Postgame Notes: Penn State 71, No. 24 Ohio State 70 (OT)
Jan. 29, 2014
Penn State (11-10, 2-6) 71, No. 24 Ohio State (16-5, 3-5) 70 (OT)
Jan. 29, 2014
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- Ohio State leads the all-time series with Penn State 29-13. The Buckeyes are 15-4 in Columbus vs. the Nittany Lions, 9-1 at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, No. 24 Ohio State is 16-3 vs. Penn State.
- The Buckeyes own an overall record of 758-677 against current Big Ten members.
- Ohio State is 40-52 all-time in overtime games, including 20-20 all-time in overtime contests at home. The Buckeyes last home OT game was Feb. 3, 2009, an 82-70 win against No. 12 Purdue. The last home OT loss for the Buckeyes was Jan. 15, 2006, a 62-59 double OT loss to No. 14 Michigan State.
- The Buckeyes are 67-57 all-time in one-point games, 33-25 at home.
- Ohio State is 0-2 in overtime games this season. The Buckeyes fell to Michigan State 72-68 in East Lansing, Mich., on Jan. 7, 2014.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: LaQuinton Ross (16 points), Amir Williams (12) and Lenzelle Smith Jr. (15)
- The Buckeyes outscored the Nittany Lions 19-6 in points off turnovers.
- The loss breaks an 80-game home streak against ranked opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
- The loss breaks a 54-game home win streak vs. unranked Big Ten opponents. The last loss was Jan. 19 2005 vs. Minnesota.
- The Buckeyes are 79-23 all-time vs. Big Ten opponents at Value City Arena.
- As a ranked team, No. 24 Ohio State is 471-128 all-time.
- Matta is 266-78 during his career at Ohio State and 367-109 overall as a head coach.
- In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 136-57 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 133-55 while coaching the Buckeyes.
- Matta is 53-2 against unranked Big Ten opponents at home.
- Matta is 17-1 against Penn State as OSU head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 220-25 record as Ohio State head coach.
- At the helm of the Ohio State program, Matta is 55-27 in the month of January.
- Dished four assists to become the first player in Ohio State history with 100 or more assists in four-consecutive seasons. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 632 for his career. Craft ranks eighth all-time in Big Ten history. He needs 14 assists to pass Scott Skiles (645) of Michigan State for seventh.
- Collected four steals against Penn State. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 299. He needs two steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 26 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
- Scored eight points. He ranks 36th all-time at Ohio State with 1,165 career points. Craft passed Frank Howard (1,147) during the matchup with Illinois. He needs 15 points to pass Lawrence Funderburke (1,179) for 35th all-time.
- Has scored in double figures in five-consecutive games and 13 of his last 15 games. Ross has led the Buckeyes in scoring in 16 games this season.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights