RELATED INFO: 2017 Team Guide | Weekly Release | 2017 Schedule | 2017 Roster | Baseball Homepage | Big Ten Baseball | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | Promotional Calendar | Buy Tickets
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team concludes the 2017 regular season with a three-game home series against Indiana Thursday-Saturday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. All three games will be streamed on BTN Plus and fans can listen on AM 1460 ESPN.
THURSDAY: Teacher Appreciation Night
FRIDAY: First Responders Night
SATURDAY: Senior Day, Family Packs Available
ON THE MOUND
THURSDAY: LHP Connor Curlis (4-3, 4.20 ERA) vs. RHP Jonathan Stiever (3-3, 3.90 ERA)
FRIDAY: RHP Jake Post (1-6, 4.32 ERA) vs. RHP Pauly Milto (5-3, 3.54 ERA)
SATURDAY: TBA vs. RHP Cal Krueger (3-1, 2.61 ERA)
FOLLOW THE ACTION
All three games will be streamed on BTN Plus ($). Fans can also listen on AM 1460 ESPN. Matt Andrews (play-by-play) and Bob Spears (analysis) will have the call. A links to live stats links can be found by going to the schedule page of Ohio State Baseball on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter via @OhioState_BASE.
- Ohio State is 21-32 overall and 7-14 in Big Ten play. The Buckeyes are 8-15 at home this season.
- Last time out, the Buckeyes won 11-8 over Toledo on Tuesday night. Zach Ratcliff and Shea Murray both homered in the win.
- Last weekend in Big Ten play, the Scarlet and Gray fell in a road series at Iowa. The Buckeyes dropped the opener, 9-5, before winning the middle game, 12-7. Iowa rallied with nine runs in the final three innings to win the finale in walk-off fashion by an 11-10 score.
- Ohio State leads the all-time series vs. Indiana, 160-114. The Hoosiers have won the last 10 meetings.
- Rookie Dominic Canzone leads the Buckeyes with a .348 average at the dish, which is fifth-best in the Big Ten.
- Tre’ Gantt is the conference leader in walks (38). He leads the team in hits (60) and runs scored (42).
- Jalen Washington leads the Buckeyes in doubles (13) and RBI (35).
- The OSU pitching staff has seen 16 different arms on the mound this year. Kinker is 3-0 with a 2.65 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 51.0 innings pitched in 20 relief appearances. He is fifth in league games with a 2.55 ERA.
- Ohio State is hitting .257 as a team with 88 doubles, 19 triples and 39 home runs.
- The OSU pitching staff has combined for a 5.34 ERA with 389 strikeouts in 468.1 innings pitched.
- The 2017 campaign marks the 134th season of Ohio State baseball and 21st at Bill Davis Stadium.
- The team is led by seventh-year head coach Greg Beals, who led the Buckeyes to a Big Ten tournament championship and NCAA Regional in 2016.
- The team is guided by a five-member senior class that includes four fifth-year seniors: Jake Post, Shea Murray, Joe Stoll and Zach Ratcliff.
- Washington and redshirt junior pitcher Adam Niemeyer were both named captains. Washington was named a Senior CLASS Award Candidate.
- Kinker was named to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Preseason Stopper of the Year Watch List.
- Yianni Pavlopoulos joined Washington and Kinker on the B1G Players to Watch List.
- Ohio State welcomed 15 newcomers to the 35-man roster, including seven junior collegetransfers.
- Highlighting the early part of the schedule were ranked wins over No. 5 Oregon State (6-1; Feb. 24) and No. 24 FGCU (5-4, March 12).
BUCKEYE BATS HEATING UP
Ohio State hit .392 as a team in its three-game road series at Iowa last weekend with 10 doubles, five home runs, 13 walks and 26 RBI. Conner Pohl is hitting .538 (7-for-113) with three doubles and a home run in his last five games, while Dominic Canzone has pushed in five runs with a .292 average in his las five. Zach Ratcliff (.529) and Shea Murray (.526) have combined for 19 hits, including nine extra-base hits, in the last five contests. In all, seven Buckeyes hit above .300 in the series in Iowa City.
2017 SENIOR CLASS
The 2017 senior class will be recognized before first pitch on Saturday as part of Senior Day. These 2017 seniors have won 165 games the past five years, including 82 victories at Bill Davis Stadium. This group helped guide the Scarlet and Gray to the 2016 Big Ten Tournament title and the team’s 20th appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
- Shea Murray: Drafted as a pitcher in 2015 and has transitioned to a starting outfielder in 2017. Has played in 54 career games with 33 starts. Batting .261 with 19 runs scored, eight doubles, three triples, three home runs and 15 RBI. Murray is a three-time OSU Scholar-Athlete and two-time Academic All-Big Ten.
