Postgame Notes: No. 11 Illinois 74, No. 8 Ohio State 55
Jan. 5, 2013
No. 11 Illinois (14-2, 1-1 Big Ten) 74, No. 8 Ohio State (11-3, 1-1 Big Ten) 55
Jan. 5, 2013
Assembly Hall - Champaign, Ill.
- The game Saturday was the 166th all-time meeting between Ohio State and Illinois. The Illini hold a 101-65 advantage in the series and a 60-24 lead in Champaign.
- In games when both teams enter with a Top 25 ranking (AP), the Fighting Illini hold a 6-5 advantage over the Buckeyes.
- Ohio State owns a 33-64 record in the first road game of the season in Big Ten play. The Buckeyes are 740-669 all-time in conference play.
- Two players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Deshaun Thomas (24 points) and Aaron Craft (11).
- The Buckeyes trailed at the half for only the second time this season (37-25). OSU also trailed at the half in a 74-66 loss to Kansas.
- The 19-point margin of victory by Illinois was the largest a team has recorded over Ohio State this season.
- Ohio State scored 14 points off of 18 Illinois turnovers.
- As a ranked team (AP), No. 8 Ohio State is 437-119 all-time. Ohio State is 316-70 when ranked in the Top 10.
- The Buckeyes have an all-time record of 147-234 vs. ranked opponents in the Associated Press Top 25.
- OSU is 67-60 all-time when both teams carry an Associated Press Top 25 ranking.
- The game vs. Illinois marked the 300th game Matta has coached at Ohio State. Only two previous coaches, Harold G. Olsen (1923-46) and Fred Taylor (1959-76), reached 300 or more games at Ohio State.
- Matta is 231-68 during his career at Ohio State and 333-99 overall as a head coach.
- During the Matta era at Ohio State, the Buckeyes have a record of 39-47 vs. ranked opponents.
- In his 13 years as a head coach, Matta is 118-48 vs. current Big Ten opponents.
- Matta owns an 11-5 record vs. Illinois.
- Led all scorers with 24 points.
- With 1,180 points, Thomas moves to No. 34 on the all-time scoring list at Ohio State. He needs 31 points to pass Luke Witte for thirty-third all-time.
- Has scored in double figures in all 14 games this season and totaled 20 or more points in seven contests.
- Craft recorded four steals against the Illini. He is currently No. 2 on the all-time list at Ohio State (197). Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State's career leader with 204.
- With three assists for the game, Craft moves to No. 4 on the all-time list at Ohio State with 426 for his career. He needs 49 assists to pass Curtis Wilson for third.
- Tied a career-high was one assist earned.
- Has recorded at least one steal in 12-consecutive games.
- Recorded a steal vs. Illinois, tying a career high.
Jent Returns to Men's Basketball Program