Postgame Notes: No. 11 Ohio State 63, Nebraska 56
Feb. 2, 2013
No. 11 Ohio State (17-4, 7-2 Big Ten) 63, Nebraska (16-5, 6-3) 56
Feb. 2, 2013
Devaney Center – Lincoln, Neb.
Attendance – 11,478
- The Buckeyes have won the last seven meetings against the Cornhuskers.
- Overall, Ohio State holds an 8-2 record in the series as well as a 3-1 advantage in Lincoln.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 5-0 in the Nebraska series.
- Three players reached double figures for the Buckeyes: Lenzelle Smith, Jr. (21 points), Deshaun Thomas (15) and Aaron Craft (14).
- Nebraska shot 37.1 percent from the field (23-62). The Buckeyes have held opponents to under 40 percent shooting in 13 of 19 games this season and under 50 percent in 20 of 21 games.
- After limiting Wisconsin to zero free throw attempts last game, Ohio State held Nebraska to zero free throw attempts in the first half. Buckeye opponents went a total of 62 minutes without a free throw attempt over a span of two games.
- Trailing by one with 5:41 remaining in the first half, the Buckeyes went on an 14-4 run to end the half with a 32-23 lead.
- From the line, Ohio State connected on 82.1 percent of its free throws (23-28). It is the fourth time this season the Buckeyes have shot at least 80 percent from the line. The 23 made free throws were a season best.
- The Buckeyes had six blocked shots vs. the Huskers. OSU has totaled five or more blocks in eight match-ups this season.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 11 Ohio State is 443-120 all-time.
- Ohio State is 746-670 all-time in Big Ten play.
- Matta is 238-69 during his career at Ohio State and 339-100 overall as a head coach.
- In his 13 years as a head coach, Matta is 124-49 vs. current Big Ten opponents, including a record of 120-47 at Ohio State.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 197-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta holds a 4-0 record vs. the Cornhuskers.
- With 15 points in the game, Thomas moved to No. 27 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State (1,317 total points). He needs 18 points to pass Jim Cleamons for 26th all-time.
- Has scored in double figures in all 20 games this season.
- Craft recorded six assists vs. the Huskers. He remains fourth on the all-time list at Ohio with 456 for his career. He needs 19 assists to pass Curtis Wilson for third.
- Has recorded at least one steal in 16-consecutive games.
- With two blocks, Craft tied a career high.
- Passed 200-made free throws for his career after connecting on six-of-seven vs. Nebraska (205).
- Connected on seven free throws in eight attempts, both career highs.
- Tied a career-high two steals.
- Led all scorers with a season-high 21 points.
- Passed the career 500-point mark vs. Nebraska. Has now totaled 508 points as a Buckeye.
- Connected on all six of his field goal attempts, including three shots from 3-point range.
INSIDE LOOK: Buckeyes Top TTUN