Postgame Notes: No. 18 Ohio State vs. Minnesota
Feb. 20, 2013
No. 18 Ohio State (19-7, 9-5 Big Ten) 71, Minnesota (18-9, 6-8 Big Ten) 45
Feb. 20, 2013
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Attendance – 16,378
- The matchup Wednesday was the 135th meeting between the Ohio State and Minnesota basketball programs.
- Ohio State has won the last six games in the Minnesota series and seven of the last eight.
- The Buckeyes own a 49-18 record in Columbus and the overall series lead with a 80-55 record vs. the Golden Gophers. Minnesota last won in Value City Arena in 2005, a 60-56 overtime victory.
- When ranked nationally, Ohio State is 26-3 vs. Minnesota.
- Ohio State alum Jerry Lucas was honored during the first half of play for his selection among the Top 75 players in NCAA Tournament history. Lucas, the Most Outstanding Player in the 1960 and 1961 tournaments, was presented a trophy as a form of recognition for his accomplishment.
- The Ohio State game at Northwestern Feb. 28 will be televised by ESPN2. The matchup is scheduled for a 7 p.m. tip-off.
- The Buckeyes had three players reach double-figures in scoring: Deshaun Thomas (19 points), Shannon Scott (11) and LaQuinton Ross (10 points).
- Ohio State guards Aaron Craft and Shannon Scott combined for nine assists and six steals in the game.
- Three players recorded three or more steals for the Buckeyes: Craft, Scott and Ravenel. The last time three Ohio State players posted three or more steals in a game was Nov. 21, 2011 vs. North Florida (Craft, Lenzelle Smith, Jr. and Jared Sullinger).
- OSU’s defense held Minnesota without a field goal for 10:39 of play in the second half.
- Ohio State went on 16-0 run in the second half to take command of the game. The run cover 7:16 of play.
- It was the first game this season Ohio State held an opponent to fewer than 30 percent shooting (29.2 percent, 14-48). The Buckeyes have held opposing teams under 40 percent in 15 matchups this season and under 50 percent in 23 of 26 games.
- The Buckeyes held Minnesota to a season-low in field goal percentage (29.2 percent) and forced a season-high in turnovers (24).
- Ohio State converted 26 points off of 24 Minnesota turnovers. In points scored on the fast break, the Buckeyes held a 20-2 advantage.
- The OSU bench outscored the Golden Gophers 31-25. This season the Buckeyes hold a 503-335 overall advantage in points contributed from their bench.
- Ohio State has held opponents to under 25 points in a half a total of 18 times this season. The Buckeyes limited Minnesota to 23 points in the first half and 22 points in the second.
- The Buckeyes shot 88.9 percent (16-18) from the free-throw line, a season high.
- Ohio State held a 26-18 advantage in points scored in the paint.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 13 Ohio State is 445-123 all-time.
- Ohio State is 748-673 all-time in Big Ten play.
- Matta is 240-72 during his career at Ohio State and 341-103 overall as a head coach.
- In his 13 years as a head coach, Matta is 126-52 vs. current Big Ten opponents, including a record of 122-50 at Ohio State.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 199-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Ohio State owns a 151-14 home record during the Matta era. The Buckeyes are 69-5 in Columbus over the past four seasons.
- The Buckeyes are 65-11 vs. Big Ten opponents at Value City Arena in nine seasons under Matta.
- Matta holds a 10-5 record vs. the Golden Gophers.
- Led all scorers with 19 points.
- Moved to No. 23 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State (1,419 total points). He needs 17 points to pass Paul Ebert for 22nd all-time.
- Has scored in double figures in all 26 games this season.
- With three steals against Minnesota, Craft remains eighth all-time in Big Ten history. He needs 10 steals to pass Dee Brown (2003-06) of Illinois for seventh.
- Craft contributed four assists vs. the Golden Gophers. He remains fourth on the all-time list at Ohio State with 470 for his career. He needs four assists to pass Curtis Wilson for third.
- In 26 games played this season, Craft has recorded a steal in all but one game. He has earned multiple steals in 13 games thus far.
- Earned a career-high three steals
- Tied a career-high with three blocks.
No. 7 Virginia Edges Ohio State, 63-61
Buckeyes in the NBA