- Jake Post: Drafted out of high school in 2012 and has made 50 career appearances with 25 career starts. Has a 3.77 career ERA with 141 strikeouts in 167.0 IP.
- Zach Ratcliff: Has made 133 career appearances with 101 career starts. Has collected 51 runs scored, 101 hits, 22 doubles, 12 home runs and 62 RBI. Leads the Buckeyes with seven home runs this year.
- Joe Stoll: Has made 36 career appearances out of the Buckeye bullpen. Has a 3.97 ERA with 26 strikeouts in 22.2 IP. Holding opposing hitters to a .176 average with two outs in 2017. Stoll is five-time OSU Scholar-Athlete and 2016 Academic All-Big Ten selection.
- Jalen Washington: A two-time captain, has transitioned from behind the plate to the Buckeyes’ starting shortstop. Has made 138 career appearances with 121 career starts, collecting 72 runs scored, 111 hits, 24 doubles, four triples, nine home runs, 79 RBI and 30 stolen bases. Washington was a Senior CLASS Award Candidate and OSU Scholar-Athlete.
SCOUTING THE HOOSIERS
The Hoosiers are 30-19-2 overall and 12-8-1 in Big Ten play. Indiana is hitting .267 as a team with 95 doubles, seven triples and 60 home runs. Matt Lloyd is hitting .316 with 13 doubles, 10 home runs and 39 RBI. On the mound, the IU pitching staff has combined for a 4.39 ERA with 334 strikeouts in 457.0 IP. Jonathan Stiever is 3-3 with 3.90 ERA with 45 strikeouts to four walks in 57.2 innings of work.
OHIO STATE VS. INDIANA
Ohio State leads the all-time series, 160-114. The Hoosiers have won the last 10 meetings against the Buckeyes. The Scarlet and Gray hold an 88-46 record against Indiana in Columbus.
FIVE BUCKEYES RECEIVE DEGREES
Five members of the team graduated from The Ohio State University on Sunday: fifth-year seniors Zach Ratcliff (sport industry), Jake Post (human development & family science), Shea Murray (political science), Joe Stoll (integrated systems engineering) and senior student manager Caleb Huth.
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR CAMPAIGN
Freshman Dominic Canzone has seen the ball as well as anyone in the Big Ten over the last month, racking up 54 hits and 12 walks for a .348 average, for fifth in the league. Included in his 54 hits are four doubles, three triples, three home runs, while driving in 33 RBI.
- Third in the Big Ten in conference games in batting average (.403), tied for fourth in RBI (21), fifth in slugging percentage (.611) and eighth in on-base percentage (.444) and tied for seventh in stolen bases (6). He is the league leader in multiple offensive batting categories among Big Ten freshmen.
- Hitting .370 (17-for-46), while driving in 11 runs in his last 10 games.
- Had a 12-game hit streak this year (team-high). Currently on a team-best six-game hit streak.
- Has a team-best four outfield assists and 12 stolen bases, including six swipes in Big Ten play.
- Batted .364 (4-for-11) to lead team at plate at Michigan series (5/5-7).
- Had a three-hit game vs. No. 4 Texas Tech May 3.
- Hit the walk-off single in the bottom of the 12th vs. Bowling Green last Tuesday.
- Hit his first career grand slam last Sunday at Iowa.
- Team-high nine multi-RBI games and 17 multi-hit contests.
- Batting .362 (17-for-47) with runners in scoring position and .386(22-for-57) with two outs. Has totaled a team-high 21 two-out RBI.
- Named Big Ten Freshman of the Week April 10.
- Tre’ Gantt leads the team with 18 multi-hit games.
- Seth Kinker has made 76 career appearances, which is 12th in the OSU career appearances list.
- Jacob Barnwell is hitting .360 (18-for-50) with two outs.
- Three freshmen position players have seen quality time on the field: Canzone (46 gp, 36 gs), Noah West (34 gp, 27 gs) and Conner Pohl (28 gp, 14 gs).
- Former Buckeye Drew Rucinski was recently called up to the Minnesota Twins last week.
- Former Buckeye Travis Lakins was promoted to the Portland Sea Dogs last Wednesday.
- Ohio State has hit five grand slams this year.
Six Buckeyes Named to All-Big Ten Teams