Postgame Notes: Minnesota (14-4, 3-2) 63, No. 11 Ohio State (15-3, 2-3) 53
Jan. 16, 2014
Minnesota (14-4, 3-2) 63, No. 11 Ohio State (15-3, 2-3) 53
Jan. 16, 2014
Williams Arena – Minneapolis, Minn.
- Ohio State leads the all-time series against the Gophers 80-56. Minnesota owns a 38-30 edge in Minneapolis.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 26-4 against Minnesota.
- The loss snapped a six-game Ohio State win streak vs. the Gophers.
- The Buckeyes own an overall record of 757-676 against current Big Ten members.
- Minnesota broke OSU’s streak of 41-consecutive wins against unranked opponents in the regular season. The Buckeyes’ last loss to an unranked team in the regular season was Jan. 10, 2012 to Big Ten foe Illinois.
- The Buckeyes have not recorded three-consecutive losses since the 2008-09 campaign when the squad fell to Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois.
- As a ranked team, No. 11 Ohio State is 470-127 all-time.
- Ohio State held Minnesota to season-lows in made 3-pointers (3) and 3-point field goal percentage (21.4 percent; 3-14). Opponents are shooting 26.6 percent (79-297) from long distance against the Buckeyes this season.
- The game marks the first time Ohio State has recorded back-to-back double figure losses since the 2008-09 season (at Illinois, vs. Michigan State).
- Matta is 265-76 during his career at Ohio State and 367-107 overall as a head coach.
- In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 135-55 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 132-53 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 10-6 against Minnesota as OSU head coach.
- Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 219-23 record as Ohio State head coach.
- Matta is 54-25 in the month of January as OSU head coach.
- Scored 12 points vs. Minnesota. With the total, Thompson surpassed the 500-point mark for his Buckeye career (509).
- Led all scorers with 22 points.
- Has scored in double figures in 11 of his last 13 games.
- Had four assists vs. the Gophers. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 620 for his career. Craft ranks eighth all-time in Big Ten history. He needs 26 assists to pass Scott Skiles (645) of Michigan State for seventh.
- Scored seven points. He ranks 38th all-time at Ohio State with 1,134 career points. Craft passed Richard Schnittker (1,129) during the matchup with Minnesota. He needs six points to pass Jamaal Brown (1,139) for 37th all-time.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights