Jan. 4, 2014
Recap | Box Score | Quotes | USATSI Gallery
No. 3 Ohio State (15-0, 2-0) 84, Nebraska (8-6, 0-2) 53
Jan. 4, 2014
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Please Note: The home matchup with Iowa on Jan. 12 will take place at 1:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on CBS.
• Ohio State leads the all-time series with Nebraska 10-2. The Buckeyes own a 6-0 advantage in games played in Columbus.
• Ohio State is 68-30 all-time in Big Ten home openers.
• The Buckeyes own an overall record of 757-673 against current Big Ten members.
• Five players scored in double figures for Ohio State: Amedeo Della Valle (15), Marc Loving (13), Shannon Scott (13), LaQuinton Ross (11) and Amir Williams (10).
• With 15 wins to start the 2013-14 season, Ohio State now has won 10 or more consecutive games in 13 seasons all-time. This year also marks the fifth year in which an Ohio State team has won 10 or more games to start the season.
• Ohio State has not allowed an opponent to reach 70 points over the first 15 games this season. The 15-game streak without an opponent scoring 70 or more points is the longest for Ohio State since a 22-game streak during the 2010-11 season from Nov. 20, 2010 to Feb. 6, 2011.
• Ohio State held Nebraska to a season-low 53 points. Through 14 games, OSU ranks No. 3 nationally in scoring defense (55.1 ppg).
• Nebraska shot 4 of 15 from 3-point range (26.7 percent). Opponents are shooting 24.3 percent from 3 (60-247) against the Buckeyes this season. Through 14 games, OSU ranks No. 1 nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense.
• As a ranked team, No. 3 Ohio State is 470-124 all-time. The Buckeyes are 336-73 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
• Ohio State has won 79-consecutive home games against unranked opponents. The last loss was Dec. 27, 2008 vs. West Virginia.
• Ohio State has won 52-consecutive home games against unranked Big Ten opponents. The last loss was Jan. 19 2005 vs. Minnesota. Thad Matta is 52-1 unranked Big Ten opponents.
• The Buckeyes are 78-21 all-time vs. Big Ten opponents at Value City Arena, 3-0 vs. Nebraska.
• The Ohio State bench outscored the Nebraska bench 38-12. The Buckeye bench has outscored opposing benches 325-177 this season.
• The Buckeyes scored 17 points off of 13 Nebraska turnovers.
• Matta is 265-73 during his career at Ohio State and 367-104 overall as a head coach.
• Against unranked opponents, Matta owns a 219-22 record as Ohio State head coach.
• Matta owns a 10-0 record in Big Ten home openers.
• In 13 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 135-52 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 132-50 while coaching the Buckeyes. Matta is 6-0 against Nebraska as OSU head coach.
• Matta is 54-22 in the month of January as OSU head coach.
Amedeo Della Valle
• Led all scorers with 15 points.
• Shot a perfect 5 of 5 from the field, 3 of 3 from 3-point range.
• Posted a career-high 13 points.
• Connected on career-best 7-of-8 free throws.
• Tied a career best with five rebounds.
• Collected three steals against Nebraska. He ranks third all-time in Big Ten history with 283. He needs 15 steals to pass Gary Grant of Michigan (300) for second all-time and 39 to pass Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) for first.
• Had four assists vs. the Cornhuskers. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 604 for his career. Craft ranks ninth all-time in Big Ten history and needs nine steals to pass Jeff Horner of Iowa (612) for eighth.
• Scored nine points. He ranks 41st all-time at Ohio State with 1,112 career points. He needs nine points to pass Curtis Wilson (1,120) for 40th.
• Has scored in double figures in nine of the last 10 games.
• Passed 200 career rebounds (202).