Ohio State puts third candidate in four years on list
March 26 - April 1, 2012
Buckeyes conclude season at Final Four
Ohio State has won eight of its last nine to reach the final four
Buckeyes will meet the Jayhawks at 7:50/8:50 p.m. ET Saturday in New Orleans
Ohio State vs. Kansas, NCAA Final Four, March 31, 2012.
Ohio State vs. Syracuse NCAA Tournament Elite Eight
Ohio State vs. Gonzaga - AP Photos
Ohio State 77, Michigan 55
Purdue vs. Ohio State Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals
- 2012 Lowe's Senior CLASS Award Nominee
- 2012 Preseason All-Big Ten (Coaches)
- 2012 Preseason Naismith Award Top 50
- 2012 Preseason Wooden Award Top 50
- 2011 Big Ten All-Tournament Team
- 2011 NABC Second Team District 7
- 2011 Second Team All-Big Ten (Coaches/Media)
- 2010 Third Team All-Big Ten (Coaches/Media)
- 2009 Big Ten Freshman of the Year (Coaches/Media)
- 2009 Big Ten All-Freshman Team (Coaches)
- 2009 Honorable Mention All-Big Ten (Coaches)
- 2009 Big Ten Player of the Week, 1/19/09
William Buford is the top returning scorer from the 2009-10 Buckeyes, bringing back 14.4 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. A smooth shooter from mid-range with the ability to score from long range, on the break and driving through traffic, Buford was the 2009 Big Ten Freshman of the Year and a 2010 Third Team All-Big Ten (coaches and media) honoree. He enters 2010-11 with 904 career points, needing just 96 to become the third player on the Buckeye roster to hit 1,000, joining seniors David Lighty and Jon Diebler. Buford also brings a 64-game scoring streak into his junior season. He excels in conference play, raising his points per game average from 13.8 vs. non-conference opponents to 14.9 against Big Ten teams during regular-season play. Even as a freshman in 2008-09, he missed just one FT (22-23) in Big Ten play and upped scoring, FG pct, 3FG pct., assist and steals totals from non-conference numbers. Also a gifted free-throw shooter, he is a 78 percent shot from the charity stripe (134-171) and has hit every attempt in 25 career games.
AS A JUNIOR (2010-11)
Started all 36 games played, averaging 14.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg and 2.9 apg ... Finished second on team in scoring behind national player of the year finalist Jared Sullinger
Has scored in 100-consecutive games, dating back to Dec. 17, 2008 against Jacksonville ... last held scoreless vs. Butler (12/13/08)
Became the 47th player in Ohio State history to record 1,000 points (1,424) and third on the 2010-11 Buckeye roster joining Jon Diebler and David Lighty
With 1,424 career points holds 22nd-place in career scoring at Ohio State
Scored in double-figures in 10 out of the last 11 Big Ten games and in 28 games during the season
Shot 85 percent from the charity stripe (59-70) for the season and 91 percent (39-43) in Big Ten games, the latter of which was first among conference players
Notable Games in 2010-11
Tallied 18 points, five boards, two assists and two steals against George Mason (3/20/11)
Scored team-leading 18 points with six rebounds and five assists against UTSA (3/18/11)
Scored 21 points on 9-of-14 shooting with four assists and three boards at Penn State (3/1/11)
Led team by posting 23 points and adding five boards, in win over Michigan State (2/15/11)
Scored a team-high 21 points while recording two rebounds and two assists at Wisconsin (2/12/11)
Paced six Buckeyes in double-digits vs. Purdue (1/25/11), tallying 19 points and increasing his average vs. Boilermakers to 15.3 ppg.
Scored game-high 19 points in win at Michigan (1/12/11) ... also tallied nine rebounds in first 40-minute outing of the season
Tallied double-digit scoring in all eight games during month of December, ending with game-high 24 points vs. Indiana (12/31/10)
Led team with season-high 23 points vs. Tennessee-Martin (12/27/10), plus five assists and three steals ... scored the first seven points of game and 10 of first 15
Scored 17 points against Florida Gulf Coast (12/15/10) to pass the 1,000-point plateau
Sat out game vs. Morehead St. (11/23/10) because of back spasms, ending a streak of 65-consecutive games started
Had 16 points and a game-high eight assists against Florida (11/16/10)
AS A SOPHOMORE (2009-10)
- One of three players to start all 37 games
- Averaged 34.4 minutes per game with 14.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists
- Was second on the team in scoring behind Evan Turner, the consensus national player of the year
- Produced first four career double-doubles vs. Eastern Michigan (12/5/09), Michigan (1/3/10), Michigan State (2/21/10) and Illinois (3/13/10)
- Had double-digit scoring efforts in 29 games and notched at least 20 in six contests
- Posted 14.9 ppg and 6.8 rpg in regular-season Big Ten play, up from 13.8 ppg vs. non-conference foes
- In the seven games during Evan Turner's injury (12/5/09 - 1/3/10), had 31 assists after 16 in previous seven games
- Had 16 points and seven boards vs. UCSB March 19
- Averaged 16.7 points and had six steals in three Big Ten Tournament games
- Notched double-double in Big Ten semifinal vs. Illinois with 22 points and 10 boards in career-high 50 minutes of play
- Had 17 points, including nine off free throws, with seven boards and six assists in win over Illinois (3/2/10)
- Fell two points short of his career-high with 24 against Michigan (2/27/10)
- Posted third double-double of his season/career with 17 points and 10 rebounds in win at Michigan State (2/21/10)
- Scored a team-high 21 points while pulling down seven boards and dishing out four assists at Indiana (2/1/0/10)
- Netted a career-high 26 points on 10-of-14 shooting in win over Minnesota (1/31/10), adding five assists
- Had a game-high 12 rebounds, including a career-high 10 defensive boards in win over Wisconsin (1/16/10)
- Marked 10th-consecutive game with double-digits points at Purdue (1/12/10) with 19-point performance
- Scored 16 points and pulled down a career-best 13 rebounds at Michigan (1/3/10) for second career double-double ... attempted 17 shots and grabbed seven offensive rebounds at Michigan, both career highs
- Led Buckeyes with 14 points and eight boards at Wisconsin (12/31/09)
- Scored a team-high 20 points, including six on made free throws, and had seven rebounds at Butler (12/12/09)
- Earned first career double-double vs. Eastern Michigan with 16 points and career-high 10 assists, becoming the 100th player in OSU history to tally a double-double (12/5/09)
- Was one of six players in double-digits vs. St. Francis (Pa.) (11/28/09), scoring 15 points and five rebounds with three assists
AS A FRESHMAN (2008-09)
- Among Ohio State freshmen all-time, Buford is third in 3-pointers made with 43, fifth in 3-pt. FG pct. (.361, (43-119) and ranks eighth in total points scored with 372 and made FGs with 142
- Shot 56 pct. from the field in 14-of-25 shooting during the Big Ten Tournament ... combined for 38 pts. (12.7 ppg.) and 17 rebs. (5.7 rpg.) while averaging 37.3 mpg.
