Jan. 10, 2012
Box Score |
No. 5 Ohio State 74 (15-3, 3-2), Illinois 79 (15-3, 4-1)
Jan. 10, 2012
Assembly Hall – Champaign, Ill.
- The Buckeyes move to 64-100 all-time vs. Illinois, having won five of the previous six meetings. Ohio State is 24-59 at Illinois.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 21-10 vs. the Illini, winning 11 of the last 12.
- Ohio State moves to 727-664 overall in the Big Ten.
- They are 36-7 in their last 43 Big Ten matchups, dating back to 3/8/09.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 410-111 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 289-62.
- In their last 71 games, the Buckeyes are 64-7.
- This is the 280th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
- The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 13-2 this season.
- Matta’s career record falls to 307-91 overall and 205-60 at Ohio State.
- With the loss, Matta moves to 105-43 in the Big Ten during his career.
- Matta falls to 10-4 all-time vs. Illinois.
- Matta’s .776 winning percentage at Ohio State is the best among Big Ten coaches since Matta became the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2004.
- Ohio State is 43-20 in January under Coach Matta.
- The Buckeyes are 172-19 overall and 14-1 this season when leading at the half.
- Ohio State is 13-2 this season and 141-13 when scoring 70 or more points in a game under Matta. The Buckeyes had 74 points in the loss to Illinois.
- The start was Buford’s 116th donning the Scarlet and Gray, tying Perry Carter for sixth place in career games started at Ohio State.
- Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,701/555/319.
- Buford scored 15 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,701, which is eighth all-time in Ohio State career scoring. He is 55 points behind Jay Burson (1,756) for seventh place.
- Buford had three rebounds to push his career total to 555. He is one of 17 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
- Buford has scored in double figures 14 times this season.
- Buford is on pace to become the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) Club. After the Illinois game, Buford has now tallied 643 made field goals and 3,948 minutes played in 124 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
- Sullinger had 21 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 15th time this season and 49th time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- Sullinger had five rebounds, pushing his career total to 526.
- Deshaun Thomas finished with 23 points. It is the 27th time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- Thomas has scored in double figures in 16 of his last 17 games played. The 16 times this season are a team high.
- Craft had one steal. He has 118 for his career. He has had at least one steal in all 18 games this season. He has had at least three steals or more in eight games this season.
- Craft had four assists to push his season total to 100 and his career total to 266. He has had at least three in every game this season and seven games with five or more.