Jan. 7, 2014
No. 5 Michigan State (14-1, 3-0) 72, No. 3 Ohio State (15-1, 2-1) 68 (OT)
Jan. 7, 2014
Breslin Center – East Lansing, Mich.
Please Note: The home matchup with No. 20 Iowa on Jan. 12 will take place at 1:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on CBS.
• The game Tuesday was the first Top 5 matchup between the Buckeyes and Spartans.
• The Spartans lead the all-time series with the Buckeyes 62-54. Ohio State owns a 17-38 record in games played in East Lansing.
• Ohio State is 40-51 in overtime games all-time, 14-22 on the road.
• The Buckeyes own an overall record of 757-674 against current Big Ten members.
• Trailing 55-38 with 7:05 to play, Ohio State closed the second half on a 20-3 run to force overtime. The Buckeyes forced nine Michigan State turnovers during the stretch.
• As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 470-125 all-time. The Buckeyes are 336-74 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
• Ohio State is 154-239 all-time against AP Top 25 teams. That includes a 66-119 mark vs. Top 10 foes. When both teams are ranked, OSU is 74-65.
• OSU owned a 42-28 edge on the glass and a 34-20 advantage in points scored in the paint.
• The Buckeyes scored 17 points off of a season-high 17 MSU turnovers.
• Matta is 265-74 during his career at Ohio State and 367-105 overall as a head coach.
• In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 135-53 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 132-51 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 10-10 against Michigan State as OSU head coach.
• Matta is 54-23 in the month of January as OSU head coach.
• Scored a season-high 18 points.
• Collected one steal against Michigan State. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 284. He needs 14 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 38 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
• Had six assists vs. the Spartans. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 610 for his career. Craft ranks ninth all-time in Big Ten history and needs three assists to pass Jeff Horner of Iowa (612) for eighth.
• Scored nine points. He ranks 40th all-time at Ohio State with 1,121 career points. He needs two points to pass Brad Sellers for 39th (1,222) and nine to pass Richard Schnittker (1,229) for 38th.
Buckeyes in the NBA