COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team opens its final week of the regular season with its final midweek game, traveling south to play at Cincinnati Tuesday. First pitch between the Buckeyes and Bearcats is set for 11 a.m. ET from Marge Schott Stadium. The midweek contest will be the Bearcats’ annual Education Day at the ball park with local schools in attendance.
BUCKEYES IN A NUTSHELL
- Ohio State is 33-17 overall and 13-8 in Big Ten play with four games remaining in the regular season.
- The Buckeyes (33-17, 13-8) are tied for fourth in the Big Ten standings with Illinois (29-17, 13-8), but holds the tiebreaker over the Illini. Last weekend, the team punched its ticket to the 2018 Big Ten Tournament after winning two of three games at home against Purdue. The Boilermakers (30-18, 14-6) are in third place behind first-place Minnesota (34-13, 16-4) and second-place Michigan (32-16, 15-5). Following the Illini, Indiana (33-15, 11-9) sits in sixth, Iowa (29-18, 10-9) in seventh and Maryland (24-27, 9-11) and Michigan State (18-28, 9-11) are tied for eighth. The top eight teams make the conference tournament held May 23-17 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb.
- The Scarlet and Gray are ranked No. 33 in the latest NCAA RPI rankings released.
- Last time out, the Buckeyes won their fifth league series of the season winning Friday vs. the Boilermakers, 4-2, and scoring 15 unanswered runs in the series finale Sunday to win 16-6. Head Coach Greg Beals claimed his 500th career win and senior reliever Seth Kinker broke the career appearances record last Friday Night. He currently has 104 career appearances. .
- Ohio State is 6-2 in midweek contests and 3-0 vs. in-state opponents.
- The Buckeyes are batting .292 as a team, good for second in the league.
- Kinker is leading the Big Ten and fourth nationally in ERA (1.15). He is 6-1 with 13 saves.
- Senior Noah McGowan is leading the team in batting (.378), doubles (189), home runs (9), RBI (54), slugging (.633) and on-base percentage (.468).
- Dominic Canzone is leading the team with 53 hits and 46 runs scored. He is 13-for-15 in stolen bases.
- In all, five members are hitting over .300, while seven OSU batters have at least 10 extra-base hits.
- Right-handed reliever Austin Woodby claimed the win last time out vs. Purdue, throwing 2.2 scoreless innings. He played his freshman season for the Bearcats before joining the Scarlet and Gray. Woodby made 14 appearances from the bullpen with 20 strikeouts in 33.0 innings of work.
- The Buckeyes held their Senior Day last Sunday vs. the Boilermakers. The senior class includes student manager Drew Onega, Bo Coolen, Tyler Cowles, Noah McGowan, Curtiss Irving, Seth Kinker, Kyle Michalik, Adam Niemeyer, Yianni Pavlopoulos and Austin Woodby.
— Ohio State Baseball (@OhioState_BASE) May 14, 2018
Seth Kinker is one of 10 finalists for the 2018 Senior CLASS Award. Kinker, who has made 104 career appearances and leads the Big Ten in ERA at 1.15 is majoring in sport industry. He is from Huntington, W. Va., and Cabell-Midland High School. The Buckeyes are 22-3 in 2018 when Kinker is on the mound. Fans can vote for Seth Kinker on the award's official website at www.seniorclassaward.com through May 28. Fan votes will be combined with media and Division I head coaches’ votes to determine the winner. This year’s Senior CLASS Award winner will be announced during the 2018 College World Series® in June.
The Bearcats are 26-24 overall and 11-10 in conference action. Last time out, Cincinnati claimed a 4-3 upset over No. 10 East Carolina May 11, but fell the final two games of the series in Greenville, N.C. ECU hit a walk-off single in the ninth despite trailing 5-1 through seven frames and won, 6-5. The Bearcats are hitting .251 as a team with 79 doubles and 43 home runs. Manny Rodriguez is batting .302 with 14 doubles, three ripples and 10 home runs. On the mound, Cincinnati holds a 4.38 team ERA.
OHIO STATE VS. THE BEARCATS
Ohio State is 69-42-2 all-time vs. Cincinnati. The Buckeyes fell to the Bearcats, 7-1, in Columbus in 2017. Ohio State shut out the Bearcats, 6-0, in the last meeting at Marge Schott Stadium during the 2015 campaign.
OHIO STATE AS OF LATE
The Buckeyes are 6-4 in their last 10 games. The OSU bats are hitting .307 with 23 doubles and five home runs. Noah West is batting .375 (12-for-32) with two doubles, one homer and 15. Hit his first career grand slam in the win over Purdue last Sunday. Kobie Foppe is batting .368 (14-for-38) with two doubles and eight RBI and Jacob Barnwell is hitting .343 (12-for-35) with 11 runs scored. Last week, Dominic Canzone notched a .409 average with a .480 on-base percentage and Tyler Cowles hit .391 with four doubles, two home runs and six RBI. On the mound, Seth Kinker has made three appearances and collected two three-innings saves with seven strikeouts over seven. Austin Woodby claimed two wins last week with 4.2 scoreless innings of relief work in two appearances.
BIG TEN TOURNAMENT TICKETS ON SALE NOW
Tickets for the 2018 Big Ten Tournament May 23-27 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb., are on sale now. Tickets for the tournament can be purchased at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha starting one and a half hours prior to the start of the first game each day. Tickets are now on sale for all-session tickets, single-game tickets and group tickets. Please call the MECA Box Office (800-745-3000) or visit Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com.
The Buckeyes travel to East Lansing, Mich., to wrap up league play with a three-game series at Michigan State Thursday-Saturday. The first two games of the series will be televised live on BTN. All three games can be heard on AM 1460 ESPN.
The ultimate competitor, @sjkink_37.
🔥 @SnrCLASSAward Finalist
🔥 22-3 when No. 17 is on the mound
🔥 13 saves
🔥 B1G leader in ERA (1.15 ERA), 4th in 🇺🇸
🔥 B1G leader in K-BB ratio (12.50), 3rd in 🇺🇸
🔥 Two-time Academic All-B1G
▶️https://t.co/DwzqabgnO2 #GoBucks pic.twitter.com/bcAJX9Focz
— Ohio State Baseball (@OhioState_BASE) May 14, 2018
Six Buckeyes Named to All-Big Ten Teams