- Reached double figures offensively in 20 of the last 26 games and totaled 21 for the season
- Shot 84.9 percent (45-of-53) from the charity stripe
- Averaged 29.3 mpg., 11.3 ppg. and 3.7 rpg.
- Finished second in points scored for Ohio State (372/11.3 ppg.)
- Posted 11 pts. and 3 rebs. in NCAA Tournament vs. Siena (3/20/09)
- Recorded 300th career pt. at Purdue (2/28/09) after scoring 6 pts. ... added 5 rebs. and 1 blk. against the Boilermakers in 28 mins. of play
- Tied his career high in assists with 3 and blks. with 2 vs. Illinois (2/22/09) ... added 14 pts. and 4 rebs. in 39 mins. of play
- Grabbed a then career-best 8 rebounds to go along with 11 points and a career-high 4 off. rebs. vs. Northwestern (3/8/09)
- Made his 100th career FG (142) at Wisconsin (2/14/09) with 5-of-11 shooting from the field
- Posted 4 steals to tie his career high vs. Minnesota (2/7/09) and again at Wisconsin (2/14/09)
- Played a career-high 42 mins. in win over Purdue (2/3/09) ... posted 22 pts. after a career-high 10 made FGs ... in the overtime win, had second-consecutive output of 20 or more pts.
- Scored a career-best 24 pts. at Indiana (1/31/09) for first game with 20+ pts. ... connected on a personal-best 8-of-12 shots with 2-of-3 coming from behind the arc and set a career high from the FT line with 6 of 6 made
- Tied or set his career high in 8 categories vs. Indiana (1/13/09) including pts. (19), rebs. (7), mins. played (37), made FGs (7), FGA (15), made 3-point baskets (4) and def. rebs. (6)
- Led the team vs. Houston Baptist (1/9/09) with a then career-high 19 pts ... knocked down a career-best 4 made 3-pointers in 9 attempts in only 25 minutes of play
- On the road at Michigan State (1/6/09) knocked down 7-of-13 from the field and 3-of-6 from behind the arc for 17 pts.
- Made first career start in win vs. UNC Asheville (12/22/08) ... scored 16 points and grabbed 7 rebs. vs. the Bulldogs
- Played 36 minutes vs. Iowa (12/31/08) ... scored 16 pts. in the victory
- In only 12 mins. of play vs. the Jacksonville Dolphins 912/17/08), added 8 pts. for the Buckeyes after going 2-of-2 from behind the arc
- Sparked the Buckeyes with 9 first-half points in win vs. No. 7 ND
- In first career game as a Buckeye, posted a game-high tying 13 points in 22 minutes of play (11/20/08) ... went 5-of-10 shooting from the field, while adding a 3-point basket and 2 assists
PRIOR TO OHIO STATE
- Named Mr. Ohio Basketball and Division II Co-Player of the Year in 2008,
- Earned his third-consecutive Toledo City League Player of the Year honor as a senior after averaging 23 points and 11 rebounds
- Selected as a McDonald's and Jordan Brand All-American ... recorded six points, one steal and one assist in the McDonald's All-American game, while posting 12 points and three rebounds in the Jordan Classic.
- Also earned 2008 MaxPreps third-team All-America and Parade All-America honors.
- A four-year starter for Toledo Libbey, led the Cowboys to a runner-up finish in the Division II Ohio High School state tournament as a senior. Buford scored a game-high 29 points, but Chillicothe made a last-second shot to claim the victory, 70-69.
- As a junior, earned first team all-state honors and was a member of the All-Toledo Blade squad ... averaged 28 points and 12 rebounds in 2007 as the Cowboys won the Toledo City League and finished No. 3 in the state.
- Son of Arnetta and William Buford ... He has a brother, Ryan and a sister, Simon.
- Lists greatest sports thrill as his first dunk in a game. After graduation, Buford plans to earn his master's degree.
Buckeyes in the NBA