10) 65, No. 22 Ohio State (22-7, 9-7) 63
Feb. 27, 2014
Bryce Jordan Center - University Park, Penn.
- Ohio State holds a 29-14 advantage in the Penn State series.
- The Buckeyes are 11-8 overall vs. Penn State in State College.
- The game marks the first time Ohio State has lost twice in the regular season to a Big Ten opponent since 2008-09 (Michigan State, Illinois).
- Previously, Ohio State had not fallen to Penn State twice in the same season since the 1997-98 campaign - at PSU (Feb. 16, 1998) and vs. PSU (Feb. 28, 1998).
- OSU owns an overall record of 763-679 against current Big Ten members.
- Two players scored in double figures for the Buckeyes - LaQuinton Ross (19 points) and Aaron Craft (10).
- Ohio State is 475-131 all-time as a ranked team. The Buckeyes hold a record of 16-4 vs. the Nittany Lions when ranked.
- The Buckeyes have held opponents to under 50 percent shooting 27 times this season (Penn State: 44.2 percent, 19-43).
- Penn State shot 38.5 percent from 3-point range (5-13). Through 28 games, Ohio State ranks second nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense (27 percent).
- Ohio State owned a 28-22 advantage in points scored from the paint.
- OSU totaled 15 points off of 16 turnovers committed by the Nittany Lions.
- Matta is 272-80 during his career at Ohio State and 373-111 overall as a head coach.
- In 14 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 142-59 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 139-57 while coaching the Buckeyes.
- Matta is tied for the No. 16 spot all-time in Big Ten regular season wins with 120. Tom Davis of Iowa ranks 15th with 125.
- Matta is 17-2 against Penn State. He recorded his first road loss against the Nittany Lions this evening (7-1).
- At the helm of the Ohio State program, Matta is 50-24 in the month of February.
- Scored 10 points vs. Penn State, passing Ron Stokes (1,240) for 31st on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State. Craft has 1,248 points for his career. He needs 43 to pass former teammate Jared Sullinger (1,282) for 30th.
- Dished four assists. He is Ohio State's all-time assist leader with 662 for his career. He needs 13 assists to pass Dee Brown of Illinois (674) for sixth on the all-time Big Ten list.
- With 19 points vs. the Nittany Lions, Ross passed the 400-point mark for the season (418). He has 743 for his collegiate career, recording 307 points as a sophomore.
- Ross has reached double figures in 11 of last 13 matchups.
- Secured a career-best 11 made free throws on 13 attempts, also a career high.
- Played in his 50th Big Ten regular season game for the Scarlet and Gray.
- Recorded five assists. Now has 304 career assists, passing 300 against Penn State.
- Has picked up two of more steals on 18 occasions this season.
- Earned a career-high nine points.
- Picked up four blocks, tying a career high.