Postgame Notes: No. 20 Iowa 84, No. 3 Ohio State 74
Jan. 12, 2014
No. 20 Iowa 84 (14-3, 3-1), No. 3 Ohio State 74 (15-2, 2-2)
Jan. 12, 2014
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Attendance: 18,809 (sellout)
- The Hawkeyes lead the all-time series with the Buckeyes 74-71. Ohio State owns a 46-26 record in games played in Columbus.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 23-11 against Iowa. The Buckeyes are 5-3 when both teams are ranked.
- All-time, OSU is 59-18 in Value City Arena sellouts, 48-14 against Big Ten opponents. The Buckeyes are 22-11 all-time in sellouts vs. AP ranked teams at the arena.
- The Buckeyes own an overall record of 757-675 against current Big Ten members.
- Trailing by nine in the second half, Iowa went on a 40-21 run during the final 12:29 of play.
- Three players scored in double figures for Ohio State: LaQuinton Ross (22), Amir Williams (11) and Lenzelle Smith Jr. (10).
- Five players (Marble, White, Basabe, Gesell and Uthoff) scored in double figures for the Hawkeyes. The last time five opposing players scored in double figures against Ohio State: No. 3 Michigan on Feb. 2, 2013 (Hardaway Jr., Burke, McGary, Stauskas and Robinson III).
- Ohio State surrendered 80 points for the first time since Feb. 10, 2013, an 81-68 loss vs. No. 1 Indiana.
- Since 2008-2009, Ohio State has suffered back-to-back losses just three times while in turn earning 25 victories.
- The Buckeyes are 78-22 all-time vs. Big Ten opponents at Value City Arena, 7-4 vs. Iowa.
- As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 470-126 all-time. The Buckeyes are 336-75 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- Ohio State is 154-240 all-time against AP Top 25 teams (1-2 in 2013-14). When both teams are ranked, OSU is 74-66.
- Iowa is the first team to score more than 70 points on the Buckeyes in regulation this season.
- Matta is 265-75 during his career at Ohio State and 367-106 overall as a head coach.
- In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 135-54 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 132-52 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 11-5 against Iowa as OSU head coach.
- Matta is 54-24 in the month of January as OSU head coach.
- Led all scorers with 22 points.
- Has scored in double figures in 10 of his last 12 games.
- Collected three steals against Iowa. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 290. He needs 11 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 35 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
- Had six assists vs. the Hawkeyes. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 616 for his career. Craft ranks eighth all-time in Big Ten history, passing Jeff Horner of Iowa (612) vs. the Hawkeyes. He needs 30 assists to pass Scott Skiles (645) of Michigan State for seventh.
- Scored six points. He ranks 39th all-time at Ohio State with 1,127 career points. He needs four points to pass Richard Schnittker (1,229) for 38th.
Season Tickets On Sale for Winter Sports