Jan. 13, 2013
No. 15 Ohio State (13-3, 3-1 Big Ten) 56, No. 2 Michigan 53 (16-1, 3-1 Big Ten)
Jan. 13, 2013
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Attendance: 18,809 (sellout)
• Ohio State has won eight of the last nine meetings with the Wolverines and holds a nine-game winning streak in Columbus in the series. Overall, Ohio State owns the series lead with a 93-72 record and a 53-26 lead in Columbus.
• As a ranked team, Ohio State is 35-5 in the Michigan series. Ohio State is 15-23 against ranked Michigan teams.
• The game Sunday was the second sellout of the season at Value City Arena. Ohio State owns a 57-17 record in sellouts at VCA, 47-12 against Big Ten opponents. The Buckeyes are 21-9 all-time in sellouts vs. AP ranked teams at the arena and 11-4 vs. the AP Top 10.
• No. 2 Michigan was the lone unbeaten team remaining in Division I entering the game and was playing for its first No. 1 ranking in 21 years.
• The last time Ohio State defeated a team as highly-ranked as No. 2 Michigan at Value City Arena was Feb. 25, 2007 vs. No. 2 Wisconsin (49-48).
• Ohio State exploded out of the gate with a 26-3 run over 8:29 of play to grab a 26-6 lead at 9:27 of the first half.
• The Buckeyes held Michigan to a number of season lows: points (53), first half points (22), field goal percentage (38.3 percent) and field goals made (18).
• Ohio State scored 18 points off of 13 Michigan turnovers.
• The Buckeyes amassed 28 points in the paint, half of their total output.
• As a ranked team (AP), No. 15 Ohio State is 439-119 all-time.
• With the win, Ohio State upped its record to 71-20 vs. Big Ten opponents at Value City Arena.
• The Buckeyes have an all-time record of 148-233 vs. ranked opponents in the Associated Press Top 25. That includes a mark of 63-116 vs. Top 10 foes.
• In games when both teams enter with a Top 25 ranking, Ohio State is 68-59 all-time.
• The Buckeyes are 742-669 all-time in Big Ten play.
• Matta is 234-68 during his career at Ohio State and 335-99 overall as a head coach.
• In his 13 years as a head coach, Matta is 120-48 vs. current Big Ten opponents, including a record of 116-46 at Ohio State.
• Matta is 17-3 vs. Michigan as head coach of the Buckeyes.
• Matta owns a 37-9 record in sellouts at VCA, 31-7 against Big Ten opponents. He is 6-2 vs. the AP Top 10 in arena sellouts.
• Ohio State owns a 147-13 home record during the Matta era. The Buckeyes are 65-4 in Columbus over the past four seasons.
• The Buckeyes are 61-10 vs. Big Ten opponents at Value City arena in nine seasons under Matta.
• Led all scorers with 20 points.
• With 1,222 points, Thomas moves to No. 33 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State. He needs two points to pass John Havlicek for thirty-second all-time.
• Has scored in double figures in all 16 games this season and totaled 20 or more points in nine contests.
• Craft recorded one steal against the Wolverines. He is currently No. 2 on the all-time list at Ohio State (199). Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State's career leader with 204.
• With four assists for the game, Craft remains fourth on the all-time list at Ohio State with 432 for his career. He needs 43 assists to pass Curtis Wilson for third.
• In last three games, Craft has handed out 23 assists with just six turnovers
• Has recorded at least one steal in 11-consecutive games.
• With four rebounds, Thompson passed 100 for his career at Ohio State (102).
LENZELLE SMITH, JR.
• Tied a season high with 10 rebounds.
Buckeyes Handle No. 16 Badgers, 83-73
Buckeyes in the NBA