Ohio State at Minnesota Postgame Notes
Feb. 14, 2012
No. 6 Ohio State 78 (22-4, 10-3), Minnesota 68 (17-9, 5-8)
Feb. 14, 2012
Williams Arena – Minneapolis, Minn.
- The Buckeyes move to 79-55 all-time vs. Minnesota and 30-37 in Minneapolis.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 25-3 vs. the Gophers, including 12-1 in their last 13.
- The win was the fifth consecutive for Ohio State over. Minnesota.
- The Buckeyes are 53-15 vs. Minnesota when scoring more than 70 points. They are 25-13 when scoring between 70-79 points.
- Ohio State moves to 734-665 overall in the Big Ten, including a 68-19 record at Value City Arena.
- They are 43-8 in their last 51 Big Ten matchups, dating back to 3/8/09.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 417-112 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 296-63.
- Ohio State has won 14 of its last 15 vs. unranked opponents on the road.
- As the Associated Press No. 6 team, Ohio State is 20-6 overall.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State. So far this season, seven Buckeyes have scored in doubles figures a total of 84 times.
- In their last 81 games, the Buckeyes are 73-8.
- This is the 288th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
- The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 20-3 this season.
- The Buckeyes have now amassed 163 assists in the Big Ten while only allowing 123 from their opponents. For the season, Ohio State has 401 assists, while its opponents only have 240. Ohio State went 22-28 from the free-throw line. They now have attempted 579 free throws this season, while only allowing its opponents to attempt 384 from the stripe. The margin is 284-198 in the Big Ten.
- The Buckeyes went on a 20-0 run to extend their lead to 32-12 lasting until the 6:51 mark in the first half, for six Minnesota turnovers during that span.
- Matta’s career record moves to 314-92 overall and 212-61 at Ohio State.
- With the win, Matta moves to 112-44 in the Big Ten during his career.
- Matta now has a 9-5 record record vs. Minnesota, all at Ohio State.
- Matta is 3-4 at Minnesota.
- Matta’s .777 winning percentage at Ohio State is the best among Big Ten coaches since Matta became the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2004.
- Matta’s .714 conference winning percentage is best of any Big Ten coach in history, edging Bo Ryan (.713) and Bob Knight (.700)
- Ohio State is 37-17 in February under Coach Matta.
- The Scarlet and Gray are 130-19 when grabbing more rebounds than the opponent, including 19-2 this season (OSU outrebounded Minnesota, 37-32).
- The Buckeyes are 178-19 overall and 20-1 this season when leading at the half.
- Ohio State is 197-5 under Matta when leading with five minutes to play, including 22-0 this year.
- Ohio State is 18-2 this season and 146-13 when scoring 70 or more points in a game under Matta. The Buckeyes had 78 points in the win vs. Minnesota.
- The Buckeyes are 19-3 this season and 180-48 under Matta when limiting themselves to 15 or fewer turnovers. Ohio State had nine turnovers vs. the Gophers.
- The Buckeyes were plus-14 in second chance points (20-6).
- The start was Buford’s 124th donning the Scarlet and Gray, passing Ken Johnson (123) for fourth place in career games started at Ohio State. He is one start away from tying David Lighty (125) for third all-time.
- Buford has been a part of 107 wins at Ohio State, which is sixth all-time.
- Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,823/597/338.
- Buford scored a game high 24 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,823, 56 behind Michael Redd (1,879) for fifth place in Ohio State scoring history.
- Buford has now scored 963 points in the Big Ten. He is currently the second highest active scorer in the Big Ten.
- Buford had eight rebounds to push his career total to 597. He is one of 24 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
- Buford became the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) Club. After the Minnesota game, Buford has now tallied 688 made field goals and 4,271 minutes played in 132 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
- Buford had five assists in the game for a career total of 338.
- The 10 made field goals tied a career high (6X, last vs. Purdue, 2/7/12).
- Buford has scored in double figures 21 times this season and 99 times in his career, including 61 games with at least 15 points.
- Buford has scored 20 or more points in eight games this season and 21 times in his career.
- With 10 made field goals, Buford now has 688 for his career, passing Jim Jackson (686) for sixth all-time in Ohio State history. He is 11 behind Michael Redd (699) for fifth.
- Buford scored the first seven points for Ohio State on 3-3 shooting in the first 1:48 of the game (Buford only had four points in his previous game connecting only on two field goals vs. Michigan State).
- Sullinger had 23 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 23rd time this season and 57th time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- With 23 points, Sullinger added to 1,000 point club total (1,058). He is one of seven total players in Ohio State history to score at 1,000 or more points in two years.
- Sullinger had eight rebounds, pushing his career total to 598.
- Deshaun Thomas finished with 12 points. It is the 33rd time in his career he has scored in double figures and 22nd time this season.
- Thomas has scored in double figures in 22 of the Buckeyes 26 games this season.
- Craft had five assists to push his season total to 121 and his career total to 298.
- Craft is now two assists away from reaching 300 for his career.
- Craft had a season high six steals. He has 132 for his career. He has had at least one steal in 24 of 26 games this season. It is the 11th time he has had at least three in a game this season.
- It is the fourth time in his career he has had at least six steals vs. a Big Ten opponent and first time this season (7 vs. Iowa, 1/19/11; 6 at Purdue, 2/20/11 and vs. Indiana, 2/27/11).
- Smith, Jr. posted seven rebounds vs. the Gophers. It was the second consecutive game he has had seven. It is the eighth time this season he has had seven or more and fourth vs. a Big Ten opponent.
🎥 B1G Media Day in NYC 🏀
2017 CBS Sports Classic Ticket Presale
Mike Conley, Jr. - Hall of Fame Weekend