Ohio State vs. Illinois Postgame Notes
Feb. 21, 2012
No. 8 Ohio State 83 (23-5, 11-4), Illinois 67 (16-12, 5-10)
Feb. 21, 2012
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- Ohio State has now won 40 of its previous 41 homes games, dating back to Feb. 27, 2010. They are 18-1 this season
- The Buckeyes move to 65-100 all-time vs. Illinois and 40-40 in Columbus.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 22-10 vs. the Illini.
- The Buckeyes have won 12 of the last 13 meetings vs. Illinois when Ohio State is ranked, dating back to 1/19/91.
- The Buckeyes have won 11 of the last 14 games against the Illini.
- Against unranked opponents at home under Matta, Ohio State is 119-2 (112-2 at Value City Arena). They are 177-21 vs. unranked opponents overall since the 2004-05 season.
- Ohio State moves to 735-666 overall in the Big Ten, including a 69-19 record at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 418-113 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 297-64.
- As the Associated Press No. 8 team, Ohio State is 8-3 overall.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State. So far this season, seven Buckeyes have scored in doubles figures a total of 89 times.
- In their last 83 games, the Buckeyes are 74-9.
- This is the 290th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
- The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 21-4 this season.
- The Buckeyes have now amassed 190 assists in the Big Ten while only allowing 142 from their opponents. For the season, Ohio State has 426 assists, while its opponents only have 259.
- Ohio State went 12-18from the free-throw line. They now have attempted 612 free throws this season, while only allowing its opponents to attempt 415 from the stripe. The margin is 317-229 in the Big Ten.
- The loss to Ohio State was Illinois’ sixth in a row.
- The Buckeyes began the game on a 19-4 run.
- Ohio State shot a season high 70.8 percent from the field in the first half (69.7 percent vs. VMI, 11/23/11).
- The Buckeyes finished 65.3 percent from the field (67.6 percent is season high vs. VMI, 11/23/12).
- Matta’s career record moves to 315-93 overall and 213-62 at Ohio State.
- With the win, Matta moves to 113-45 in the Big Ten during his career.
- Matta has a record of 109-43 vs. the Big Ten since he became Ohio State’s head coach in the 2004-05 season.
- Matta improves his record in Columbus to 137-11. Over the last three seasons, that mark improves to 55-2.
- Matta now has an 11-4 record vs. Illinois, all at Ohio State.
- Matta is 6-1 at home vs. Illinois.
- Matta’s .777 winning percentage at Ohio State is the best among Big Ten coaches since Matta became the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2004.
- Matta’s .714 conference winning percentage is best of any Big Ten coach in history, edging Bo Ryan (.712) and Bob Knight (.700)
- Ohio State is 38-18 in February under Coach Matta.
- The Scarlet and Gray are 131-20 when grabbing more rebounds than the opponent, including 20-3 this season (OSU outrebounded Illinois, 33-28).
- Ohio State is 21-1 this season and 179-21 under Matta when leading at the half.
- When leading with five minutes remaining, the Buckeyes are 23-0 this season and 198-5 under Matta.
- When Ohio State shoots better than 50 percent from the field, it is 11-0 this season and 105-7 under Matta.
- When shooting a better percentage than its opponent, the Buckeyes are 23-1 this season and 190-19 under Matta.
- Ohio State is 22-3 this season and 199-49 when holding their opponents to under 50 percent shooting.
- When scoring more than 70 points in a game, the Buckeyes improve to 19-2 this year and 147-13 under Matta. Ohio State scored 83 points vs. Illinois.
- When limiting its opponent to under 70 points, the Scarlet and Gray are 20-2 this season and 191-25 under Matta.
- The start was Buford’s 126th donning the Scarlet and Gray, passing David Lighty (125) and tying Alex Davis and Jamar Butler for most games started as a Buckeye.
- The game is the 134th that Buford has played in, passing Jerry Francis for fifth all-time at Ohio State.
- Buford has been a part of 108 wins at Ohio State, which is sixth all-time.
- Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,846/605/341.
- Buford scored 17 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,846, 33 behind Michael Redd (1,879) for fifth place in Ohio State scoring history.
- Buford has now scored 986 points in the Big Ten. He is currently the second highest active scorer in the Big Ten.
- Buford has scored in double figures 22 times this season and 100 times in his career, including 62 games with at least 15 points.
- Buford had two rebounds to push his career total to 605. He is one of 17 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
- Buford became the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) Club. After the Illinois game, Buford has now tallied 698 made field goals and 4,337 minutes played in 134 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
- Buford had one assist in the game for a career total of 341.
- With seven made field goals, Buford now has 698 for his career, one behind Michael Redd (699) for fifth all-time in Ohio State history.
- With nine points, Sullinger added to his 1,000 point club total (1,081). He is one of seven total players in Ohio State history to score at 1,000 or more points in two years.
- Sullinger had six rebounds to push his career total to 612.
- Deshaun Thomas finished with a game high 19 points. It is the 35th time in his career he has scored in double figures and 24th time this season.
- Thomas has scored in double figures in 24 of the Buckeyes 28 games this season.
- Thomas also chipped in five rebounds for the Buckeyes.
- Craft had 11 points. It is the 12th time this season he has scored in double figures and sixth time vs. a Big Ten opponent. Craft had 12 points at Illinois on 1/10/12.
- Craft had five assists to push his season total to 129 and his career total to 306.
- Craft had three steals. He has 137 for his career. He has had at least one steal in 26 of 28 games this season. It is the 12th time he has had at least three in a game this season.
- Craft also chipped in five rebounds.
Buckeyes’ 2017-18 Schedule Set
Summer Update - C.J. Jackson
Musa Jallow Added to Roster for 2017-18