Ohio State at Nebraska Postgame Notes
Jan. 21, 2012
No. 6 Ohio State 79 (17-3, 5-2), Nebraska 45 (10-9, 2-6)
Jan. 21, 2012
Devaney Center – Lincoln, Neb.
- The Buckeyes move to 6-2 all-time vs. Nebraska and 2-1 in Lincoln. It was the first game Ohio State has played in Lincoln since Dec. 5, 1987.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 3-0 vs. the Cornhuskers.
- Ohio State moves to 729-664 overall in the Big Ten.
- They are 38-7 in their last 45 Big Ten matchups, dating back to 3/8/09.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 412-111 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 291-62.
- The Buckeyes have now won by double figures in 15 of their 17 victories this year. 13 of their wins have been by 22 or more points. Ohio State’s 22.2 average margin of victory is No. 3 nationally.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State. So far this season, seven Buckeyes have scored in doubles figures a total of 61 times.
- In their last 73 games, the Buckeyes are 66-7.
- This is the 282nd-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
- The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 15-2 this season.
- The Buckeyes had 13 team assists vs. Nebraska. They are averaging 17.0 apg.
- This is the second time this season Ohio State has not let an opponent have a player score in double figures (Iowa, 1/7/12).
- Ohio State has defeated Nebraska by an average of 32.5 points in both wins first the newest Big Ten member.
- The Buckeyes scored 23 points off a season high 27 forced turnovers.
- The win vs. Nebraska was Coach Matta’s 207th win at Ohio State and his 103rd Big Ten victory since beginning his Ohio State career. It was the 400th game he has coached in his career.
- Matta’s career record moves to 309-91 overall and 207-60 at Ohio State.
- With the win, Matta moves to 107-43 in the Big Ten during his career.
- Matta moves to 2-0 all-time vs. Nebraska.
- Matta’s .776 winning percentage at Ohio State is the best among Big Ten coaches since Matta became the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2004.
- Ohio State is 45-20 in January under Coach Matta.
- When shooting a better percentage than the opponent, Ohio State moves to 184-19 under Matta, including 17-1 this season.
- When holding their opponent to under 50 percent shooting, the Buckeyes are 17-1 this season and 194-47 under Matta.
- Ohio State is 192-5 under Matta when leading with five minutes to play, including 17-0 this year.
- The Buckeyes are 174-19 overall and 16-1 this season when leading at the half.
- Ohio State is 15-2 this season and 143-13 when scoring 70 or more points in a game under Matta. The Buckeyes had 79 points in the win vs. Nebraska.
- The Buckeyes are 14-2 this season and 175-47 under Matta when limiting themselves to 15 or fewer turnovers. Ohio State had 10 turnovers vs. the Cornhuskers.
- The start was Buford’s 118th donning the Scarlet and Gray, tying Jamar Butler for fifth place in career games started at Ohio State.
- Buford has been a part of 102 wins at Ohio State, the eighth most all-time.
- Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,728/561/325.
- Buford scored a game high 15 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,728, which is eighth all-time in Ohio State career scoring. He is 28 points behind Jay Burson (1,756) for seventh place.
- Buford had two rebounds to push his career total to 561. He is one of 17 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
- Buford has scored in double figures 16 times this season.
- Buford became the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) Club. After the Nebraska game, Buford has now tallied 654 made field goals and 4,044 minutes played in 126 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
- Buford had two assists in the game for a career total of 325.
- Sullinger had 15 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 17th time this season and 51st time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- With 15 points, Sullinger is 56 from joining the 1,000 point club.
- Sullinger had five rebounds, pushing his career total to 540.
- Deshaun Thomas finished with 14 points. It is the 29th time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- Thomas has scored in double figures in 18 of his last 19 games played. The 18 times this season are a team high.
- Craft had two steals. He has 121 for his career. He has had at least one steal in all 18 games this season. He has had at least three steals or more in 10 games this season.
- Craft had two assists to push his season total to 102 and his career total to 279. He has had at least three in every game this season before only getting two vs. Nebraska. He’s had eight games with five or more.
- Thompson had a career high three blocks (two vs. USC Upstate, 12/14/11).
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights