Postgame Notes: Ohio State (18-5, 5-5) 76, No. 17 Iowa (17-6, 6-4) 69
Feb. 4, 2014
Ohio State (18-5, 5-5) 76, No. 17 Iowa (17-6, 6-4) 69
Feb. 4, 2014
Iowa City, Iowa – Carver-Hawkeye Arena
- Iowa leads the all-time series with Ohio State 74-72. The Buckeyes are 24-47 in Iowa City vs. Hawkeyes.
- The last time an unranked (AP) Ohio State team defeated a ranked Iowa squad was Jan. 9, 1993, when the Buckeyes took down No. 22 Iowa 92-81 in Columbus.
- The last time unranked OSU won vs. ranked Iowa on the road was Jan. 6, 1990. Ohio State defeated No. 20 Iowa, 79-73.
- The Buckeyes have won five-consecutive road matchups in the series with Iowa.
- Ohio State is 12-18 vs. ranked Iowa teams.
- The Buckeyes own an overall record of 760-677 against current Big Ten members.
- Leading 49-47 with 9:31 remaining in the game, Ohio State gained separation with a 9-2 run to gain a 58-49 advantage with 6:18 to play.
- Five players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Aaron Craft (17 points), LaQuinton Ross (13), Lenzelle Smith Jr. (12), Amir Williams (12) and Shannon Scott (11).
- Ohio State has won eight of its last 10 games against ranked opponents.
- OSU is 154-238 all-time vs. ranked opponents (AP).
- The Buckeyes held Iowa to a season-low in 3-point field goal percentage (3-20, 15 percent). Through 22 games, Ohio State ranks No. 3 nationally in 3-point field goal defense (25.9 percent).
- OSU is undefeated, 7-0, when shooting more than 50 percent from the field (25-49, 51 percent). It was the first time the Buckeyes have hit the mark since against Nebraska (Jan. 4).
- The Buckeyes have held opponents to under 50 percent shooting 21 times this season (Iowa: 27-60, 45 percent).
- Iowa recorded season lows in free throws made and attempted (12-19).
- Ohio State won for the third time this season after trailing at the half. Iowa is 14-5 when leading at the half.
- The Buckeyes scored 12 points off 13 Iowa turnovers, while adding eight points on the fast break.
- Matta is 268-78 during his career at Ohio State and 369-109 overall as a head coach.
- In 14 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 138-57 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 135-55 while coaching the Buckeyes.
- Matta is 12-5 against Iowa as OSU head coach.
- At the helm of the Ohio State program, Matta is 46-22 in the month of February.
- The game vs. Iowa marked Craft’s 100th career start for the Scarlet and Gray.
- With his performance, Craft became the first Big Ten player with 17 points, six assists and six steals since Charlie Bell of Michigan State in 2001.
- Led all scorers with 17 points. He passed Lawrence Funderburke (1,179) for 35th all-time at Ohio State with 1,189 career points. He needs 23 points to pass Luke Witte (1,211) for 34th all-time.
- Dished six assists. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 642 for his career. Craft ranks eighth all-time in Big Ten history. He needs four assists to pass Scott Skiles (645) of Michigan State for seventh.
- Collected six steals. He ranks second all-time in Big Ten history with 307. He needs 21 steals to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first. Over the course of his career, Craft has recorded six or more steals in eight games.
- With two 3-pointers vs. Iowa, Craft has made at least one 3-pointer in the last four games, as well as six of the last seven.
- Has scored in double figures in seven-consecutive games, as well as 16 of his last 18 games.
- Earned a season-high four assists.
- Scored 11 points, passing 400 career points as a Buckeye (402).
- Recorded two steals. He has earned at least one theft in 14 games this season.
- With 12 points, Smith Jr. reached the 900-career point mark as a Buckeye.
- Scored the first eight points of the second half for Ohio State.
- Has scored in double figures on 12 occasions this season.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights