Jan. 7, 2014
No. 5 Michigan State (14-1, 3-0) 72, No. 3 Ohio State (15-1, 2-1) 68 (OT)
Jan. 7, 2014
Breslin Center – East Lansing, Mich.
Please Note: The home matchup with No. 20 Iowa on Jan. 12 will take place at 1:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on CBS.
• The game Tuesday was the first Top 5 matchup between the Buckeyes and Spartans.
• The Spartans lead the all-time series with the Buckeyes 62-54. Ohio State owns a 17-38 record in games played in East Lansing.
• Ohio State is 40-51 in overtime games all-time, 14-22 on the road.
• The Buckeyes own an overall record of 757-674 against current Big Ten members.
• Trailing 55-38 with 7:05 to play, Ohio State closed the second half on a 20-3 run to force overtime. The Buckeyes forced nine Michigan State turnovers during the stretch.
• As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 470-125 all-time. The Buckeyes are 336-74 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
• Ohio State is 154-239 all-time against AP Top 25 teams. That includes a 66-119 mark vs. Top 10 foes. When both teams are ranked, OSU is 74-65.
• OSU owned a 42-28 edge on the glass and a 34-20 advantage in points scored in the paint.
• The Buckeyes scored 17 points off of a season-high 17 MSU turnovers.
• Matta is 265-74 during his career at Ohio State and 367-105 overall as a head coach.
• In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 135-53 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 132-51 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 10-10 against Michigan State as OSU head coach.
• Matta is 54-23 in the month of January as OSU head coach.
• Scored a season-high 18 points.
• Collected one steal against Michigan State. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 284. He needs 14 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 38 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
• Had six assists vs. the Spartans. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 610 for his career. Craft ranks ninth all-time in Big Ten history and needs three assists to pass Jeff Horner of Iowa (612) for eighth.
• Scored nine points. He ranks 40th all-time at Ohio State with 1,121 career points. He needs two points to pass Brad Sellers for 39th (1,222) and nine to pass Richard Schnittker (1,229) for 38th.
WATCH: Thad Matta Press Conference
Buckeyes on the Blacktop Highlights